Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Club also need to change their view on finances. We don’t always need to do £100m net a season, if getting the squad fixed is £200m net this summer then £50m net the next two summers we should do that.

Far too long we have been doing whack a mole, we finally build a good backline post Poch but Kane is now gone. Every season we wait is a player getting older or leaving in another position. We can spend 2 seasons trying to fix the front line then have Romero leave for Real then it’s back to fixing the backline. City, Arse don’t have these issues, Pool only have these issues now because their replacements were poorly scouted (not sure why they are now bad at it).

We have to try and fix the squad this summer not do 50% of it because time doesn’t stand still. We need to get to a point where we are not always rebuilding. Probably only 1 season under Poch did we have what I would call a set squad.
Yeah, our transfer windows are always fire fighting rather than planning. Along with everything else we need to think about Son, 32 this summer and just think we need to accept one summer of having a major spend. Then if we do well hopefully we wont be in this situation for a while and can concentrate on adding 2 or 3 as a refresh in future summers. £100m NET this summer wont cut it even with top scouting.

what do you mean? hes dealing with human beings not robots. conte lost the dressing room because he was stubborn, this guys heading the same way. maddison already looks like hes had enough of it. when VDV pulls another hammy when we got 10 men and hes still having to chase back 3 forwards from the halfway line hell probably be sick of it too.

Conte lost the dressing room because he was a twat.

Do you think Pep or Klopp weren't/aren't stubborn?

Unsurprising given the half time score but this is a massive over-reaction. We beat Woolwich on pretty much all metrics except the most important one.

We are where we should be after Ange's first season. In fact probably overperormed. Next year is the key.
Stats don’t begin to explain yesterday and they don’t get to cover up reality. For example wasn’t it about 58 minutes before we had a shot on target yesterday ?

And Goons managed to be 0-3 ahead at the same point with only 2 efforts on goal…

Yesterday, coming off Newcastle and two weeks of “training” is no cause for optimism.

ENIC didn’t sell me my season ticket with the caveat that it’s reduced this year because we could not be expected to pay for a functional team when it’s an experimental one.

Last edited:
Should he be sacked? No
Will he be sacked? No
Does he need better players? Yes
Will he get all that he needs? No
Will it end the same way as it usually does with our managers? Yes

I honestly cant think who else we could get that would get far at THFC, it is just such a difficult job.

Yeah, our transfer windows are always fire fighting rather than planning. Along with everything else we need to think about Son, 32 this summer and just think we need to accept one summer of having a major spend. Then if we do well hopefully we wont be in this situation for a while and can concentrate on adding 2 or 3 as a refresh in future summers. £100m NET this summer wont cut it even with top scouting.

If we where being ruthless and also willing to go for it then sell the likes of Son and Lo Celso and bring in the likes of Williams, Goykeres, Eze and get the squad to match profile and ability of what we need. More likely we will get one top player then a few randoms hence the hope will be on Lange and Paratici cooking top draw bargains.

How ruthless and ambitious this new set up is will be very clear this summer with the window.

View: https://x.com/thespurswatch/status/1784949565193363654?s=48&t=W2WszqgevzHQ3qXIlV3qBQ

The man is the Ossie Ardiles of modern day managers except he doesn't have being an exceptional player for the club to fall back on. He doesn't care about defensive structure, he doesn't care what the opposition do and how they're set out, he doesn't care about defending set pieces.

Bare in mind, he fixed it second season...

Celtic fans literally told us all of this when he joined us...

It's the same pattern at every single club. Trying to establish a way of playing first and foremost at sacrifice of pretty much everything else. And it's rectified second season when he's at his most successful.

Just for clarification.

21/22 - Celtic conceded second most goals from set pieces in the league.

22/23 - Celtic conceded the least amount of goals from set pieces in the league..

This is a bit dramatic and everyone seems to be accepting it as fact.

We were good against Forest

Good for most of the game against Palace

Great second half against Brentford

It’s just that everywhere we go there is the stench of negativity from the past just waiting to sneak into the fanbase.

Changing the culture and installing real hope into this club is an almost impossible task
If we use performances against Forest, Brentford and Palace as metrics of success or progress this year then I genuinely do think that what was Tottenham Hotspur has gone.

144 years to put in a half decent performance at home to Forest, a team that can genuinely be relegated. And if you know your history…

( Not digging you here mate just how I see it )

Last edited:
Now Kiss Adventure Time GIF
Fox-And-Goat-Fable.jpg

anyone remember when we scored a set piece goal and Ange was pointing at Mason and then proceeded to lavish praise on him post match for the way we attack set pieces.

Now we get criticism because we are unable to defend them and he's telling us

"If I thought fixing defensive set pieces was the answer to us bridging the gap then I'd put all of my time and effort into that. But that's not where we're at."

so in his warped way of thinking attacking set pieces requires us to train and set up in the correct way but defending them doesn't help us "bridge the gap"?

the guy is making it up as he goes along and I'm not drinking the Ange kool aid.

Eh?

What kind of link is that?

I’m with on the bullshit about set pieces but he’s clearly protecting his coaching staff.

If he doesn’t move Mason on and get a set piece coach in the summer I’ll be concerned

Just for clarification.

21/22 - Celtic conceded second most goals from set pieces in the league.

22/23 - Celtic conceded the least amount of goals from set pieces in the league..
I'd be interested to know how that change occurred. My one concern with his game at the moment is this area as that's where we're being targeted.

Despite being rattled by yesterday's result, I do believe in the guy. Very interesting window and pre-season ahead.

If we use performances against Forest, Brentford and Palace as metrics of success or progress this year then I genuinely do think that what was Tottenham Hotspur has gone.

144 years to put in a half decent performance at home to Forest, a team that can genuinely be relegated. And if you know your history…

( Not digging you here mate just how is see it )

I’m not saying they are metrics of improvement any more than Villa away was or the recent shit results are the opposite.

I’m just saying progress isn’t a straight line and it’s always bumpy. We are addicted to sacking managers as a fanbase. Need to break the habit. For better or worse.

Who cares anyway? We are in a permanent range of nothingness between 4th and 8th. Managers come and go but that never changes.

He could do well next season but his biggest obstacle is Levy I'm afraid. We desperately need several positions filled by class players but most of us know it's not going to happen apart from the ever diminishing ENIC happy clappers....

I’m not saying they are metrics of improvement any more than Villa away was or the recent shit results are the opposite.

I’m just saying progress isn’t a straight line and it’s always bumpy. We are addicted to sacking managers as a fanbase. Need to break the habit. For better or worse.

Who cares anyway? We are in a permanent range of nothingness between 4th and 8th. Managers come and go but that never changes.
I think the board are addicted to sacking coaches and coaching teams.

Given the roller coaster ride I can’t quite appreciate now, why any of them have been sacked. We are not better than Poch’s end, Jose’s middle or Conte’s start. And it’s worrying that Ange on current form is Nuno levels.

Despite whomever gets sacked, the board is the board…

Back
Top Bottom