Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wouldn't count on 1&3, Pep is apparently about to be offered a new contract and I think it's time to accept that Woolwich are here to stay, they're still a relatively young team and maybe 2/3 years off their peak.

I think though with our current trajectory we will join them, I've always said that get the Summer right in terms of recruitment and we are 100% challenging for the league under Ange next season.
The interesting thing about Woolwich will be to see how they cope with a little bit of adversity.

If they had the issues we had after the Chav game then I don't think they'd be anywhere near the top now.

They've had an incredibly easy run of things with regards injuries and suspensions. It won't stay like that.

Plus Pep Zero is capable of falling out with anyone at anytime.

Theirs is a house of cards - once something goes against them, I can see it all tumbling down.

The interesting thing about Woolwich will be to see how they cope with a little bit of adversity.

If they had the issues we had after the Chav game then I don't think they'd be anywhere near the top now.

They've had an incredibly easy run of things with regards injuries and suspensions. It won't stay like that.

Plus Pep Zero is capable of falling out with anyone at anytime.

Theirs is a house of cards - once something goes against them, I can see it all tumbling down.

Yeah look, if they had some of the back luck we had this season they will drop but that's unrealistic because those type of things are normally the outlier, anyway they seem pretty robust. That's one thing about their recruitment I can't knock, they seem to be recruiting physical monsters who don't break down and decent cover for the short term.

Anyway I don't wanna turn this into an Woolwich discussion, as I said we can get where they are but in a shorter amount of time, recruitment needs to be spot on going forward like it has been and I need to see Ange improve our rest defence a little which I think he will.

Wouldn't count on 1&3, Pep is apparently about to be offered a new contract and I think it's time to accept that Woolwich are here to stay, they're still a relatively young team and maybe 2/3 years off their peak.

I think though with our current trajectory we will join them, I've always said that get the Summer right in terms of recruitment and we are 100% challenging for the league under Ange next season.

I think Europe will be the unknown next season.

Just staying in the top 4 would be good.

I’m not expecting a title challenge anyway.
And by that I mean being in actual contention with 8 games to go within 3- 4 points of the leader (having played the same amount of games).

I think Europe will be the unknown next season.

Just staying in the top 4 would be good.

I’m not expecting a title challenge anyway.
And by that I mean being in actual contention with 8 games to go within 3- 4 points of the leader (having played the same amount of games).

The way that Ange has been speaking he most definitely is expecting a title challenge next season.

I’m starting to think if we had a more effective defensive midfielder we’d be better. There are always acres of pitch in front of our fullbacks in field and we are so easy to attack there. I’ve said all season I’m surprised teams don’t target those areas more. We either need to tweak the team and have two deeper midfielders of get a monster 6 in. If we don’t do that in the summer I see more of the same.

Nevertheless we are where I thought we’d be in the table. We always had more quality in the squad than people thought. It’s about par but I will take it.

Plus I like the guy and I haven’t liked our managers for a very long time (and yep, that includes Poch). Probably Jol was the last one I actually thought was a decent guy.

It is very refreshing to see Ange as reactive as he is with his substitutes. He's not afraid to change things relatively early if things aren't working. And the stats speak for themselves.

Our halftime changes have the best effect in the league. So maybe there is a method to the magic with the so and so first halves.

Just a shame that they tend to be chores to sit through.

The way that Ange has been speaking he most definitely is expecting a title challenge next season.

What he says doesn’t effect what I think though does it!

He’s got to be set goals for his players and the board.

He also says he doesn’t care about the top 4 race or whether Woolwich win the league.
But I care about both of those things.

Hell yes and fuck no rather than not bothered.

Been travelling for a while so haven't been on the board much.

Seems to have been a bit of negativity crept in, or am I being paranoid?

Ange is doing an amazing job if you ask me. Will be in the ECL next year and challenging for the title also.

Looking forward to Spurs playing Celtic in the ECL next year.

Ange is doing an amazing job if you ask me. Will be in the ECL next year and challenging for the title also.

There will always be negativity in this lot, but overall everyone is still very happy with Ange

I think this season has been a bit shit really, no European football whatsoever and still went out early in both cup competitions.

A place in the CL is good but under Pochettino this became routine, so a lot of the 'magic' has gone.

My main concern is we play the same way now as we did at the beginning of the season. We rarely dominate teams and concede chances against everybody. We do play some nice football at times but I can't say I've enjoyed watching us that much as we just seem to be a tad naive.

Ange has done well for sure but he hasn't convinced me he can take us to the next level i.e. winning majority trophies.

Celtic won’t get there. Europa for them 😜🤣

I think this season has been a bit shit really, no European football whatsoever and still went out early in both cup competitions.

A place in the CL is good but under Pochettino this became routine, so a lot of the 'magic' has gone.

My main concern is we play the same way now as we did at the beginning of the season. We rarely dominate teams and concede chances against everybody. We do play some nice football at times but I can't say I've enjoyed watching us that much as we just seem to be a tad naive.

Ange has done well for sure but he hasn't convinced me he can take us to the next level i.e. winning majority trophies.
We dominate nearly every team we play possession wise but we need to convert that into chances and goals. I think that will come but the only way it does if we upgrade on the quite a few of the players we have and sign players to challenge the likes of Porro and Udogie. If those players turn out to be better than the likes of Porro and Udogie then we ultimately improve.

Am I imagining a correlation here in that the same posters who were wailing in summer that we were hiring an unproven manager and seeking our best player, so would therefore finish bottom half, are now the posters who are complaining that we aren’t winning the treble, when we are fourth and only a few wins off top?
That's typically how it goes, yes.

As interesting as that may seem. We have won one more game at the matching points of the season to when Conte was sacked. Points wise we're very close. Sacking Conte was ultimately a total disaster as we won 3 of 10 (30% ratio) vs 15 from 28 (53% ratio)
We had a 1.75 ppg total at MW 28. We're currently at 1.875ppg so a tad better. But 5 of our last 7 games could really dent that yet.
I don't even think it's worth comparing this season to last season. We had 3 different coaches and unique non-football situations to deal with.

Those last 10 games saw us lose at home to Bournemouth, battered by Newcastle. Come back from 3 down at Liverpool and still manage to lose, lost at home to Brentford. Our wins were questionable. Lucky as fuck Vs Brighton and the other 2 were against a terrible Palace and relegated Leeds.

There is no reason to believe Conte staying would have resulted in winning more games than sacking him. He was also refusing to sign a new contract so we were headed for instability eventually.

New we have better results, more stability, better football, and a younger squad with more upside.

There’s no (sensible) debate on this mate.

Every team concede chances to whoever they are playing. Why do you think that’s only us?? Yesterday Forest scored,had one that hit the post,a weak header and an 80 yarder and that’s it!
I saw a stat last week that we are third bottom in shots against us (it was pointing out how many Man Utd had against them). Teams seem to be very clinical in the limited chances they get.

Every team concede chances to whoever they are playing. Why do you think that’s only us?? Yesterday Forest scored,had one that hit the post,a weak header and an 80 yarder and that’s it!
I saw a stat last week that we are third bottom in shots against us (it was pointing out how many Man Utd had against them). Teams seem to be very clinical in the limited chances they get.

Our best player this season has been Vicario, nuff said.

I've not been blown away by this season, sorry if that offends but just my opinion.

It is very refreshing to see Ange as reactive as he is with his substitutes. He's not afraid to change things relatively early if things aren't working. And the stats speak for themselves.

Our halftime changes have the best effect in the league. So maybe there is a method to the magic with the so and so first halves.

Just a shame that they tend to be chores to sit through.

I don't buy into the idea that it is good management to start games poorly and finish them well. We had the same issues under Conte. What eventually happens, and has happened (like at Fulham), is that you go 2-0 down and can't get back into the game.

I would say it is traditionally more Spursy to go 1-0 down and win 3-1 at home though. Even from the Jol days, it is a common trend that the fans like for exciting football.

Our best player this season has been Vicario, nuff said.

I've not been blown away by this season, sorry if that offends but just my opinion.
It doesn’t offend and I understand the frustration because I think we could have done better but I still think we’ve overachieved from what we all expected last July . The fiasco of the Chelsea game definitely disrupted us and it took us time to recover. Losing Sarr,Biss and Sonny for Afcon didn’t help either.

I think Micky and Vic are two of the best signings we’ve made in decades and for me Micky edges it because when he doesn’t play we have an awful lot less chance of winning. That could be said for Vic to but thankfully he’s been an ever present apart from Fulham in the cup.

I don't buy into the idea that it is good management to start games poorly and finish them well. We had the same issues under Conte. What eventually happens, and has happened (like at Fulham), is that you go 2-0 down and can't get back into the game.

I would say it is traditionally more Spursy to go 1-0 down and win 3-1 at home though. Even from the Jol days, it is a common trend that the fans like for exciting football.
No manager in the history of football has wanted his team to start poorly. Ever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom