Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why any coach would willingly adapt their system to inferior players is beyond me. If you can't play the way the manager wants, then you shouldn't be playing for the club he's managing.
Bet you were this defensive when Conte was the manager and he supposedly didn’t adapt his system to the likes of Royal and Sessegnon. You’re a hypocrite.

It was an odd game, we've played worse and won but they didnt need to run us ragged as they were coasting at 2-0 after 25 minutes and could just soak up pressure. It was a massive game for us, both to stop them and get CL and they only had to put in minimal effort to have the game won after 38 minutes. The frustating thing is they were there for the taking but we're just so vunerable and naive we just handed it to them.

I've said it all season. Our players are tactically naive and dont know how to play through games. It is why I think we need more experience in the squad.

This makes it even worse. He knows he's got a problem and he doesnt face up to it!

Last edited:
Bet you were this defensive when Conte was the manager and he supposedly didn’t adapt his system to the likes of Royal and Sessegnon. You’re a hypocrite.

He probably did. Starks/Totti is a performative happy clapper. What he does is finds the most popular narrative of the moment (the one which will earn him the most likes/agrees which make him happy inside) and spams it repeatedly.

When Conte was here he was all in, till he was unpopular. Full on 'I love him, full trust in him, Conte till I die'. I remember questioning the way we were playing 2nd season under Conte and Totti completely disagreeing because the results hadn't swung yet. Of course when it became popular to dislike him, he was all over it.

Totti will turn on Ange the second turning on Ange becomes popular. And his dad will become a fan of whatever team our new manager used to manage. It's what he does.

He needs to be willing and able to adjust.

Look at the evolution of Pep. His basic philosophy has not changed, but he has evolved to address opponents that find weaknesses in his system.

When opponents figured out a way to make it difficult for his team to play out of the back, he added a long ball element that took advantage of his players’ qualities. Ederson sometimes passes over the pressing defenders to an OPEN man and does so with quality, thus he is not lumping the ball over like so many shit English sides like to do.

Pep has evolved over and over but kept his basic philosophy intact.

That’s called having a brain and not being naive.

The PL has adjusted to Angeball. He needs to adjust back. Doesn’t mean he abandons his principles. It means he evolves.

He was, I wouldn't say he was pinned but Ben White did enough to get in the way of his run up.

Vic is so weak on corners man, guys needs to work on his core muscles or something because he physically cannot collect the ball through a crowd of players.
Throw the cunt out the way before the ball is kicked and highlight it to the ref.

People are conveniently forgetting that Woolwich played 3 matches between our last match and this one

Losing that game yesterday was unacceptable

People's expectations are in the gutter these days

Because outside of a very select few clubs, that's what you have to do.

What manage has ever gone into a big club and completely changed their own philosophy and the way they've coached?

Again, it's not much of a manager/coach that requires everything condition to be absolutely perfect to make something work.

I don't think that is the case.

Porro and Udogie weren't considered full backs in a back four and he made them work. At some point in the season, both were considered to be the best performing full backs in the league...

If you look at a club and see a bunch of players that don't remotely fit your philosophy, and you can't mould them into something to function in it, then maybe don't take the job then? That's on him.

I think he saw plenty that fit his philosophy.

But you can only get the full picture when you're here and you've seen them perform over a period of time.

This whole season is a test for the players. Can you be brave? Can you play the way Ange wants you to? Do you stack up?

I'm going to assume by the reports we're looking for a new 6, wide players and a striker. They haven't.

I thought the point of our new set up was for the club to identify players to fit the style we anted so that managerial changes don't require immediate overhauls every few years, not to shred all their plans and chase after whatever a new coach demands?

Isnt that what we're doing?

We brought in Vicario who's alot better with the ball at his feet than Lloris was. We got van de Ven in who's the perfect centre back for the system.. Even Werner is the right profile for the system, just not of the level needed to take us to a higher level.

Bergvall coming in who seems to fit. We've been linked with the likes of Nusa, Williams, Eze. Again all players that suit.

It wouldn't be adapting his system for the sake of the players, it would be tweaking his system for his own sake, to get results, to have success, to then be able to go into the next TW and demand player a, b or c to improve further still. You can't take the job, throw your arms in the air and complain about how shit your forwards are, without even trying a different approach, and expect to be taken seriously in the TW requesting this that or the other.

You dont go to a new club with the idea of changing the entire philosophy and mentality just to pussy out during a rough patch.

Just like you don't go to a new club and sell the entire squad in the first window. Said it before I reckon Ange would happily get rid of 3/4s of this team if he could.

It's a cop out to be confronted with the question of why things aren't working, to just say "well the players aren't good enough". A bit of humility from the manager in admitting maybe his plan isn't perfect would be beneficial.

It's not a cop out at all.

Spurs quite clearly struggle with two main things. Set pieces and a lack of technical ability across the squad.

Both of these things can quite easily be addressed in the summer that would put us in good stead going into the new season.

And what is the plan anyway, go out and play better football than them? That's great as an aim, but you have to do some work between games to achieve that, and there's so little evidence of that on display right now it's beyond frustrating. The more time he's had with them, the less they seem to perform.

That's a bad sign.

It been a stop start season full of injuries, suspensions, international tournaments, long breaks between games to allow for zero momentum with an added toxicity whenever we lose before a long break.

I'm hoping we can end the season strong, get to the summer, get the right profiles in to give us a better chance, get rid of those not suited and go into the new season full of optimism after hopefully a good pre season of integrating some youngsters into the side.

When Conte was here he was all in, till he was unpopular. Full on 'I love him, full trust in him, Conte till I die'. I remember questioning the way we were playing 2nd season under Conte and Totti completely disagreeing because the results hadn't swung yet. Of course when it became popular to dislike him, he was all over it.
Ha ha! There's loads on here like that. Like a bunch of bleating sheep they'll follow which ever path seems the most popular at the time and gets the most likes.
Poch in Poch out
Conte in Conte out
Levy in Levy out.
#BackNuno #FuckNuno

There's one particular poster that switches between full on love for Levy to vehement Levy out depending on which poster is pissing him off at the time 😆

Bahhh
200w.gif

Last edited:
People are conveniently forgetting that Woolwich played 3 matches between our last match and this one

Losing that game yesterday was unacceptable

People's expectations are in the gutter these days
I think it was 4 actually.
Add to that Postie waving the white flag before a ball had even been kicked.
Shambles all over

He needs to be willing and able to adjust.

Look at the evolution of Pep. His basic philosophy has not changed, but he has evolved to address opponents that find weaknesses in his system.

When opponents figured out a way to make it difficult for his team to play out of the back, he added a long ball element that took advantage of his players’ qualities. Ederson sometimes passes over the pressing defenders to an OPEN man and does so with quality, thus he is not lumping the ball over like so many shit English sides like to do.

Pep has evolved over and over but kept his basic philosophy intact.

That’s called having a brain and not being naive.

The PL has adjusted to Angeball. He needs to adjust back. Doesn’t mean he abandons his principles. It means he evolves.

Biggest thing Pep did is with the full backs. Cancelo and Zinchenko are technically good enough but not physically good enough for the league so he sold them. They have Walker, Ake, Akanji, Gvardiol who can cover. He did this due to City getting caught with wide counter attacks. He also pushed Stones into midfield for extra creativity which helped due to Haaland being a very limited player build up wise.

Issue we have is we don’t yet have a squad built for his system so we have not even got to that stage yet if we ever do.

Have to pick this up. I dont think there are many if any instances of a Tottenham manager in 30 years getting a third year if he hasnt done much. Jol possibly but 2 5th placed finishes for us then was seen as a decent return. I'd say the test is showing a lot more by November next season or he'll be in trouble. Not saying thats right or wrong its just the way we operate.
If fans start calling for him to go.....he's safe
If fans start singing We want Levy out......He's in big trouble

.. we never get any where or win anything,
We conceded /gave away 3 goals in one half,
i don't give a crappola about possession, effort, or trying hard. . . or 600+ passes
15 days to prepare fr a game and we are down 3 zip at HT with Son looking tired after a marathon.
No shots on target.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom