Bad Atmosphere and how to combat it!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My early years as a spurs fan were spent in that part of the ground. I had my choice of course a my dad was the one who owned the season tickets and I was 12-17 years old.

It's always been like that an I can't see it changing. Not everyone goes to football to act like a mentalist, especially not in dead rubber walk-over cup games like last night.

A much bigger problem is the traditionally rowdier areas are getting quieter. That's where a difference can be made.

In terms of last night I thought there was a decent amount of chanting going on considering how flat the occasion was. I know we're all about sing for the shirt no matter what yadda yadda but the opposition were so shite it was like watching a training session. Personally I found it a struggle to even celebrate our goals.

1882 is great because we an still have a fun time at football even when what's going on on the pitch is boring as fuck. But sadly I can't see the majority of fans doing this until the club designate singing areas on a regular basis.

Lots of people watch games without adding to the atmosphere. Don't think there's anything wrong with that personally. They should be told by the club to sit in west stand and Paxton. The Shelf and Park Lane should be advertised as frequent standing lots of noise unsuitable for families.
Completely agree. Even in the noisier parts of Europe, the hardcore supporters only take up one stand and the rest of the stadium is for families and normal fans. Truth of the matter is, 60-70% of fans only want to watch the game in silence unless it's a massive game. No problem with that, but like you say if the club let there be areas where people who want to can stand, swear, sing what they like and respond to the away fans without fear of being chucked out, and the families have their own stands to, then everyone gets what they want.

Completely agree. Even in the noisier parts of Europe, the hardcore supporters only take up one stand and the rest of the stadium is for families and normal fans. Truth of the matter is, 60-70% of fans only want to watch the game in silence unless it's a massive game. No problem with that, but like you say if the club let there be areas where people who want to can stand, swear, sing what they like and respond to the away fans without fear of being chucked out, and the families have their own stands to, then everyone gets what they want.

We need to consolidate what noise we do have into one stand. Though season tickets etc will make impossible.

Perhaps in 2040 when we eventually get a new ground this could be done from the offset with the club suggesting a certain stand is "loud" and not suitable for families. Though this again is probably unlikely.

When he played!
This got me thinking about Squad depth and why it's so important. Remember 1997/98 when we were relegation fodder. Well, I think a large part of that and our miraculous revival at the end of the season was Anderton and Ferdinand being injured for most of the season. We didn't have adequate cover for them. When they came back in and Klinsmann had a legendary swansong, we played pretty well.

Can you think of any position in the current squad in which an injury would be as disastrous? I can't.

This got me thinking about Squad depth and why it's so important. Remember 1997/98 when we were relegation fodder. Well, I think a large part of that and our miraculous revival at the end of the season was Anderton and Ferdinand being injured for most of the season. We didn't have adequate cover for them. When they came back in and Klinsmann had a legendary swansong, we played pretty well.

Can you think of any position in the current squad in which an injury would be as disastrous? I can't.

LB and RB for me those are our only sort of weakish links right now if we were to get long term injuries for.

We need to consolidate what noise we do have into one stand. Though season tickets etc will make impossible.

This. Pack and cuddle up all the singing people and you'll see a huge difference in sound levels. What's most important about it is that it makes people sing louder and longer.
When most people that could be singing are in fact singing, I can usually hear that it's quite alright on WHL.
Worst problem to me is that every chant fades away in less than half a minute.
All these chants for players doesn't make it better. Get going really well with about 5-10 songs and you might see other people on the arena actually catch up and sing along, people who usually doesn't sing.

The longer a chant keeps hold, the more people from other sections of the arena will join in. Someone must lead the rest. It will not start by itself, that is all too embarrassing to people.
You could use a Capo to dictate the singing and even hush down the noisiest part of the arena to get it united.

Speaking of atmosphere. I've been to a lot of football grounds around the country and the worst atmosphere I've ever seen was at Reading. Their fans just don't sing at all. Norwich too was pretty bad but that was a long time ago. In Spain, Rayo Vallecano has awesome atmosphere because of the type of club they are (working class, very political) and their weird stadium (it has 3 sides and is very intimate).

A lot of the bad atmosphere in UK grounds is down to the stadium design. WHL is on the better end of the scale for intimacy. The old Dell was so crammed the players could feel the fans' breath on their necks. St. Mary's is a library.

Our new stadium design should make the most out of acoustics (or at least that's what they tell us). Imagine how rubbish the atmosphere would have been if we'd won the Olympic Stadium bid. Mark my words, that place will be a graveyard for West Ham and their fans will hate it. Ha ha ha!

This. Pack and cuddle up all the singing people and you'll see a huge difference in sound levels. What's most important about it is that it makes people sing louder and longer.
When most people that could be singing are in fact singing, I can usually hear that it's quite alright on WHL.
Worst problem to me is that every chant fades away in less than half a minute.
All these chants for players doesn't make it better. Get going really well with about 5-10 songs and you might see other people on the arena actually catch up and sing along, people who usually doesn't sing.

The longer a chant keeps hold, the more people from other sections of the arena will join in. Someone must lead the rest. It will not start by itself, that is all too embarrassing to people.
You could use a Capo to dictate the singing and even hush down the noisiest part of the arena to get it united.

Is this similar to Hug a Hoodie?:ossie: Cuddle a Casual has a nice ring to it.

This is a subject I have posted on many times. The people that tend to sing come from a certain class, and that class isn't prevalent in the West stand, and unfortunately due to ticket prices, that class is disappearing from the game. Accompanied by political correctness and kick off times, the atmosphere will continue to die.

Imagine how rubbish the atmosphere would have been if we'd won the Olympic Stadium bid. Mark my words, that place will be a graveyard for West Ham and their fans will hate it. Ha ha ha!

Our bid involved knocking it down and rebuilding it though....

Last edited:
The west stand was a disaster from the start, ugly grey and characterless (and over budget) it was never going to be a success and it ripped the heart out of the ground. It's predecessor was probably the best place to watch Spurs in my opinion, in the old enclosure near the tunnel .I sat/stood in there against forest in the league cup in 82 when it wasn't even supposed to be open and have never returned. Only the end bits in the lower tier have ever sung, mainly by the park lane but really it's shit. The shelf by the park lane (the cage to older readers) used to be good for noise but even that is pathetic now. We are not alone though as there are many, many libraries in the premier league now, sad to say we are now amongst them. Not the worst by a long shot but fuck it's changed.
imgres

I
The west stand was a disaster from the start, ugly grey and characterless (and over budget) it was never going to be a success and it ripped the heart out of the ground. It's predecessor was probably the best place to watch Spurs in my opinion, in the old enclosure near the tunnel .I sat/stood in there against forest in the league cup in 82 when it wasn't even supposed to be open and have never returned. Only the end bits in the lower tier have ever sung, mainly by the park lane but really it's shit. The shelf by the park lane (the cage to older readers) used to be good for noise but even that is pathetic now. We are not alone though as there are many, many libraries in the premier league now, sad to say we are now amongst them. Not the worst by a long shot but fuck it's changed.
imgres
The old stand didn't have a tunnel. The players came out of the east stand.

Mr.Always right...you are incorrect there sorry to say. There has never been a players tunnel in the East stand and the tunnel in the west stand was down by the park lane. It's where the 'Up the Spurs' banner was for years and years.

with so many travelling one day fans possibly consider handing out flyers with words to most common songs.
sounds a bit corny but you are looking for suggestions...

to say people don't want noise is wrong, majority want to be jumping and screaming and feeling tension.
just not that much in it at the moment to really get the passions going.

Back
Top Bottom