AVB

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As much as I agree with that, and I did like AVB, we all did deep down, and we all (as fans) wanted him to do well....

What led to his dismissal, despite what is above, and as true as it all is, is that between refusing to give in (determination) and refusing to adapt (stubbornness) he seemed to choose the latter.

AVB will have the ability and will prove it one day, but he needs to perhaps develop as a manager before that happens. Is it an 'age' thing? who knows. If he's managing at Tim's age, I guarantee the nativity will have gone.

The best thing for AVB will be to learn from this and take the positives, but unfortunately he showed more signs of resent and bitterness with his last employer than wisdom

I'd be surprised if anyone that could afford to hire him in the PL would have him.

As long as people like Mark Hughes keep getting jobs, nothing will ever surprise me in football management. I bet some mug will even take over at Cardiff despite the fact that the owner is an absolute head-case...even at Chelsea managers arrive one after the other, each apparently oblivious to the fact that, at best, they will be little more successful than the last!

I wanted to reiterate in this thread what @ Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon said in the Sherwood thread, namely that it's worth remembering that the OS suggested that the termination was by mutual consent, which means that it may be that AVB stubbornly stood up to Levy's insisting he start Adebayor (say) and walked out the door.

This of course problematises the Levy hate (though his risk-taking with Sherwood is ample fuel in replacement), since we can't really criticise Levy for abandoning his long-term plan if AVB effectively quit.

I wanted to reiterate in this thread what @ Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon said in the Sherwood thread, namely that it's worth remembering that the OS suggested that the termination was by mutual consent, which means that it may be that AVB stubbornly stood up to Levy's insisting he start Adebayor (say) and walked out the door.

This of course problematises the Levy hate (though his risk-taking with Sherwood is ample fuel in replacement), since we can't really criticise Levy for abandoning his long-term plan if AVB effectively quit.

I picture the encounter as more like;

DL: You are accountable for the bad results, how are things going to change? Play Adebayor.
AVB: No, you are accountable for the bad results because you didn't sign the players I wanted. How much money will I get in January?

some of the statements about AVB on here are a disgrace. regardless of what you made of his tactics the guy only ever worked his arse off for the club to succeed and was incredibly respectful to us the whole time he was our manager, representing us very well off the pitch.

For me, AVB wasn't given the proper time. "But he had 18 months (or so...)" - For 12 months of that, we played a "system" that was suited to Gareth Bale. AVB realized we didn't have the players to play his system and that it wasn't worth trying because Bale would be better than that. AVB was smart and played to Bale's strength. He had about 4 months to actually work with 9 new players to play a completely new system. AVB started with the defense, and had the defense playing wonderfully before Lloris' injury, Vertonghen's injury, Chiriches' injury, and Rose's injury. AVB had us dominating the midfield and suffocating the other team. I saw no reason that would lead me to believe that AVB wouldn't also work out the offensive third.

As this is the AVB thread im going to risk my reputation and fucking get it off my chest. I WANT AVB RE-INSTATED I miss his touchline celebrations, his gruff voice, his hugs with bale, winning at old trafford. I want the good times back. I want my tottenham back. We started to feel like a big club again with AVB. Now i think this is how it must feel supporting fulham or norwich. Having this upstart in charge makes us look and feel like a small club
. Oh fuck it.

Last edited:
........ I want my tottenham back. We stsrted to feel like a big club again wiyh AVB. Now i think this is how it must feel supporting fulham or norwich. Having this upstart in charge makes us look and feel like a small club
. Oh fuck it.
This.
While I'm going to support and give TS a chance, surely imo, Levy has brought us a step back with this appointment.
Oh well, here's to hoping it ends up being a genius master plan.

AVB got shafted by Levy that much is clear. From Modric/Moutinho to Bale/Villa/Hulk and probably alot more we don't have a clue about. Harry also got shafted even after he delivered CL footy, Jol too. Unfortunately we'll never have any continuity from a manager while Levy rules with an iron fist.

The relationship between a manager and chairman should be like a healthy marriage were they work through problems and differences with lots of communication while supporting each other. Unfortunately Levy is like one of them rich guys with 5 ex wives who wants to dictate everything and takes responsibility for nothing. LOL

We all keep thinking that if TS doesn't preform to our needs, Levy will go out and hire a LvG or a FdB or someone. But if this Timmy pawn of Levy does royally fuck up, and we end up being 8th or 9th, I doubt we'll attract a top gaffer when our players are packing their bags to elsewhere.

I just can't believe that I thought that this was going to our season... the foundation of something great. :(
We had a vision, but now we only have hopes. ... hopefully we don't become Leeds 2.0
#Gutted

Quite simply, he needed more time. He has a football brain.

integrating 7 new first team signings is impossible over night. (Even on football manager). Agreed the spankings were hard to take. But I foresee more under sherwood. It is the same "un-gelled" squad with a "worse" (going on experience here) manager. Sherwood will not do any better. It is just a shame you cannot prove this and it will all just be "what ifs" etc.

This isn't a sherwood dig, I am behind any manager of Spurs. I just feel it was the wrong decision.

Onwards and upwards though... COYS.

We had a vision, but now we only have hopes. ... hopefully we don't become Leeds 2.0
#Gutted

I don't think we run a great risk of being a Leeds 2.0 under Levy, as he runs too tight a financial ship to put us in that position. However, a return to mid - table mediocrity is a distinct possibility :memeokay:

Quite simply, he needed more time. He has a football brain.

integrating 7 new first team signings is impossible over night. (Even on football manager). Agreed the spankings were hard to take. But I foresee more under sherwood. It is the same "un-gelled" squad with a "worse" (going on experience here) manager. Sherwood will not do any better. It is just a shame you cannot prove this and it will all just be "what ifs" etc.

This isn't a sherwood dig, I am behind any manager of Spurs. I just feel it was the wrong decision.

Onwards and upwards though... COYS.

If Sherwood puts out them lite weight midfields against manure and the scum we'll get fuckn spanked bad by both.

I hope he gives Capoue a start verse Stoke to help him get ready for the bigger matches. His preference for Bentaleb over the Frenchman is abit mystifying at best.

He is just trying to make his mark, and to be quite frank I don't give a shit about his mark. I want what is best for spurs now. Play Capoue, play Holtby. If he needs to play the kids, bring them on when we are comfortable (if ever). I see Sherwood as in it for himself more so than perhaps we need right now!

Back
Top Bottom