Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The poorer form in the second half of the season isn't solely Ange's trend though. We as a club started well and tailed off with Conte and Mourinho too. We even did it with Poch that season we lost 5-1 at Newcastle and came back stronger the next season.

If, for example, at best Ange finishes 4th this season, in a season when I expected him to finish 6th at best, then next season, if I expect him to finish 5th, he may actually finish 3rd, so I don't see any logic in me predicting him to do worse next season.
And both those coaches got sacked and the fan base turned on them.
Why is Ange immune from this?

None of us knows what’ll happen next season. I think what a lot of us are concerned about is the lack of a Plan B or the fact that Ange seems intent on doubling down on the aggression.

For me the season has fallen into 3 parts: the first 10 games (which we all enjoyed I’m sure); the post-Chelsea injuries/suspensions debacle - where the team and Ange continued to ride the good will and ‘vibes’ built up from earlier; and the last few months - which have been the most concerning (with a mostly fully fit squad and lots of time on the training pitch).

I can’t deny the fun I/we had a WHL early on. The whole place seemed lifted and a complete contrast to what we’d sat through with previous managers. I don’t really read too much into metrics and stats but going on the naked eye, coaches have worked us out - sit deep and counter quickly while our FB’s are high up the pitch. We haven’t done anything to counter this - just more chutzpah mate.

Werner isn’t good enough (it’s plain to see live). Son isn’t a #9. Maddison is a different player post injury (ditto Bissouma). Kulusevski is a microcosm of Spurs in that everyone knows what he’s gonna do and it’s become way to easy to nullify him. We can’t break sides down. We lack guile and presence up front. As a result our defence suffers and even our player of the year ended up looking like Bambi on ice last time out.

As for Ange - I like him. He’s bought something new to us and to the league. However, when the going is tough is when you find out and/or demonstrate real leadership. Signalling to every opponent that it’ll be the same Spurs showing up, with the same gung-Ho attitude or playing weakened teams in cup competitions (when we are not even in Europe) or telling everyone top4 doesn’t really matter - are not very bright ways to ho about ‘leading’

The fans may have turned on Mourinho and Conte, due to playing style and poor form, but I doubt the majority would have sacked them both at the time when they actually left. Mourinho was in a Cup final and Conte was still in 4th, so it made zero sense to sack them both when we did, and Mason and co. actually finished the season worse both times.

Ange is slightly more immune because his playing style is more favourable like Poch's, and the expectations are lower after finishing 8th and losing Kane. But yes, at the start of the season, I still expected Ange to be sacked this season and finish 7th. The reason I feel it is pointless predicting that next season is because he proved me wrong this season.

The poorer form in the second half of the season isn't solely Ange's trend though. We as a club started well and tailed off with Conte and Mourinho too. We even did it with Poch that season we lost 5-1 at Newcastle and came back stronger the next season.

If, for example, at best Ange finishes 4th this season, in a season when I expected him to finish 6th at best, then next season, if I expect him to finish 5th, he may actually finish 3rd, so I don't see any logic in me predicting him to do worse next season.

Only two seasons that conte and Mourinho started the season as Spurs manager they both didn’t finish it!

Tailed off isn’t the whole story!!

The season isn't over yet and we've got some big (and very tough) games coming up.

What I feel so far is Ange has performed above expectations. My criticisms are can he adapt to what other teams are doing in their (imho obvious) planning for us? I don't mean a defensive 'Plan B', I mean make tactical adjustments where necessary.

The fans may have turned on Mourinho and Conte, due to playing style and poor form, but I doubt the majority would have sacked them both at the time when they actually left. Mourinho was in a Cup final and Conte was still in 4th, so it made zero sense to sack them both when we did, and Mason and co. actually finished the season worse both times

It absolutely made sense to sack both of them when we did. Performances were absolutely diabolical and we have heard from the players that the atmosphere behind the scenes was horrendous. It was impossible to continue.

Not having a better caretaker than Mason (who wasn't that bad) is a different problem.

It absolutely made sense to sack both of them when we did. Performances were absolutely diabolical and we have heard from the players that the atmosphere behind the scenes was horrendous. It was impossible to continue.

Not having a better caretaker than Mason (who wasn't that bad) is a different problem.
Stellini

maybe the solution is hire a coach for one half of the season and a another 4 the seconde half
and maybe one more coach 4 the final in the cup matches

Not sure how much of it is Ange, the attacking coach or the players but I'll be surprised if an attacking coach isn't brought in to replace Mason in the summer, with Mason shifting around in the coaching set up.

We look blunt in that department and fresh out of ideas. Our set pieces are also pretty shit.

Back
Top Bottom