Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Same could be said for you about Conte.

Why are you so hellbent on defending him when he had absolutely no respect for our club?

That meltdown at Southampton was nothing more than self preservation, and throwing his resignation on the desk, without actually doing so in order to get a nice pay off

Yes things needed to change at the club, but he had no desire to be here any longer than he needed to, he saw getting us top 4 as an achievement and bailed soon after. We needed more than that from him
I probably wouldn't say anything if people weren't themselves making things up.
No one really knows what would have happened had he had a stable 22/23 season. The fact is, most coaches around Europe get around 2 years on average anyway. He was brought in to get us in the CL and did it. At the expense of Arse. And he was, whether fans like it or not, on course to repeat it.

I was absolutely fucking livid he basically threw the 2nd leg against Milan, I would have sacked him for that btw.. That was before Southampton.
That was a far bigger crime against THFC than saying some home truths.

Oh come on, you don't believe that, do you?
Levy, in 24 years of leaving coaches short of what they need and signing the 3rd player on their list suddenly went and got all of the coaches demanded targets.
Don't pick and chose when it was a coaches player and when it was a directors player.
VDV, Vicario and Maddison were all signed after converstions with Ange, I didn't think that was up for discussion

edit: throw in Johnson as well but I'm unsure if he had been a target before Ange arrived tbh

Last edited:
It was an international break. He was always due to leave the country and go back to Italy.
What is almost certain, is that he was told not to come back or contact the players shortly after and the response was planned in the coming weeks by the club.
You seem to want to invent scenario's to reinforce your obvious irrational hatred.
Should we have drawn with Southampton, no.
Should we have been utterly fucking twatted by Fulham the other week? Hell no. Are you frothing at the mouth with rage on that? Nope.

Again... Bollocks,

Oh come on, you don't believe that, do you?
Levy, in 24 years of leaving coaches short of what they need and signing the 3rd player on their list suddenly went and got all of the coaches demanded targets.
Don't pick and chose when it was a coaches player and when it was a directors player.
Difference was those targets were attainable. While Conte demanded Bastoni or Gvardiol and wanted no one else. Conte only wanted established players hece we signed Perisic, Bissouma, Richarlison and loaned Lenglet. Conte had massive inluence on whom we signed. Even though none of the players met his criteria but because they had X,Y and Z experience he wanted to sign. He sabotaged himself with his targets and unlike what he said did not want to build anything.

While Ange worked with the club on the targets and want targets that want to be at the club. He did not set Bastoni as his only target knowing the player did not want to come.

VDV, Vicario and Maddison were all signed after converstions with Ange, I didn't think that was up for discussion

edit: throw in Johnson as well but I'm unsure if he had been a target before Ange arrived tbh
That doesn't mean he identified them and wanted them. It just means he spoke to them when we were pursuing them. They're all scouted players, he likely had little to do with them.

That doesn't mean he identified them and wanted them. It just means he spoke to them when we were pursuing them. They're all scouted players, he likely had little to do with them.

So, ignore tangible evidence in favour of fan fiction?

All managers have to work with their scouting teams on signings. That was the problem with Conte he would be given a list of centre backs with data about them and would choose Lenglet because of his experience instead of a young player. The only man Conte trusted to give him youth players was Giuseppe Marotta, also the man behind much of Conte's success.

real manager takes some resposibility especially since I spent money to go see Spurs in Milan and to be told a few games later a bad performance was my fault.
Give me a break, did Poch take responsability when we were shit in his last season? Most of his pressers were like “we must improve, we must play better, we must find solutions” bla bla. Did he come out and say how he fucked up after being knocked out by a League Two side? We’ve been subject to some embarrassing defeats over the last seasons, Colchester, Mura, Dinamo Zagreb, yet losing to Milan is aching so hard for some reason. Is it because your judgement is clouded because you’ve been butthurt after Conte came out and blasted the players (and I’d say the board too) in public?

A tough penalty decision to take but at 3-1 up with 15 minutes to go, should your team be drawing that match?
Conte: "If we are going to discuss about the penalty it means we don't want to see other situations. For the penalty for me it was not a penalty. I stop, we close the situation. The worst situation is what was happening on the pitch. What has been happening in the last few months, what's happening in this, my second season.

"I think that it's the right moment to speak because I think that after this performance, for me this is unacceptable. We are winning 3-1, in control of the game and you are able to concede two goals and to risk, because also Fraser [Forster] made a fantastic save in one situation.

"I think it's much better to go into the problem, because the problem is that for another time we showed that we are not a team.

"We are 11 players that go into the pitch. I see selfish players. I see players that don't want to help each other and don't put their heart [into it].

"First of, today I prefer to hide this situation and to try to speak, to try to improve the spirit, the situation, with the words. With a lot of situations. Because about tactical or technical aspect, this is one situation.

"The most important thing if you want to become a strong team, if you want to become competitive, if you want to fight to win, is the desire, the fire that you need to have in your eyes, in your heart. And you have to show this in every moment. In every moment.

"If I have to compare last season and this season, I said to improve, now we are worse in this aspect. When you are not a team, everything can happen, in any moment. Today is the last situation. Don’t forget that in the FA Cup we lost to Sheffield United, who played with young players. We were able with a strong team to be dropped in FA Cup. And then a lot of situations, I repeat, that we are not going to improve. And I am not speaking about tactical aspect or technical aspect.

"To be a team, to be a team, to be a team, this the most important thing. To understand that we play for the badge. We have to play to make our fans proud of us. We have to play to show desire. The fire in your eyes to win. If you have this, for sure, you don't go out in the FA Cup. Today, you win. Maybe, previously, in the other games, maybe, maybe something can change.

"But here, we're used to it for a long time. The club has the responsibility for the transfer market, every coach that stayed here has the responsibility. And the players? The players? Where are the players? About my experience, I can tell you that if you want to be competitive, if you want to fight, you have to improve this aspect. And now this aspect, for me, in this moment is really, really low. And I see only 11 players that play for themselves."

Antonio, this is a difficult question to ask but do you think your position, the uncertainty over your future…?
Conte: "You are finding an alibi, another alibi. You try to find an alibi, an excuse for the players. OK, continue, continue to do this, to find an excuse for the players. You do only this! You do only this. Excuses for the players. But the players, maybe, my future, then they lost confidence, they lost spirit, they lost being a team. Excuse. Excuse. Excuse. Try to protect, try to protect them every time.

"Come on, come on, come on. We are professional. We pay, the club paid us a lot of money. The players receive money, me receive money, you understand? Not to find excuse and don't have spirit or don't show a sense of belonging or don't show a sense of responsibility because we are showing this. And for me this is unacceptable, for me. Because this is the first time in my career to see a situation like this. And until now I wasn't able to change, not to change but compare to last season the situation went to become worst."

Why is it happening?
Conte: "Why? I don't know because they are used to it here. They are used to it here. They don't play for something important, yeah. They don't want to play under pressure, they don't want to play under stress. It is easy in this way.

"Tottenham's story is this. Twenty years there is the owner and they never won something, but why? The fault is only for the club, or for every manager that stay here? I have seen the managers that Tottenham had on the bench. You risk to disrupt the figure of the manager and to protect the other situation in every moment.

"And now, until now I try to hide the situation but now, no, because I repeat I don't want to see what I have seen today because this is unacceptable also for the respect for the fans. They follow us, pay [for] the tickets and to see the team another time to have this type of performance, for me, I repeat, this is unacceptable. We have to think a lot, we have to think a lot about this."

You saw the fire last week. What has changed?
Conte: "I said that I want to see the fire, not that I have seen. It is different. I said that I want to see the fire in their eyes. I want to see the fire in their hearts. I want to see the right spirit. OK, not only in the training session, in the pitch. Because here you have to make the difference. And I am not seeing this.

"And until now I try to hide the situation but now, there are 10 games to go and something thinks that we can fight. Fight for what with this spirit? With this attitude? With this commitment? For what? For seventh, eighth, 10th place? I am not used to this position. I’m really upset and everyone has to take their responsibility.

"Not only the club, not only the manager, the staff. The players have to be involved in this situation because it is time to change this situation if Tottenham want to change. If they want to continue in this way, they can change manager, a lot of managers, but the situation cannot change. Believe me.

"Thank you very much."
Blamed everyone but himself and lost the club. Fuck him and his playing politics bullshit. Get on with the job you were being paid £15m a fucking year for

A tough penalty decision to take but at 3-1 up with 15 minutes to go, should your team be drawing that match?
Conte: "If we are going to discuss about the penalty it means we don't want to see other situations. For the penalty for me it was not a penalty. I stop, we close the situation. The worst situation is what was happening on the pitch. What has been happening in the last few months, what's happening in this, my second season.

"I think that it's the right moment to speak because I think that after this performance, for me this is unacceptable. We are winning 3-1, in control of the game and you are able to concede two goals and to risk, because also Fraser [Forster] made a fantastic save in one situation.

"I think it's much better to go into the problem, because the problem is that for another time we showed that we are not a team.

"We are 11 players that go into the pitch. I see selfish players. I see players that don't want to help each other and don't put their heart [into it].

"First of, today I prefer to hide this situation and to try to speak, to try to improve the spirit, the situation, with the words. With a lot of situations. Because about tactical or technical aspect, this is one situation.

"The most important thing if you want to become a strong team, if you want to become competitive, if you want to fight to win, is the desire, the fire that you need to have in your eyes, in your heart. And you have to show this in every moment. In every moment.

"If I have to compare last season and this season, I said to improve, now we are worse in this aspect. When you are not a team, everything can happen, in any moment. Today is the last situation. Don’t forget that in the FA Cup we lost to Sheffield United, who played with young players. We were able with a strong team to be dropped in FA Cup. And then a lot of situations, I repeat, that we are not going to improve. And I am not speaking about tactical aspect or technical aspect.

"To be a team, to be a team, to be a team, this the most important thing. To understand that we play for the badge. We have to play to make our fans proud of us. We have to play to show desire. The fire in your eyes to win. If you have this, for sure, you don't go out in the FA Cup. Today, you win. Maybe, previously, in the other games, maybe, maybe something can change.

"But here, we're used to it for a long time. The club has the responsibility for the transfer market, every coach that stayed here has the responsibility. And the players? The players? Where are the players? About my experience, I can tell you that if you want to be competitive, if you want to fight, you have to improve this aspect. And now this aspect, for me, in this moment is really, really low. And I see only 11 players that play for themselves."

Antonio, this is a difficult question to ask but do you think your position, the uncertainty over your future…?
Conte: "You are finding an alibi, another alibi. You try to find an alibi, an excuse for the players. OK, continue, continue to do this, to find an excuse for the players. You do only this! You do only this. Excuses for the players. But the players, maybe, my future, then they lost confidence, they lost spirit, they lost being a team. Excuse. Excuse. Excuse. Try to protect, try to protect them every time.

"Come on, come on, come on. We are professional. We pay, the club paid us a lot of money. The players receive money, me receive money, you understand? Not to find excuse and don't have spirit or don't show a sense of belonging or don't show a sense of responsibility because we are showing this. And for me this is unacceptable, for me. Because this is the first time in my career to see a situation like this. And until now I wasn't able to change, not to change but compare to last season the situation went to become worst."

Why is it happening?
Conte: "Why? I don't know because they are used to it here. They are used to it here. They don't play for something important, yeah. They don't want to play under pressure, they don't want to play under stress. It is easy in this way.

"Tottenham's story is this. Twenty years there is the owner and they never won something, but why? The fault is only for the club, or for every manager that stay here? I have seen the managers that Tottenham had on the bench. You risk to disrupt the figure of the manager and to protect the other situation in every moment.

"And now, until now I try to hide the situation but now, no, because I repeat I don't want to see what I have seen today because this is unacceptable also for the respect for the fans. They follow us, pay [for] the tickets and to see the team another time to have this type of performance, for me, I repeat, this is unacceptable. We have to think a lot, we have to think a lot about this."

You saw the fire last week. What has changed?
Conte: "I said that I want to see the fire, not that I have seen. It is different. I said that I want to see the fire in their eyes. I want to see the fire in their hearts. I want to see the right spirit. OK, not only in the training session, in the pitch. Because here you have to make the difference. And I am not seeing this.

"And until now I try to hide the situation but now, there are 10 games to go and something thinks that we can fight. Fight for what with this spirit? With this attitude? With this commitment? For what? For seventh, eighth, 10th place? I am not used to this position. I’m really upset and everyone has to take their responsibility.

"Not only the club, not only the manager, the staff. The players have to be involved in this situation because it is time to change this situation if Tottenham want to change. If they want to continue in this way, they can change manager, a lot of managers, but the situation cannot change. Believe me.

"Thank you very much."

He was spot on.

Give me a break, did Poch take responsability when we were shit in his last season? Most of his pressers were like “we must improve, we must play better, we must find solutions” bla bla. Did he come out and say how he fucked up after being knocked out by a League Two side? We’ve been subject to some embarrassing defeats over the last seasons, Colchester, Mura, Dinamo Zagreb, yet losing to Milan is aching so hard for some reason. Is it because your judgement is clouded because you’ve been butthurt after Conte came out and blasted the players (and I’d say the board too) in public?
You have put it in your comment. The big word is we. Poch always talked about the group as a whole while Conte rarely says We and sometimes singles hymself out as separate.

Compare this statement
Colchester made a fantastic game, it was difficult. We are so disappointed we could not score in 90 minutes. We wanted to go further but we are out."

Poch always included we in his statements

Conte loves to say they:
We are 11 players that go into the pitch. I see selfish players, I see players that don't want to help each other and don't put their heart [in]. They are used to it here, they are used to it. They don't play for something important

Even though he was our manager he used they fairly ofte.

.Any body with some objectivity can see Conte’s exit rant he does not really say anything about the board it is about the players.

Even though Conte got us 4th it was off the back of an incredible 13 game period where we earned 32 points over half the points that Conte earned us that season.

That was after a league cup semifinal where he told us we were not good enough to compete with Chelsea.

The worst situation is what was happening on the pitch. What has been happening in the last few months, what's happening in this, my second season.

A lot of words to basically say "I have lost the dressing room; time to get a new manager"

Additionally, Conte is said to have inserted a clause whereby Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis will refrain from sharing his opinion in football-related matters, granting the manager complete autonomy in team affairs.

😄 🤣 😂 this story will be made into an opera one day

Last edited:

Additionally, Conte is said to have inserted a clause whereby Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis will refrain from sharing his opinion in football-related matters, granting the manager complete autonomy in team affairs.

Funny cos whilst he was here he complained that the higher ups weren't doing press conferences for him.

:harrysmile:

Madman Butterfly

Back
Top Bottom