Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The 2019 EuroJapan Cup is not one of the most prized pieces of silverware in Pep Guardiola’s collection, but the Manchester City manager remembers the day he won the trophy for a different reason.

It was on that day, July 27, that Guardiola met Ange Postecoglou for the first time.

City defeated Postecoglou’s Yokohama Marinos team 3-1 in the final match of their pre-season tour to Asia, but the hosts impressed, with Park Il-gyu, the fearless goalkeeper, regularly dribbling the ball out of defence.

“We saw some clips before the game and I said, ‘Wow, there are things here that I like.’ We won but, with all respect to Yokohama, we had better players.”

Postecoglou and Guardiola embraced and had a long chat on the touchline after the match. “He didn’t offer me a glass of wine but it was fine,” Guardiola said with a smile. “He took care of me really well. I have followed him since. He has played the same way in Glasgow [with Celtic] and now here.”

Guardiola, just like the members of the City Football Group hierarchy, have followed Postecoglou’s progress since he left Yokohama, first moving to Celtic in 2021 before landing the head coach’s job at Tottenham Hotspur, who visit the Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

Prior to a recent poor run of three straight losses, Spurs were top of the league and playing an eye-catching brand of football that is based on the same principles as Guardiola’s.

“He makes football a better place,” Guardiola said of Postecoglou. “I’m a manager but I’m also a spectator and I enjoy watching them a lot with the approach they have. All Spurs fans and people in England can admit the impact has been big.

“From day one, the first game at Brentford and the games at home, it doesn’t matter the result or opponent, they do what they have to do. I like that. That is such an incredible advert for our game and sport. It’s always nice to watch.”

For that reason, Guardiola expects Sunday’s match to be a humdinger. “I encourage the fans to come to the stadium because they will have fun,” Guardiola said.

John Stones could start for the first time in a month after making good progress in his recovery from a muscle injury. “John is much better,” Guardiola said. “He is close to coming back. The doctors, the physios will be there [to decide if he plays].”

Because of injury and suspension, Postecoglou will be without ten first-team players for the trip to City
DYLAN MARTINEZ/REUTERS
Mateo Kovacic has recovered from a quadriceps injury but his fellow midfielder Matheus Nunes is still out because of a muscle injury he suffered while on international duty with Portugal last month.

Postecoglou is facing his own injury problems, which have worsened with the news that the midfielder Rodrigo Bentancur will be out for a “couple of months at least” with an ankle issue.

The Spurs head coach will now be without ten players for the City match because of injury and suspension. Bentancur tore a ligament during Tottenham’s loss to Aston Villa on Sunday after a nasty tackle by Matty Cash. The 26-year-old was replaced in the first half, on what was his Spurs start since rupturing an anterior cruciate ligament in February.

“We’re still getting some information, but it’ll be well into early next year. A couple of months at least,” Postecoglou said. “The biggest emotion you have is for him. He’d done everything right. He had a good international break where he got back playing for his country and he started the [Aston Villa] game so well. With all that context you’re just gutted for him because of the person he is and what he’s gone through, but that’s unfortunately the challenges football sometimes throws up at you.”

Spurs have won five of their past seven Premier League games against Guardiola’s side, by adopting the counterattacking style of Nuno Espírito Santo, José Mourinho and Antonio Conte. Asked if he would deploy a more defensive approach against City, Postecoglou said: “If you had to take a punt, what do you reckon I would say? Just a wild guess? And I don’t want to be flippant about it and I get the question, but I don’t do what I do to try to prove a point.

“You look at the top teams and there is one common trait among them. They all have a plan, they invest in that plan and stick to it. They don’t shy away from it at the first difficulty.

“It doesn’t get tested when things are going well and, for me, these are the important times, because this will show what kind of football team we want to be. You can sort of shy away, say we have injuries, we’re playing Man City away, but you’re either going to be a club that tries to knock off the big clubs or you are a big club. You are one or the other.”

The 2019 EuroJapan Cup is not one of the most prized pieces of silverware in Pep Guardiola’s collection, but the Manchester City manager remembers the day he won the trophy for a different reason.

It was on that day, July 27, that Guardiola met Ange Postecoglou for the first time.

City defeated Postecoglou’s Yokohama Marinos team 3-1 in the final match of their pre-season tour to Asia, but the hosts impressed, with Park Il-gyu, the fearless goalkeeper, regularly dribbling the ball out of defence.

“We saw some clips before the game and I said, ‘Wow, there are things here that I like.’ We won but, with all respect to Yokohama, we had better players.”

Postecoglou and Guardiola embraced and had a long chat on the touchline after the match. “He didn’t offer me a glass of wine but it was fine,” Guardiola said with a smile. “He took care of me really well. I have followed him since. He has played the same way in Glasgow [with Celtic] and now here.”

Guardiola, just like the members of the City Football Group hierarchy, have followed Postecoglou’s progress since he left Yokohama, first moving to Celtic in 2021 before landing the head coach’s job at Tottenham Hotspur, who visit the Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

Prior to a recent poor run of three straight losses, Spurs were top of the league and playing an eye-catching brand of football that is based on the same principles as Guardiola’s.

“He makes football a better place,” Guardiola said of Postecoglou. “I’m a manager but I’m also a spectator and I enjoy watching them a lot with the approach they have. All Spurs fans and people in England can admit the impact has been big.

“From day one, the first game at Brentford and the games at home, it doesn’t matter the result or opponent, they do what they have to do. I like that. That is such an incredible advert for our game and sport. It’s always nice to watch.”

For that reason, Guardiola expects Sunday’s match to be a humdinger. “I encourage the fans to come to the stadium because they will have fun,” Guardiola said.

John Stones could start for the first time in a month after making good progress in his recovery from a muscle injury. “John is much better,” Guardiola said. “He is close to coming back. The doctors, the physios will be there [to decide if he plays].”

Because of injury and suspension, Postecoglou will be without ten first-team players for the trip to City
DYLAN MARTINEZ/REUTERS
Mateo Kovacic has recovered from a quadriceps injury but his fellow midfielder Matheus Nunes is still out because of a muscle injury he suffered while on international duty with Portugal last month.

Postecoglou is facing his own injury problems, which have worsened with the news that the midfielder Rodrigo Bentancur will be out for a “couple of months at least” with an ankle issue.

The Spurs head coach will now be without ten players for the City match because of injury and suspension. Bentancur tore a ligament during Tottenham’s loss to Aston Villa on Sunday after a nasty tackle by Matty Cash. The 26-year-old was replaced in the first half, on what was his Spurs start since rupturing an anterior cruciate ligament in February.

“We’re still getting some information, but it’ll be well into early next year. A couple of months at least,” Postecoglou said. “The biggest emotion you have is for him. He’d done everything right. He had a good international break where he got back playing for his country and he started the [Aston Villa] game so well. With all that context you’re just gutted for him because of the person he is and what he’s gone through, but that’s unfortunately the challenges football sometimes throws up at you.”

Spurs have won five of their past seven Premier League games against Guardiola’s side, by adopting the counterattacking style of Nuno Espírito Santo, José Mourinho and Antonio Conte. Asked if he would deploy a more defensive approach against City, Postecoglou said: “If you had to take a punt, what do you reckon I would say? Just a wild guess? And I don’t want to be flippant about it and I get the question, but I don’t do what I do to try to prove a point.

“You look at the top teams and there is one common trait among them. They all have a plan, they invest in that plan and stick to it. They don’t shy away from it at the first difficulty.

“It doesn’t get tested when things are going well and, for me, these are the important times, because this will show what kind of football team we want to be. You can sort of shy away, say we have injuries, we’re playing Man City away, but you’re either going to be a club that tries to knock off the big clubs or you are a big club. You are one or the other.”
Don’t need moneyola’s opinion, your better than that bc.

Because he’s shit at keeping himself onside. Always has been. He’d have at least 5 more goals a season if he wasn’t so bad at it. And he’s quick enough not to need to. It’s cognitive. He never should have been offside for the goal against Villa - ruined a good move too.

Drives me fucking nuts.
Love the guy but yeah if running in behind is part of your game then not being offside to start with matters.

having said that var has changed playing off the last shoulder. Fucking hate it.

Last edited:
Because he’s shit at keeping himself onside. Always has been. He’d have at least 5 more goals a season if he wasn’t so bad at it. And he’s quick enough not to need to. It’s cognitive. He never should have been offside for the goal against Villa - ruined a good move too.

Drives me fucking nuts.

Hard to argue with this.

Great player would be even greater if he timed his runs.

Drives me fucking nuts.
agree Son is poor at marking the run, but its also about the player playing the pass, we have only 1 or 2 players that see the pass before its there, (thats why you see many players look, look, and look again before they play the pass, and then its too late)

If Son is shit at staying onside then what does that make Richarlison?

Unfortunately I have to agree though that it cost us massively versus Chelsea and Villa.

I also dislike all of the opposition managers and neutral pundits claiming we are a good team to watch and praising us when we lose. I'd rather be hated and win.

Fortunately for Ange, the fact that we were hated and still didn't win somehow buys him some more time.

I think Ange has a 6th at best squad, similar to the managers before him, and ultimately it is what it is.

Drives me fucking nuts.
Not all on Son. About timing of the pass as well. Wasn’t offside as many times seasons before. Kane saw the pass early and played it at the right time or held onto it long enough for Son to bend his run or get himself back on.

That Villa one PEH takes a split second longer to see the pass, then I think takes another little touch of hesitates can’t remember which.
Should have got himself back onside for the Porro shot off the post though

Last edited:

Drives me fucking nuts.

He’s nothing compared to Defoe or adebayor though. They were both born offside!

Drives me fucking nuts.

If Hojbjerg passes it first time,hes well on.

Infuriating.

agree Son is poor at marking the run, but its also about the player playing the pass, we have only 1 or 2 players that see the pass before its there, (thats why you see many players look, look, and look again before they play the pass, and then its too late)
This with knobs on!

Look at Son's offsides, the majority are marginal. Half the time he'd be onside if his boots were a size smaller.

When VAR are having to draw lines to show his toe ahead of the last man, you're talking about split seconds, so if the ball is released a split second earlier his run is perfect.

I get that Son could 'adjust' the timing of his run, but his reactions going forward are at elite level. Without Maddison or even Bentancur in midfield, the delivery to those runs isn't at the same level, so he gets caught offside a lot more than he should when they're not in the team.

This with knobs on!

Look at Son's offsides, the majority are marginal. Half the time he'd be onside if his boots were a size smaller.

When VAR are having to draw lines to show his toe ahead of the last man, you're talking about split seconds, so if the ball is released a split second earlier his run is perfect.

I get that Son could 'adjust' the timing of his run, but his reactions going forward are at elite level. Without Maddison or even Bentancur in midfield, the delivery to those runs isn't at the same level, so he gets caught offside a lot more than he should when they're not in the team.

Ange covered this actually in his embargoed press conference. He praised son for the finishes but said the timing of the pass needs to be better. True but son needs to time his runs too. We are talking milliseconds though aren’t we. In the old days with no var he gets a few goals in the last 3 games.

Ange covered this actually in his embargoed press conference. He praised son for the finishes but said the timing of the pass needs to be better. True but son needs to time his runs too. We are talking milliseconds though aren’t we. In the old days with no var he gets a few goals in the last 3 games.
Absolutely. As I posted earlier, he has an awful lot that are essentially millimetre decisions. You don't get that without VAR, or at least you get quite a lot less.

If course you'd still get some called by Lino's, but he'd still get the rub of the green for the majority I feel.

I'd be interested to know how often he was caught offside when Maddison or, as stated earlier, Kane were in the side, as opposed to the likes of PEH, who's speed if thought and ability to see the move just before Son starts isn't at elite level.

Drives me fucking nuts.

That was on Hojberg for taking an extra touch that he didn't need.

Ange even said it in the press conference. Maddison plays that pass first touch. Bentancur as well.

Back
Top Bottom