Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Man City's revenues are a good example of how quickly the big club thing can shift. We absolutely have the potential to have revenues well above Liverpool, IF we perform well on the pitch and finally win some stuff.

Not sure Joe Lewis has a barbers who will ‘sponsor’ us for £100m a season. City is a giant factory of dodgy sponsors all linked to their owners. That a club with a smaller fanbase than West Ham or Everton can generate more sponsorship than Man United is laughable.

We're better on the pitch than Man United.
But they're a bigger club than us. More fans. More money (ffp aside) substantially more success to date.
Same applied to Liverpool for a few years. Yes, we were the better team, but they're huge and have the ability to get back ahead of us.

Annoyingly I have to say the same about them up the road. 7 seasons of finishing above them saw our fans declare that we had passed them and will leave them behind. But they're big enough that they can come back and pass us again.

On the flip side, we may see the odd season when Spam finish above us and are, unarguably, the better team. But we're bigger than them and probably always will be.

Get it?

We are making the exact same point mate. Or clearly we are at least trying to (and evidently failing).

In the 2010's we were the better team but they were still the bigger club.

Right now, with Klopp they are bigger as a club and better as a team.

I think you take Klopp out and next season we are the better team. They will still be the bigger club but we are now in a position as a club where there is an opportunity to overtake some of these clubs. We just need to win.

Sidebar - Levy still worries me on this point about opportunities. He deserves big-time credit for getting the CLUB into a position to grow and challenge but will he be ready to do what is needed for the team if Lange and the crew ask him to break the budget a bit? Does he realize that the club can't get much bigger without the team winning?

What do you reckon he means here? We have heard similar from other managers in the past. Sometimes I think it is just something they say.

"I know that that's not where it needs to be yet but we do have some things that are definitely there. [In terms of] facilities, resources, absolutely we're well-placed, but when you've got all those things you've got to take advantage of it. You've got to use it well because the measure is not how well-placed you are, it's how you execute. I still think with all those things we're still in the building phase. We're not in the phase of catapulting ourselves to where we want to be."

On whether it was about changing behaviours within the club or making new appointments behind the scenes, the Spurs boss answered simply: "Both. Both behaviours and appointments. It comes down to people. They cover both things. I've been here six months, Scott Munn has been here less, Johan's been here two months. So when you're looking at the football side of things, all of us are just getting started.

"It's key obviously that us three are aligned in what we want to do from a football perspective, but until that's done, and that can only happen over the course of time, that's when you feel a bit more secure about saying we can still go to the next level."

Good Question.

Ange isn't one for speaking in cryptics or passive-aggressive digs.

I think he just means that we are still early in the process.

I saw that. Very interesting. We have the 2nd highest matchday revenue in the UK.

How on earth do PSG have such large matchday revenue?

First though was like Spurs being in the capital city they can set higher prices and attract tourists.

When I’ve been to Italy to watch matches I’ve paid a premium. Must be the same for PSG.

So had a quick look. PSG V Lille in feb. Tickets on sale for ordinary looking seats 115-200 euros.
However tickets for Brest hardly anything like that! You can pick one up 25-80 euros.

So they probably sell premium seats to a few people in Qatar. “Tunnel” club type tickets. Nothing too dodgy about that I suppose. Just a way around the rules. £1million a year for a box or something like that.

If not those numbers don’t add up on a 48k capacity stadium

Wouldn't surprise me if TAA signed a new deal, being a local lad. VVD, Alisson and Salah will all be on their way out though.

I'd wager Pep will leave after another year too. The two best club coaches currently in world football leaving. We should have a more open competition over the next 5 years, than it's been over the last 5.
Where would Pep go? He's already done BM and Barca are Donald. Real Madrid?

Anywhere else in Europe is skint, and I doubt he'd go to another Prem side.

Maybe another sabbatical like Klopp?

We are making the exact same point mate. Or clearly we are at least trying to (and evidently failing).

In the 2010's we were the better team but they were still the bigger club.

Right now, with Klopp they are bigger as a club and better as a team.

I think you take Klopp out and next season we are the better team. They will still be the bigger club but we are now in a position as a club where there is an opportunity to overtake some of these clubs. We just need to win.

Sidebar - Levy still worries me on this point about opportunities. He deserves big-time credit for getting the CLUB into a position to grow and challenge but will he be ready to do what is needed for the team if Lange and the crew ask him to break the budget a bit? Does he realize that the club can't get much bigger without the team winning?
I assumed you were saying that for a few years under Poch, pre Klopp, that we were bigger. That would take decades of work and success. Not finishing above them for 2 or 3 years.

Levy will never go ball deep when there's an opportunity. At best he'll ask for a few pics on whatsapp for a solo tug.

needs a plan B. the intricate build up around the 18 yard box doesnt work with any front 3 we can muster up. richarlison is not kane, he needs crosses. trying to break down teams like barcelona did13 years ago isnt going to work with what we have.

0-1 because we got a casual left back trying to overplay...need to fucking wise up. we look easy to play against now.

imagine playing against a side that never wants to cross the ball and will try and play little 1-2s through an 18 yard box you have packed out, with no room in....lovely game.

needs a plan B. the intricate build up around the 18 yard box doesnt work with any front 3 we can muster up. richarlison is not kane, he needs crosses. trying to break down teams like barcelona did13 years ago isnt going to work with what we have.

0-1 because we got a casual left back trying to overplay...need to fucking wise up. we look easy to play against now.

imagine playing against a side that never wants to cross the ball and will try and play little 1-2s through an 18 yard box you have packed out, with no room in....lovely game.

Where would Pep go? He's already done BM and Barca are Donald. Real Madrid?

Anywhere else in Europe is skint, and I doubt he'd go to another Prem side.

Maybe another sabbatical like Klopp?
He'll take a sabbatical and want to leave City before the shit hits the fan with the charges, should have done it after the treble IMO. I can see him going to Juve or PSG, he's won 3/5 of the top leagues I wouldn't be surprised if he went for all of them.

We just need touch line wingers for his system to bang or at least one to stay wide anyway.

Some clubs get an easy ride in the media. Villa are one - big club, poorly run for a long-time, crap stadium, poor league and cup performance since the early 80s. West Ham are another, they get to 6th/7th at some point in the season or win the Donald Duck Cup and Gary Lineker is absolutely wetting himself about how well Moyse has done.

You need to add Newcastle to your post.....

Haven't won a proper trophy for 60 years, got relegated not so long ago....... Yet get big club kudos and all the 'it means more here' sanctimony usually reserved for cunts (albeit successful ones) like Liverpool & Barcelona.

Meh...

Put your fat gut away, you horse-punching cunts.

Last edited:
Amazed there were a few in the match thread saying its the same as Mourinho and Conte...game of opinons and all that but fucking hell that is a hell of a take. Its not perfect, its way too chaotic a lot of the time and we lack control but to compare it to the last 4 years of boredom? Ageing teams clearly going nowhere with 2 managers going through the motions for their pay off. . This is the first season of a younger side and its surely exceeding expectations.

Back
Top Bottom