Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are you forgetting the part where Veliz is on loan at Sevilla and it's illegal for us to play him?
I meant why loan him in the first place because we need a CF backup for Richarlison instead of using Son as CF. it looks like Scareltt is ahead of Veliz in the pecking order, so I don't get why we bought Veliz in the first place? He hasn't seemed to have been in any of our manager's plans.

Last edited:
What happened to those squads after he left?

remember chavski?
Conte rebuilt Juventus and won their first (legit) Scudetto in nearly a decade leading them to win it 10 times in a row.

He also won Inter their first Scudetto in a decade and got them challenging again.

As for Chelsea, he got them 70 points and an FA cup in his final season, they haven't really improved ever since he left domestically.

He doesn't really leave a mess. The problem is that he's a pain to deal with and everyone gets burned out after around 18 months due to his training methods being super intense and rigid.

I meant why loan him in the first place because we need a CF backup for Richarlison instead of using Son as CF. it looks like Scareltt is ahead of Veliz in the pecking order, so I don't get why we bought Veliz in the first place? He hasn't seemed to have been in any of our manager's plans.

It's a strange one for sure.

Veliz was clearly bought as a young player with an eye on the future but he's a striker at exactly the age where he needs to play every week and for whatever reason strikers always seem to find it harder to play every week on loan. Scarlett is the same.

They won't both end up here long term and tbh it might end up with neither of them here long term.

Probably more than half.
Although there's obviously a few exceptions, potential resale value will always be the overriding factor.
It is, after all, the ENIC modus operandi. Some fans are fine with that. And that's ok.. And some of us are uncomfortable with it....also Ok

Surely you have to conceded that every club cares about resale value bar maybe one or two

The truth is though that bar Bale, Modric and Walker, most of our best players from the Poch years we kept past big resale values and gave them pretty decent wages.

Eriksen and Jan were prime examples of this.

It's a strange one for sure.

Veliz was clearly bought as a young player with an eye on the future but he's a striker at exactly the age where he needs to play every week and for whatever reason strikers always seem to find it harder to play every week on loan. Scarlett is the same.

They won't both end up here long term and tbh it might end up with neither of them here long term.
Yes it is an odd one because he came to this club from Argentina with LoCelso helping him settle etc... then he goes off to Spain on loan (where he isn't getting much game time anyway). He's a big lad for his age, probably good in the air and strong hold up play, That said, okay we have Scarlett but he's not had a good opportunity with just a few minutes here and there, or not on the bench at all, with Son floundering being heavily marked and he doesn't have the hold the ball up factor.

I don't think we'd be worse off with the front line of Son (left) Scarlett Jonhson. Use Werner to rest Son from the bench as and when... it just gives us something different when we're predictable, when Richarlison is unfit.

At least half of the players we sign every window, IMO, are bought as opportunities to flip for a quick profit.
Where's the flipping part? Arbitrage or investment trading only work if you're routinely selling for a profit. And I haven't seen many profitable instant returns like you're describing for a long time.

Spurs isn't the kind of stable, top-tier club that acts as a good shop window for buying up continental fodder, making them look good for a few windows, and then selling them on for a profit. If anything, the last decade has seen the problem of an excess of mediocrity stuck on the wage bill without apparently being shifted. I think we've all complained in the past that Levy hasn't done anywhere near enough to shift dead-weight, let alone sagely profiteering from it.

I have no idea if Postecoglou will do well with us or not but i find this pining for Mourinho and Conte seriously odd.

They had a decent 3 months between them in roughly a combined 3 years. We were never going to give them what they wanted, they were never going to stick around long. The whole thing was a boring waste of time and just highlighted the boards lack of any sort of vision beyond being a pound shop Chelsea.

Oh and both had our greatest ever strike force in their prime and pissed it away.
The grass is always greener. Bayern fans have already created a petition to convince Tuchel to stay because he was able to navigate Woolwich in the CL, despite >90% of them wanting him gone three months ago. It's the logical conclusion of an increasingly impatient, black-and-white, recency-biased mindset that continues to grow in ubiquity and intensity across all football fandom. Nobody has the patience or attention span for long-term projects anymore, and every player/manager/owner is either great or shit based solely on their last game.

Where's the flipping part? Arbitrage or investment trading only work if you're routinely selling for a profit. And I haven't seen many profitable instant returns like you're describing for a long time.
disagree with this - football is different. I think the target success objective of transfers is keeping well priced good players eg VDV, Vic for their entire careers. I think this even applies to a ‘selling’ club say BHA, rather keep Mac Allister for ten years but best alternative is to sell for a good price.

However, this should be balanced with taking hits on players that haven’t worked and flipping them for realistic prices (less than the fee we paid in current market), but recouping at least something and not keeping them around. That’s our failing

Conte rebuilt Juventus and won their first (legit) Scudetto in nearly a decade leading them to win it 10 times in a row.

He also won Inter their first Scudetto in a decade and got them challenging again.

As for Chelsea, he got them 70 points and an FA cup in his final season, they haven't really improved ever since he left domestically.

He doesn't really leave a mess. The problem is that he's a pain to deal with and everyone gets burned out after around 18 months due to his training methods being super intense and rigid.
This idea that Conte leaves every club in a mess is just one of many myths that gets floated on here. He usually brings glory, success, passion and excitement and then moves on. Everyone was so excited when we appointed him.
'Antonio Antonio Antonioooo '
The myth mainly gets trotted out by the ENIC fans who will probably never get over the way he called out their boy Levy for the loser mentality he's rooted in this football club.

Back
Top Bottom