Attacking Players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jheez21

Oh Teddy Teddy
I don't know what the protocol is here on creating new threads but a lot of the talk in the forums of late has been of Defenders and Midfielders with that knack of breaking up play and protecting the back four... Things that we need yes of course but we have signed a couple of defenders already and with a few others in the pipelines i just wanted to turn everyones attention to the other end of the pitch, because after all spurs will always be rubbish at the back, thats why we have Lloris :llorishuh:
At times last year, well most of last year we looked stale and flat, out of ideas. Without Kane making something out of nothing, the odd cameo from Chadli and a Eriksen free kick here and there we were god awful at making chances. Defences don't fear us they sit back and wait in the knowledge that eventually we would mess it all up ourselves, and as fan keeping possesion for 60% of the game but not much happening is awfully frustrating.
We do have weapons we just dont use them i dont think, we should counter attack and fast we have pace and dribblers but in that slow build up play they all look like :townhmm:

Who would you keep and who would you let go and what sort of players would we be excited to see in our team...?
Who knows we might even find somebody who could wake up Paxton :kaneear::vdvhmm:

I'm all for attacking players... if they deserve it... unprovoked abuse on the other hand is unacceptable!

....oh, you meant more positional! :paulinhofacepalm:

4 posts, 0 rep - starts a new thread

Whipper-snappers have no respect these days

:llorisserious:

4 posts, 0 rep - starts a new thread

Whipper-snappers have no respect these days

:llorisserious:

And yet its more insightful than anything you've posted in the past few days.

FWIW, I agree with the OP. I think we will need to shift a couple (Soldado, Lennon/Townsend) in order to bring new players in and it is difficult to find this type of exciting, match-winning player for the budget that we will attempt to pay. Then again, the manager's style in more around control of a game from what it seems rather than the 'gung-ho' approach some hark back to from a previous regime but this patient approach doesn't always work.

We'll likely look at some up and coming potential which is more of a gamble than I'd like but it would be nice to see some energy thrust into our attacking play which may prevent us from slipping to soft 1-0 defeats home and away.

You sir have got the right idea :freund:

Sorry boss all the talk about defenders was boring me !
Great post - just kidding

My number one player on the wishlist this summer remains an attacking wide unit who can cover out left. Pity we missed out on Ayew, Depay and Konoplyanka

Hmmm finding a decent left sided player is always tough, other than Hazard + Sanchez Bolasie is the only player on the left side that really made things happen, but he is inconsistant. Top targets abroad have already moved on like you said so where do we go now? Mirallas was mentioned as part of the deal for Lennon at one stage but that has all gone away

We'll likely look at some up and coming potential which is more of a gamble than I'd like but it would be nice to see some energy thrust into our attacking play which may prevent us from slipping to soft 1-0 defeats home and away.

Energy and Thrust has been lacking for a while now but we have our moments, Chelsea 5-3 comes to mind as the last time we actually just went for it and attacked a team relentlessly.
im only 22 but as far as i remember spurs have always been great to watch going forward always leaky at the back. Gung-Ho is the not the way i wanna go but if you have the ball as much we do we need players that can make the possession count, just don't feel like we have enough to do it at the moment

Levy has apparently struck a deal with the Belgian FA to provide the NT players with the necessary training facilities, massages and big houses to rest in during the empty periods when there is no national team football. So lets go for Mertens next.

I don't follow other teams well enough to come up with any suggestions for new players, but a player doing well in one league and country, isn't always going to do so in another league and for a different team. It seems like it's just as important to consider how a new signing will fit together with our other players and within the system. While this has to do with the quality of the player, I'm not aware of a signing that would individually make us that much better, possibly making the above thing more important.

But with regard to mutual understanding between certain players, at least from time to time, you could say that there was a lot of improvement last year. Both Chadli and lamela looked better than in their first season, and more confident within the system (within a system). I can imagine that this will only improve in the upcoming season. Even though we could do with an addition behind the striker, I think that the biggest improvement of our attacking play would possibly be a good signing in central midfield. People have been talking about this signing improving the defense, but it seems just as important from an offensive perspective. Much of the defensive problems arrised from central midfield (and our offensive play generally not being good enough), but getting a player in this position that can also contribute to the offensive part of the game seems key (partly through defensive ability).

Writing this, I cannot help but think that the balance of the team is a bit off, and has been for most of the time since I began watching the team. A central midfielder could be the solution, but the team has looked far better overall when playing with dembele as part of midfield. It really gave something to the other forward players, while it has often seemed like a more offensive looking team on paper (with either Townsend, Chadli, lamela, eriksen behind Kane) has made each other look much worse and less dynamic.

While not a suggestion for a new player, I hope that lamela will be moved to a more central position (at least in pre season to see how it works out - like last year) and, ideally - even though it maybe cannot work - with eriksen moving a bit deeper to become more of the playmaking player he used to be.

Dembele behind striker is a no brainer he plays much better up the pitch.
Eriksen from deep is also worth a shout i don't know many spurs fans that think of him as a centre midfielder but he would pull the strings only thing is the physicality of the midfield battle in england is intese...
Lamella just needs to smarten up his decision making and he will be great.

Dembele behind striker is a no brainer he plays much better up the pitch.
Eriksen from deep is also worth a shout i don't know many spurs fans that think of him as a centre midfielder but he would pull the strings only thing is the physicality of the midfield battle in england is intese...
Lamella just needs to smarten up his decision making and he will be great.

That dembele should play a bigger part in the team seems obvious, and yet he hasn't (and there must be some reason for that). I guess it also works better in some games than others, depending on the opposition and how the game is going to be played. But I still don't understand why he hasn't been used more often..

As for eriksen, I think your right. But I didn't mean to suggest that he would be playing as one of the two central midfielders (more like him dropping deep more often from further up). While it is nice having him making good runs from time to time, I think that he is maybe better when on the ball more, facing goal (and has more people in front of him making runs that he can pick out - or just distribute the ball well, creating chances in this way, indirectly). But it's difficult. If somebody drops deep you would maybe miss that extra attacking player.

Also, when not taking up the same position, lamela and eriksen seems to have a good mutual understanding. It would be nice if they could exploit it and actually make each other look better.

I take your point, but I didn't know that their relationship had come to this. On the other hand I would have expected more from lamela, but a quick remark seems to have put him off.

Levy has apparently struck a deal with the Belgian FA to provide the NT players with the necessary training facilities, massages and big houses to rest in during the empty periods when there is no national team football. So lets go for Mertens next.

Full Belgian first team almost at Spurs, shame we didn't get Hazard.

Back
Top Bottom