Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
Considering where we lack is quality on the wings, we really need to get a top top winger to be any good.
I feel that at the moment in football wingers play a massive role, they need to be able to assist and score, fairly regularly. Something that lennon barely does, Townsend barely does, Chadli.. Cant say too much as of yet.

Considering where we lack is quality on the wings, we really need to get a top top winger to be any good.
I feel that at the moment in football wingers play a massive role, they need to be able to assist and score, fairly regularly. Something that lennon barely does, Townsend barely does, Chadli.. Cant say too much as of yet.

I think this should happen to wing play at this club:

kill_it_shaun_of_the_dead.gif

It should be beaten to death with shovels. Our best players at the club are central. We should get with the times and adjust to a parked bus back 5 that crowd out crosses and snuff out predictable wing play.

We had the second best winger in the world and another England international on the right and an English international wingback and we still could not avoid St Totteringhams day.

Considering a player is only as good as the tactics, it's not particularly fair to slate any player for anything except effort.

Lennon has been a consistent performer over the years for spurs and has yet to have a shot off target in the league this season. From shots, he's scored 1 and set up eriksen from 1. He's only had 5 shots, but that's still a pretty decent stat considering how insufferably poor our tactics have been.
Bit more on his stats: http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/players/profile.statistics.html/aaron-lennon

Townsend is a young lad who has had nearly the same PL exposure as Bentaleb - he's managed to squeeze 36 shot in on target and has made 67 crosses. He's confident enough to at least have a go, even if his shots are frustratingly poor at times.

Both of these guys play as hard as the tactics allow them. Anyone who wonders why our wingers have no assists needs to look at why that might be - the lineup & the tactics are making them cross the ball in, but there's no real threat to actually do anything with crosses, corners or set pieces (aside from Eriksen's shots).

I seriously question how much of a game some people are watching if they can't see that we play like 3 different sides - our wing players (including defence) are not clicking with the central players, which has led to lack of threat and conceded goals. Our defence doesn't seem fully coherent as a unit of a team.

We've gone from one manager who refused to change things, to another who doesn't seem to be able to stick to a tactic that doesn't involve keeping Bentaleb on (not bashing Bentaleb, but he's like an immovable object - not been subbed off once). We seem to play as inconsistent as rolling a dice in each match, but don't build on things.

I don't think you can change things that much and expect the players to really instinctively know where everyone is, or should be, without looking or having to think. An experienced manager will change everything and players like Townsend will probably turn out pretty decent

troll.jpg

I'm willing to bet "Ignored Member" is offering nothing of value to this thread, probably either trolling or looking for praise at predicting something

To be honest, Townsend is worth sticking with over Lennon. Some top players had poor returns in the past early into their careers so this could be terrible luck on Townsends part.

But he has to be second fiddle to Eriksen, Holtby and Lamela as it stands. If two of the 3 are out, I would not hate playing him in an advanced role. But not as the first form of defence down our flanks. If he is played, he should be given zero water carrying.

Would he want to play 3rd fiddle? I doubt it so the best long term for me would be to cash in on him.

But, my gut tells me he will mug whatever manager moves in (probably via the world cup) and we will have years of Lennon style form from him which will take us sideways. UNLESS whatever manager limits the tiny dancers in the team. With protection and a solid spine, he could be great in a few years time.

Did I really actually read someone saying that Townsend was to blame for us finishing below Woolwich this season. The same player who has started 12 of our 30 league games? Makes a ton of sense...

I thought Townsend was great this weekend. Played some of the best crosses we've seen this year, it isn't his fault that our players in the box were cocking them up. Townsend hurts us when he forces long range shots but when he's not doing that he's an excellent asset. I have a hard time blaming him for low assist numbers considering the almost every single one of his starts came during a time when we were averaging less than a goal a game.

People forget that Townsend is a newcomer to the top flight. He's only made 36 appearances total and only had 12 starts last year for QPR and 12 starts this year for us. If I was managing the side I would just give him and Lamela (when healthy) a run of games and let them work out the kinks. They are clearly our two most naturally gifted wingers, they are just young and need playing time. Townsend is a player, but he's also extremely young and inexperienced. There's going to be growing pains as there always is. Not like Bale started off amazing either, sometimes you just need to trust a player and let them play and figure it out. There's no substitute for experience.

The way we're playing at the minute won't help Townsend. It was an improvement on sunday with Chadli behind Adebayor. But we need big motherfuckers piling into the box. Chadli Ade and Soldado all up top with Townsend and lennon on the wings would work far better, i think. And Eriksen in the middle... but then that leaves us with no one covering the defence so we'd probably get battered against the better teams. If paulinho were to shift up a gear or two then he could play deep in a diamond in place of one of the strikers.
Also, Eriksen out on the left is just a waste. I seem to remember Eriksen putting in a few beautiful crosses from the right, where he's better from (his right food must be made of fucking diamonds) But out on the left, he has to cut back in, before crossing.
In fact, Eriksen would probably be better on the right?

i dunno. Sherwoods a hack. Soz for ranting. xx

Did I really actually read someone saying that Townsend was to blame for us finishing below Woolwich this season. The same player who has started 12 of our 30 league games? Makes a ton of sense...

I thought Townsend was great this weekend.

When doesn't he look great? He's the new version of the Tottenham Way. Losing with style.

Not like Bale started off amazing either, sometimes you just need to trust a player and let them play and figure it out. There's no substitute for experience.

I was a firm believer in Bale in his early years. I was the first on SC to suggest he should be put on the wing. Speaking of Bale, even if Townsend turns into Bale...We STILL could not get higher than Woolwich with wing play. Its too gung ho/wide open unless you have one of the best midfields ever assembled like Utd did. If you have Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Keane and the best manager in the world you may be able to dominate.

We need to be realistic and look at what wingplay has done to our flanks this season (and all other prem seasons before it with Ginola etc). Torn apart, time after time after dominating possession.

Last edited:
That was the second line in my post:

"Some top players had poor returns in the past early into their careers so this could be terrible luck on Townsends part."

Fair enough. I was just taking umbrage with your accusation that Townsend was the reason that we were going to have "St. Totteringhams day" this year. He's started 12 games. I hardly think he's the biggest problems. Also, I'm pretty sure Tottenham has always lost with style for the vast majority of our history. That's not really new.

Fair enough. I was just taking umbrage with your accusation that Townsend was the reason that we were going to have "St. Totteringhams day" this year. He's started 12 games. I hardly think he's the biggest problems. Also, I'm pretty sure Tottenham has always lost with style for the vast majority of our history. That's not really new.

He took more shots than anyone, had the worst goals to shots ratio in the prem, he delivered cross after cross that resulted in a negative (Soldados goal return was a disaster from open play), he's never had a good relationship with Walker and seems to have very little vision.

AVB used him as the main focus like he did Bale but it was not happening.

It's a toss up what the main reason was: No left back signed or Townsends barren return.

Then again, the main reason IMO was this for letting all that happen:

AVB.jpg

I feel that at the moment in football wingers play a massive role, they need to be able to assist and score, fairly regularly. Something that lennon barely does, Townsend barely does, Chadli.. Cant say too much as of yet.[/QUOTE
Hypothetically, would you swap Vert (if he wanted away) + Townsend + 7 million for Sterling? I would!

You proved me wrong by posting Bentlebs stats. You are (I'm sorry to say) an idiot. Because you can't quantify if Bentaleb has a worse shot until he hits the 55 shots at goal mark.

Right now he is on 12 shots at goal...I mean you using him to prove me wrong on who has the worst shot...It's fucking dumb. It's not even quantifiable because he has not scored yet. He would have to take over 40 more shots, and miss all of them to be considered worse than Townsend.

you-are-literally-too-stupid-to-insult.gif

Again with your selective reading. I also pointed out that both Paulinho and Sigurdsson also had lower shot accuracy percentages, but I guess you don't care about that because it doesn't jive with your preconceived notions.

"You proved me wrong by posting Bentlebs stats. You are (I'm sorry to say) an idiot. Because you can't quantify if Bentaleb has a worse shot until he hits the 55 shots at goal mark."

You don't understand math, do you?

2/72 = ~2.8% goal/shot success
0/14 = 0% goal/shot success

It's fucking black and white and simple mathematics. Soldado and Ade don't have the same number of shots on goal, so does that mean that I can't compare them? Ridiculous. You're just grasping at straws.

"Right now he is on 12 shots at goal...I mean you using him to prove me wrong on who has the worst shot...It's fucking dumb."
If it's fucking dumb to use basic mathematics to disprove your notion that Townsend has a better shot accuracy % than three of our other midfielders, as well as, demonstrate that he is not our worst finisher in simple, black and white terms, I don't know what else will work except just once again state that you're a troll.

"He would have to take over 40 more shots, and miss all of them to be considered worse than Townsend."
Again, you fail to understand statistics and basic mathematics. 2.8% is greater than 0%. That's the advantage and really functional thing about percentages, they allow for us to quickly compare things when all demoninators aren't equal, which they rarely are.

Let me put this in simple, bite-sized sentences so you can understand them. You are at best, uninformed and quick to judgement. You are at worst, a liar and a proudly arrogant one at that. I have clearly and concisely demonstrated that you are wrong and you still deny it. You willfully manipulate your statements and my position to make yourself appear knowledgeable. Your denial to admit to errors and do these things only makes you look like a troll and a liar.

Crazy, the cunt is only 21 and gets capped in his first season - but folk are wanting to bin him off. The guy has loads of potential and just needs to stop trying so hard. Yes his shooting is appalling and his decision making at times is on a par with joe deacon but let's give him some time.

Crazy, the cunt is only 21 and gets capped in his first season - but folk are wanting to bin him off. The guy has loads of potential and just needs to stop trying so hard. Yes his shooting is appalling and his decision making at times is on a par with joe deacon but let's give him some time.

To be fair he's 22

#TOOOLDNOPOTENTIALPASTITGETRIDOMG

On a serious note, Sherwood has had more of a chance than Andros, and that's saying something!

Andros getting judged by his performance & potential in a dysfunctional team whereby absolutely none of our outfield players look that good.... omg.

Back
Top Bottom