Ballon d'Or

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm with this man.
B4LNO9dIYAA2lhd.jpg

Mental that Messi has won it on the back of a tournament which lasted a month when Haaland was the Prem top scorer and his team won a treble,

I love Messi but it's obviously been given to him for sentimental reasons.

He scored loads of goals. Didn't net a single one beyond the quarter finals of any of the competitions they won however.

If anyone other than Messi were to win it and it had to be from City, it wouldn't have been Haaland for me, personally.

Haaland broke the Premier League record for goals in a season, most goals in a debut season, first player in the Prem to score 3 consecutive hat tricks, most goals scored by a PL player in all comps, CL top scorer as well etc...

Also if we're using the logic of him not scoring in key matches after QF's, PSG got knocked out of the 2nd round of the CL which Messi played, blanked twice against Bayern, got knocked out of the French Cup in the last 16 as well, Messi blanked and then he fucked off to the US bossing a league levels below him.

Messi only won in because his team won the world cup which is a huge feat but that tournament is only played one month of the year and let's face it Argentina only turned up for 6 matches because they were dog in that Saudi match, he shouldn't be judged on that because it's a seasonal award anyway.

At the end of the day we know what these awards are, they're a popularity contest but there's no reason why Messi couldn't have been given the Super Ballon D'or like they gave to De Stefano which is essentially a lifetime achievement award.

You can say that about Rodri, Dias or many other players in that team.

And so you could, but goals will also weigh heavier on how matches are decided than anything else or any other contribution, that's why goal scorers are respected and always recognised the most in these types of awards and rightly so, when was the last time a CB or DMF got awarded with a Ballon D'or?

Last edited:
I’m not really following what he’s done this year but is Messi really deserving of an 8th?

Bump btw

Won the World Cup, Ligue 1, & Trophee des Champions, got the World Cup Golden Ball, won FIFA Men's Player 2022, broke many World Cup records; the oldest man to ever score 5 goals at a single World Cup first to score in every round, most minutes played in World Cup history, most appearances and broke another record by becoming the all-time top scorer in Europe's top five leagues.

21 goals and 20 assists in 40 games at club level. 17 goals and 5 asissts at international level.

It's always been a popularity contest though to be fair

Hell, he may even win. He's going to get 60 in all comps at the rate he's going

No one playing in the Bundesliga is going to win a ballon d'or without winning a domestic treble.

I think it'll likely go to Bellingham if anything

I think Real Madrid could quite easily win the Champions League. He's already having a record breaking season for the biggest club in the world and if England go far, even potentially win the Euros than I'd say he was a guarantee.

He's the talk of the town, players will hate playing against him but love playing with him and once you've got a hype machine behind you, you're on your way
Maybe next year if he wins it but def not this year.

Kane will win it based on the fact he left us to win it!!*

Nailed on!

...either that, or it'll be Messi/Ronaldo/Mbappe/Neymar/Puskas/Pele again!

* Edit; seems like he's not in the Top 10 after all... :kanehand:
Ah well... Next year when he's rewarded for his 100 goals in a season for Bayern!

Kane will win it based on the fact he left us to win it!!*

Nailed on!

...either that, or it'll be Messi/Ronaldo/Mbappe/Neymar/Puskas/Pele again!

* Edit; seems like he's not in the Top 10 after all... :kanehand:
Ah well... Next year when he's rewarded for his 100 goals in a season for Bayern!
It will really depend on how he performs in the UCL.. so far 3 games, 2 goals and 2assist which is pretty great.

But we all know who Harry is...... how he tends to shrink as the pressure amounts. We will see when he gets to the knockout stages.

Last edited:
Mental that Messi has won it on the back of a tournament which lasted a month when Haaland was the Prem top scorer and his team won a treble,

I love Messi but it's obviously been given to him for sentimental reasons.
If France had won on pens, Messi probably doesn’t win this. If Messi was Norwegian and Haaland Argentinian, Messi probably doesn’t even play in the WC.

Just a weird way to award what is supposed to be for best player.

Back
Top Bottom