Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we get a quality striker and right winger in the summer we’ll be a different team

Edit - although I do like Johnson even though he was poor today
I wonder if we need a proper competition/understudy for Son on the left too given how little we've seen of Solomon and that we probably won't sign Werner and Gil won't ever mature to a PL player

this guy is lost
lots of us said last few weeks play dragon at Ch and move VDV to left back (had lots of time to train once doggie was out for season) but no wait till last few mins of the game to try it
can't get the players up to better Burnley
Not much hope for me, if he's here next season will be another waste season
Glad you enjoyed the victory today x

:ange-confused:

Regardless, my main point is that the team Ange inherited is better than the one Arteta did. So comparing the starts they had doesn't mean much.
Whilst I agree that comparisons are just complete dogshit, I do wonder how you would go about quantifying your point that our team was better than theirs?

Different clubs playing in different seasons against different sides. And just naming players doesn’t make your argument. There’s absolutely no way to know which team was stronger or otherwise.

Whilst I agree that comparisons are just complete dogshit, I do wonder how you would go about quantifying your point that our team was better than theirs?

Different clubs playing in different seasons against different sides. And just naming players doesn’t make your argument. There’s absolutely no way to know which team was stronger or otherwise.

FIFA stats

If we give Ange another transfer season where he can bring in some creativity in the mid and or forwards, we suddenly look a much, much better side.

I know we've scored plenty. But I think it's obvious our forward pounce failing due to lacking technical skills has led to a lot of our poor defence. Our backline has been excellent (for once!).

I'm hoping our better transfers continue into this window, except with more attacking and creativity in mind. Of course, that tends to be more expensive...

First "Every time the opposing team finds themselves in a wide position ,our players don't know who to put pressure on, and it ends up with either Pedro or Odigie pressing from above, leaving empty spaces behind them. Then Van or Romero are forced to leave their positions."

Secondly, without a target striker, it becomes easier to put pressure on Madison, especially given the lack of movement or random movement from the attacking trio.

Third thing, I don't know if it is difficult for the club to act professionally and choose an assistant staff with a high level of experience and competence, for example, in set pieces. We are the second most goal-conceding club, which primarily relies on training.

These are things that came to my mind, and it doesn't prevent me from believing that the manager has provided what he can for another season. If he is the type of coach who recognizes the shortcomings in the players, we will be better off. However, this league is extremely challenging, and if the details are neglected, all the work may go in vain.

If we give Ange another transfer season where he can bring in some creativity in the mid and or forwards, we suddenly look a much, much better side.

I know we've scored plenty. But I think it's obvious our forward pounce failing due to lacking technical skills has led to a lot of our poor defence. Our backline has been excellent (for once!).

I'm hoping our better transfers continue into this window, except with more attacking and creativity in mind. Of course, that tends to be more expensive...
I think that another actual 9 is going to be key. Especially if we send Veliz back out on a loan.

It's pretty clear that the attack works much better with Richarlison in the middle rather than Son, who should be out on the left. We need someone with a bit of a physical presence in the box that can act as a poacher and play a bit of hold up play.

Get someone in that can rotate with/compete with Richarlison (if he is sold we need two), put Son out left and I think that the attacking outfit will function much better.

I think that another actual 9 is going to be key. Especially if we send Veliz back out on a loan.

It's pretty clear that the attack works much better with Richarlison in the middle rather than Son, who should be out on the left. We need someone with a bit of a physical presence in the box that can act as a poacher and play a bit of hold up play.

Get someone in that can rotate with/compete with Richarlison (if he is sold we need two), put Son out left and I think that the attacking outfit will function much better.
And a right winger. BJ can come good, but he's not ready to be a top 4/EPL title contending team starter on the wing. Especially in an Ange system.

I think with that and a true 9 ala Richy who can play more consistently would see Son improve as well. People are forgetting Son has been used to playing with Kane on the side, and has been getting used to, well, absorbing all that pressure now from opposition teams.

Comparing different teams from different seasons can't be quantified, sure. It's just opinions.

But if you were to compare two teams from different eras and determine who's better, wouldn't you just compare the players to decide who was better overall?

Thing is, we cant keep clean sheets or score

And a right winger. BJ can come good, but he's not ready to be a top 4/EPL title contending team starter on the wing. Especially in an Ange system.

I think with that and a true 9 ala Richy who can play more consistently would see Son improve as well. People are forgetting Son has been used to playing with Kane on the side, and has been getting used to, well, absorbing all that pressure now from opposition teams.
Depending on outgoings we may need a left winger for depth as well. Son will be the obvious starter until he breaks down completely but we need someone to rotate him with. We obviously have Solomon on the books but he is such an unknown given how long he has been out for.

I wouldn't be against picking up Werner on the cheap or on another loan to have him as Son's rotation option. He and Brennan did work well together after all. So I think as the bombing winger that chucks in crosses he works. And we can then focus on finding a long term heir to Son with him as a stop gap in between.

Comparing different teams from different seasons can't be quantified, sure. It's just opinions.

But if you were to compare two teams from different eras and determine who's better, wouldn't you just compare the players to decide who was better overall?
You could. But the you’d have to add in the players they all played against too. Were Villa as strong back then as they are now? Newcastle? Palace? I have to assume Chelsea and Man Utd are weaker now.

Comparisons can only be made in a vacuum and the one that’s being trotted out here doesn’t fit that. For either side of the debate.

And it doesn’t matter either. All we can do is look to what we are doing now.

Back
Top Bottom