Binning, Banning, Ignoring

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

uEhGgMS.jpg

I don't speak for the others (I obviously do) but we don't want to moderate because it's a pain in the arse. Honestly if we had to do what any other properly moderated message board does we just wouldn't have a forum. It wouldn't be worth the headache. The sin bin isn't perfect, but it works for us because it means we don't really have to think about it. Please use the ignore button, or don't, or find another board or dont, or stay and be happy, or don't, or be a cunt.

*If someone was being really beyond the realms of normal vile then we'd ban them.
** If you ask me to define the 'realms of normal' then you're getting banned.

@ Tucker Tucker asks a provocative question:
Out of interest, how many sin bins can someone have before an outright ban?
I hadn't really considered this before, but it strikes me that banning on this site is/should be used as a different kind of tool than sin binning and ignoring. There are obviously no real rules, which is why I open up my reading to discussion from others:

Ignore: Ignore users who always say the same things, who are obnoxious, etc.

Sin Bin: Use for otherwise respected, useful members of the community who simply need a bit of a breather from the site. An anonymous, mob-enforced meltdown, as it were. This is how I imagine the sin bin has been used in the case of, say @ and @ . Sometimes things get a little out of control and the community decides someone needs to calm down / sober up / whatever.

Ban: This should be used primarily used to get rid of users who will never, ever contribute to the community. This includes obvious spammers and trolls from other clubs, etc. Someone like Xose, or the myriad goons who have their minders type in their passwords so they can flap away on threads after we suffer a defeat. If I had to guess, TFC bans only users who will literally never make an effort to engage in useful conversation. In other words, Spurs supporters shouldn't ever get banned from here.

So if a poster is Spurs and is persistently obnoxious, it strikes me that the proper course of action is to ignore. Let the person starve on his or her lack of attention.

Yet is that the appropriate response to someone who is acting homophobic / racist / antisocial in some way? Maybe not, especially since it's defined on denial. "La la la, the world is full of people saying homophobic things, but I have my little comfortable garden."

Sin binning isn't right either, since then the user returns triumphant, having proven by virtue of exile that the community is filled with silent nannies who, while afraid to hear "the truth" or something like that, answer to the call coming from Mount Politically Correct. Sin binning, I imagine, only emboldens the antisocial behaviour.

And banning seems to be, as noted above, only for obvious trolls / non-Spurs.

Back when racism was a bannable offense and not, instead, funny, as @ maria might say, it would have been clear what to do with a Spurs supporter who posts racist/homophobic stuff: ban. Now, I'm not so sure.

The sin bin can be abused so I don't think it would always be fair for people to be banned for X number of binnings because those binnings may be people ganging up against someone, whereas others get away scott free.

Personally I think there should be a very light set of rules that cover things like racism, bigotry, overt sexism and so on, but nothing really more than that. It would be down to the TFC boys to decide whether or not to ever use it to ban someone. I think sometimes it's important to know context of what someone posts before getting up in arms. For instance, if someone said "I have a nice pair of pink trousers" and someone posted a gif calling them gay that's clearly something said lightheartedly in jest, á la pub banter, rather than if someone launches a vicious multi-post tirade against homosexuals.

I think it's also worth considering just how much people want to change the place. The TFC lads said from the start that they didn't want it to be moderated up to the eyeballs like the other forums out there. That means that there will be all different types of people here. Sure, people like @ may not fit in with the sweetness and harmony that was the TFC forum echo chamber here before he and others joined, but are people like him actually doing anything wrong? I'm not convinced they are. Trolling/rowing/insulting is not actually against the rules here and some peoples' idea of banter and shooting the shit differs from others. The TFC forum has always been something that augments and changes with it's residents, just like a workplace, social spot or school does. The TFC lads seem pretty clear that they aren't going to change the freedoms on the site and the forum was never meant to be a "lets all join hands and agree" place. So the way I see it people accept that and either put up with it, putting people they dislike on ignore if necessary, or post elsewhere. In fact most of the people that go on about trolling here also have accounts at the other place, so it's not as if the vast majority can't get away from it when they fancy a breather from the more fiery environment.

Well considering the community has now dealt with his bigotry by a collective (yet anonymous) agreement that he should be sin binned I think it shows that the majority find his sentiments abhorrent.

Agreed.

It is still there though. And he will be back. I don't want to see anybody get benned, that's not my purpose at all. However, as it stands that comment is an indelible stain on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom