Aptitude and Atitude

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm very worried about the quality of footballer Spurs tend to buy especially in aptitude and attitude in recent years.

There definitely appears to be a degree of mentality issues throughout the team and I agree with Pochettino.

Is it the food we are eating? Too many late nights? Is the training really that tough and leading to tiredness? Or are we plagued by a team who quite possibly couldn't pass the 11 Plus let alone a football?

Week in and out we the fans see the obvious passes, the right decision to move into space, the missing triangular play, the poor defensive positioning, the same old corner or free kicks that never beat the opposition's first line of defence (lift the ball Eriksen!), etc...

What can be done? Education and training for sure. I believe tacticians should concentrate and educate our players more on the obvious stuff, the simple play and positioning that works, promote what each and every position is about and what they should be doing.
If a player can't respond then find a player with a brain who can.
I lost count last season the amount of times Kyle Walker would tear up the wing and then stop and look round in exasperation - with no one to pass to or just mindless attempts to rid himself of the ball - and its not just him. Many of our midfield this season seem clueless.
A large part of this is down to education and tactics. We need to get back to the thinking man's game - not just the flair and skills which rarely come off.

Thoughts?

I'm very worried about the quality of footballer Spurs tend to buy especially in aptitude and attitude in recent years.

There definitely appears to be a degree of mentality issues throughout the team and I agree with Pochettino.

Is it the food we are eating? Too many late nights? Is the training really that tough and leading to tiredness? Or are we plagued by a team who quite possibly couldn't pass the 11 Plus let alone a football?

Week in and out we the fans see the obvious passes, the right decision to move into space, the missing triangular play, the poor defensive positioning, the same old corner or free kicks that never beat the opposition's first line of defence (lift the ball Eriksen!), etc...

What can be done? Education and training for sure. I believe tacticians should concentrate and educate our players more on the obvious stuff, the simple play and positioning that works, promote what each and every position is about and what they should be doing.
If a player can't respond then find a player with a brain who can.
I lost count last season the amount of times Kyle Walker would tear up the wing and then stop and look round in exasperation - with no one to pass to or just mindless attempts to rid himself of the ball - and its not just him. Many of our midfield this season seem clueless.
A large part of this is down to education and tactics. We need to get back to the thinking man's game - not just the flair and skills which rarely come off.

Thoughts?

Maybe that why the simple order, tactics and discipline of Redknapp and to a good degree Sherwood worked, our players are perhaps not clever enough to understand more complex tactics. Thier foreign accents and high price tags may mask the fact we have a load of chavs and Harry Kane/Ryan Mason may be the brightest men in the dressing room who knows.

In seriousness if something remotely like this is the case we may just not have the players for the likes of AVB or Poch to make a success of it. We may prosper more under a traditional manager, either than or let Poch drive the transfers not Levy.

Back
Top Bottom