Benjamin Stambouli

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This guy is 24 but has never been capped by an average french team. How can he possibly be an improvement on the likes of Paulinho, Dembele, Sandro or even Benteleb. Fucking madness. I bet, just bet that whoever gets sold to make room commands a higher fee than what we pay for this chappie. So, it looks like no knew striker, no Scneiderlein, no J-Rod, no Moustachio etc etc. Talk about backing your new manager Levy you tight cunt.
Fella I find your anti Levy agenda nauseating. We have a transfer comity that consult on every player that comes in and out (all football men that make that decision). I would bet you have never heard of this guy, so why are you dismissing him before he has even kicked a ball, makes no sense to me.

Regarding Levy, he is our Chairman and SHOULD be held to account for his actions or lack of. This is our club and as fans we should always put pressure on whoever our Chairman is but please do it with objectivity and where you can substantiate your claims with some credence. Why don't you focus your anti agenda on his lack of communication with fans, the stadium etc there are plenty of things that he needs to answer to.

You also said you watch French Football in an attempt I make yourself seem more football Worldy and to suggest you know more about this guy then others who - as you said - hadn't heard if him since yesterday. You don't watch French Football - it's a blatant lie and you did it so people can turn to you and say

"Oh sammyspurs sammyspurs , please shower us with your knowledge of and French football" even though you can only tell us information from news now and what can be dug up on YouTube.

Basically, what I am saying is that you are one of two types of ITK.

Type 1) the kind that trawls News Now for all the latest news and then passes that same information on with a suggestion that they have some sort of unique link to Spurs that means they can break transfer stories before others - which they never do.

Type 2) People who claim to watch a lot more football then what they actually do. Therefore, when we get linked with a player from Spain, France, Germany or wherever it "oooo, I watch a lot of French Football so I know all about him" .... Fuck off - even if I believed you watch French football I would not believe you are an expert of every former French U21 international in the league.

I was saying I dont watch French football.

You should have paid attention to the jist of the post....and the fact I was using youtube, because I know nothing about him.

Now you look silly.

Apology accepted.

Whenever I see his name I can't help but think it sounds like some kind of desert.

1280px_Rub_al_Khali_002.jpg

Meet Tottenham target Benjamin Stambouli - Goal.com

The midfielder, also adept at playing at centre-back, is a cheaper alternative to the Southampton man, though is capable of enjoying similar success under Mauricio Pochettino

By Robin Bairner

Tottenham closed in on their sixth arrival of the summer transfer window on Friday evening when French outfit Montpellier announced that an accord had been reached over a fee for Benjamin Stambouli.

The holding midfielder, who celebrated his 24th birthday earlier this month, has long been tipped to depart the French champions of 2012, having outgrown a side that has regressed since the heady days of Olivier Giroud and Younes Belhanda.

Unlike Remy Cabella, who arrived at Newcastle from Montpellier with some fanfare, Stambouli is a player who has largely slipped under the radar of those who have only a fleeting interest in Ligue 1, despite having played over 100 matches in Le Championnat since debuting in 2010.

The reason? He is not a player of particular glamour, but like many of Mauricio Pocettino’s signings, he is a player of impressive consistency and fine technique.

He first made his breakthrough as a centre-back for the Stade de la Mosson side, but over the course of his stint in the senior team has shown versatility in his positioning, able to be used in the rearguard or as a bona fide central midfielder. More often than not, though, he is the holding presence in the midfield that binds the team together.

goal-plystats-ef17d9ce-8e7a-41ec-a921-2a332b0a5fdd.png

Spurs fans might have hoped for Morgan Schneiderlin this summer, but in Stambouli they have a player with the potential to replicate the astounding rise of the Southampton star, whose profile is remarkably similar to the player it seems they are about to sign.

Schneiderlin, though, is perhaps a more natural central midfielder; a player willing to shuttle box-to-box and cover every area of the field. Stambouli is not a figure wanting for commitment – his wholehearted approach to the game has won him a great deal of acclaim in France – yet he is most comfortable patrolling the area in front of the defence.

International acclaim has not been won yet beyond the Under-21 ranks. The vast majority of nations would have called upon a player of Stambouli’s quality by this point, but he is unfortunate that Didier Deschamps has at his disposal a raft of excellent midfield options, including Paul Pogba, Yohan Cabaye and Blaise Matuidi.

With a relatively modest price tag believed to be in the region of £5.5 million, driven down by the fact his contract is due to expire next summer as well as a lack of international pedigree, he represents a more economical option than Schneiderlin.

MIDFIELD MAESTRO | Only Cabella played more passes than Stambouli for Montpellier in Ligue 1 last season
And with value comes interest. Until Montpellier’s announcement, the French press were of the widespread belief that Fiorentina and Swansea were in pole position to sign the wild-haired player, who had previously rejected the advances of hometown club Marseille, where his father was recently relieved of his post as director of youth.

Stambouli indicated that he felt it likely that OM would want him to play in their problematic defence, but he told Midi Libre earlier in the week that he was “not really hot” on that prospect.

So what of the other offers that may yet see the player whisked away from the White Hart Lane club? As of lunchtime, Montpellier owner Louis Nicollin insisted that both Swansea and Fiorentina, who the player has reportedly discussed terms with, had failed to make concrete offers for a player whose family is laced with footballing tradition.

As well as his father’s involvement at Marseille, he is the nephew of Laurent Banide, a previous coach of Monaco, and the grandson of Gerard Banide, who was previously in charge of both the principality side and OM.

Stambouli’s comportment and application on the football field is one of someone who loves the game. His attitude has never been in question, and though he has been omitted from the Montpellier squad in the last two weeks owing to the rife transfer speculation, he has said: “I’m training as hard as possible. And if nothing happens, well, why shouldn’t I stay? It’s not so bad here.”

With such an outlook and the guiding hand of Pochettino at Tottenham, there is no reason why he could not follow in the footsteps of Dejan Lovren, who completed the transition from Ligue 1 to Premier League with great success under the Argentine.

Well you can go eat several dicks if you think that they are good enough.

dembele - glides with the ball yes, but when he gets to the final third he just hasn't a clue what to do.
Paulinho - see world cup highlights. levy will have some trouble recouping his money there.
sandro - an enforcer and nothing else. capoue does his job way more effectively with his passing range

You're basing that on last season. You can't base fucking shit on last season when it comes to the indivdual skill of Spurs players. Every single one looked shit for the majority of the season, because of the complete clusterfuck managing of AVB.

Sandro has suffered from several injuries. If he can come back from them he can get back to the level that he was at, which was top world class DM enforcing play. Dembeles stats says he creates chances, he does, while at the same time being excellent defensively. Go to Squawka and compare defensive score, offensive score and chances created for Stambouli, Schneiderlin and Dembele, in the 2013/14 season. Even then, in Tottenhams disaster season, with Dembele seeming unmotivated for a long period of time, he crushes the others on those stats. Dembele is an absolute midfield beast, and would be top top class with the right coaching.

Paulinho didn't have a very good season, but he has showed his class in some games, and it's clear to me that he needs game time and confidence in a dynamic team with a plan - which is what Poch's Spurs will be.

This guy is 24 but has never been capped by an average french team. How can he possibly be an improvement on the likes of Paulinho, Dembele, Sandro or even Benteleb. Fucking madness. I bet, just bet that whoever gets sold to make room commands a higher fee than what we pay for this chappie. So, it looks like no knew striker, no Scneiderlein, no J-Rod, no Moustachio etc etc. Talk about backing your new manager Levy you tight cunt.
Cheer up, it's only a game...

Our transfer policy has never changed - buy young with potential and sell for profit while playing victim to the fans. This fella is likely to appreciate in future so fits the pattern perfectly.

Remember, Whinger also signed many unknown French players, the majority of whom turned out class - I'm all for development of young talent, personally.

Let's not write him off before he's kicked a ball, mate

Last edited:
I'm delighted with all the transfer work that's happened this summer. It seems really well thought out, sticking to our norm of developing and profiting on players while gradually over the years increasing our squad quality and depth, and not gaining debt.

Look at the shocking business being done elsewhere and count yourself lucky!

To me, the players look a true mix of Poch, Levy and our scouts working together well.

I think this season could be the first time we've had all three of quality; depth, and competition for places; and balance. Injuries up front could hurt us, is all, if we got unlucky.

Add what looks like a good manager and we really could challenge for a top three place.

There might be areason why he cost £4.7m
Quote wiki: During the 2013/14 season, Stambouli played 37 out of Montpellier's 38 league games and was even promoted to position of vice-captain behind Brazilian Hilton.

He managed to take Montpelier to 15th in ligue 1, 2 points from relegation to ligue 2 sorry If I come across as deflated but I cant see how this is an improvement.
He was raised by nuns. You know who else was brought up in a religious establishment?

Hitman_3_artwork.jpg

We've signed a young guy with talent that didn't cost much and who's price will only go up. How awful of Levy, to try and keep our club afloat. Don't know why everyone is making such a big fuss about this? We've swapped Holtby and Sandro for Stambouli. I honestly cannot see the downside there. One player that can do at least the same as two.
I know everyone loves Sandro but lets face it, since his injury he's been a shadow of his former self. If he goes to QPR and does ok we get what, 12 million for him? and we're 7 million up and no worse off. If He regains form we get a great player back and can sell Stambouli. Thats not even taking Holtby into account who is basically surplus anyway.

Back
Top Bottom