Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some of you definitely need to go back on the meds, the bipolar is coming out strong. It’s a better season than 99% expected yet 50% aren't happy with the season even though 98.9% will be happy to get top 4 and 80% with top 5. A further 75% can now see why BJ was bought and is value for money yet 66% think we overpaid for him. Strangely 33% are looking back on the Conte times with fondness whilst 80% think his name has a silent u. 2% believe the league can be won whilst 10% are fearful of relegation. 50% believe every stat they read has relevance whilst 51% don’t. I will 100% enjoy the next 8 games whatever the results, knowing that next year will be at least 5% better.

Then why do we get the feeling we are to easy to score against?

Awkward Bye Bye GIF
We're not!

There are frustrations:
a) Goals we have conceded from open play (very, very, very few) are sometimes the oppo's first shot!
b) That this first shot has been the first goal scored in the game so we are 1-0 behind
c) That the goal scored was caused by an individual error (fans hate errors and will march with torches to that player's house and shout "bum" at them - love a scapegoat to blame too).
d) Or was a corner where the ball goes in off a player's back!

But our Achilles heel is set pieces, we are very bad at defending them, like very bad.

Last edited:
Those stats makes it even more worrying that we are so easy to score against!!!

GOOD that we are not allowing that many shots, very good!

But a question to you stats-nerds, from what situations do we conceed goals? They can't all be from set pieces??

I'm starting to get a bad feeling it's just not about our fullbacks and defensive midfield that causes us problem defensively.
It's set pieces, we are very bad (like 3rd worst record in the league) at defending set pieces.

Some of you definitely need to go back on the meds, the bipolar is coming out strong. It’s a better season than 99% expected yet 50% aren't happy with the season even though 98.9% will be happy to get top 4 and 80% with top 5. A further 75% can now see why BJ was bought and is value for money yet 66% think we overpaid for him. Strangely 33% are looking back on the Conte times with fondness whilst 80% think his name has a silent u. 2% believe the league can be won whilst 10% are fearful of relegation. 50% believe every stat they read has relevance whilst 51% don’t. I will 100% enjoy the next 8 games whatever the results, knowing that next year will be at least 5% better.

People aren't happy because Woolwich are doing well and no one wants to say it, anxiety is going through the roof every time they win and their projecting they're insecurities back onto Spurs.

If Woolwich were 6th this would be a much more enjoyable season in many people's eyes.

Last edited:
People aren't happy because Woolwich are doing well and no one wants to say it, anxiety is going through the roof everytime they win and their projecting their insecurities back onto Spurs.

If Woolwich were 6th this would be a much more enjoyable season in many people's eyes.
We are still going to smash them at home!

As expected then! And we don't actually have that many towering players either.

We have Micky and Dragu, but they don't play at the same time do they.
Whilst there is room for HUGE improvement it shouldn't stop us from winning most games as we tend to score goals in most games.

But still, the frustration lingers and magnifies feelings e.g. against West Ham, in simplistic terms we win that game if we defended the corner they scored from (we defended well the other 9 corners they had in that game.

We just need to get structurally better (I'm crap in knowing what should or shouldn't be done at corners, zonal, man marking or both etc So I don't have any specific answers other than we need to be paying specific attention to this obvious weakness).

Last edited:
Arsenle - 28 April
Chelsea - 2 May
Liverpool - 5 May

Looking at the positives. We get 15 days preparation following the Newcastle game before those fixtures start.

Woolwich will have 4 games before they play us. And may have a CL semi final a few days after our game.

Chelsea will have 4 games within that same period.

And Liverpool will also potentially play 6 games (Inc a EL semi final on the Thursday we play Chelsea)

Looking at the positives. We get 15 days preparation following the Newcastle game before those fixtures start.

Woolwich will have 4 games before they play us. And may have a CL semi final a few days after our game.

Chelsea will have 4 games within that same period.

And Liverpool will also potentially play 6 games (Inc a EL semi final on the Thursday we play Chelsea)
I also think having a run of games would be good for team chemistry. We could be cherry ripe for Liverpool

Tottenham: How icon Ferenc Puskas shaped Ange Postecoglou's coaching philosophy​

Frustrating that Dan Kilpatrick didn't try to romance this piece with links to Puskas and Arthur Rowe, who was influential in making Hungary the best International team on the planet (whom Puskas was very much part of at the time), and those who watched them back then maintain they were one of the best international sides of all time with his push and run tactics that was revolutionary in the game (first introduced by Peter McWilliam when Rowe was a player at Spurs).

Th
It's becoming a bit of a self fulfilling prophesy; opps see set pieces as our weakness, so their attacks are actively trying to win set pieces, almost in preference to trying to score. So we have more set pieces to defend and so concede more goals from same. Was particularly obvious in West Ham have that winning corners was a tactic.
There were a couple of corners that were conceded really weakly, Werner and Udogie gave away one each that I remember thinking wtf, was it the Werner one that they scored from? Doesn't really matter to be fair as the defending for that goal was woeful, you can blame coaching for sure but I don’t think an u12s coach would have been happy with 1) the marking of one of their main aerial threats and 2) the lack of effort to meet the ball

He’s doing just fine so far, my 2 beefs are the set-pieces (at both ends) and the apparent lack of interest in utilising the academy.

The combination of Mourinho + Conte has left a significant portion of our fanbase brain damaged.

People wont believe it but in open play, we’ve tightened up significantly defensively since the turn of the year. 3rd least shots allowed I believe.

Back
Top Bottom