A farewell to White Hart Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What the fuck was Pardew thinking?
When I saw him doing that on Saturday, all I could think for about 5 minutes after was "did he really just do that? What an embarrassment . What an utter cunt". Having watched it again, I pity the Palace fans. Not only did they lose in a final, but for evermore they have the piss taken out of them for "that celebration".
:avbfacepalm:

When I saw him doing that on Saturday, all I could think for about 5 minutes after was "did he really just do that? What an embarrassment . What an utter cunt". Having watched it again, I pity the Palace fans. Not only did they lose in a final, but for evermore they have the piss taken out of them for "that celebration".
:avbfacepalm:

Get over yourself, I found it amusing and I'm sure palace fans dont give a fuck either.... not sure what that has to do with this thread either.

Where do you start..
For me low key as possible no gimmicks I think "Sir Bill's and his wife's ashes are around the pitch somewhere interned.
I would like to see his family and some of our founding fathers ancestors play a part.
I did read in a programme that some live in Australia and visited theLane recently.
My first game was Chelsea in 1975 as an 8 year old anyone who was at game will never forget it.
Favourite game Swindon Town FA cup 4th round reply 1980.
Loudest away fans Birmingham City 1980 FA cup 5th round1980..."Keep Right On till the End of Road".
Loudest other European Kaiserslautern,Wislaw and Zagreb.
Other teams players great performances Don Givens QPR Peter Barnes Man City David Armstrong Middlesbrough David Cross West Ham Liam Brady them.
Proudest moments from us "One Danny Thomas"Seville game at half time " Martin Jols Blue and White Army".
Too many of our players to mention but players who got the most stick John Lacey Gordon Smith Mark Kendall both Rip and plenty more...to be continued....

Wow... some great memories there!
And always good to see a couple of other old timers on here like me and Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor

...and there was me thinking the '75' in your Maida Vale username was the year you were born... not your actual AGE!
:ossie:

Slipped the turnstile fella a few quid to get back in the first time and then they opened the gates a few mins after the second time so I just walked back in.

Also remember buying my lifetime Supporters membership (£18) and then getting taken to the old bill control room during the game (don't ask) and giving false details and praying I wasn't searched ! I only earned £17 a week.

The "one Danny Thomas" is before my time but my favourite story of the Lane from the old(er) days.

Best away supports: Dinamo Zagreb (as mentioned), Club Brugges, PAOK.
Best english away supports: Birmingham when they got relegated and we applauded them, then both supports sang "Thursday night, channel 5" to each other, Port Vale league cup.

I have loads of great memories at the lane, so here goes.
My Debut, November 76 V Stoke. 2- 0
MY first NLD Dec 76 2-2
Shef Utd ,my debut on the shelf and our first game in Div 2
Beating Bristol Rovers 9- 0
Beating Hull 1-0 in the penultimate game to give us a chance of promotion on the last day of the season.
Though we lost, Ossie and Rickys home debuts
The first NLD after promotion...What an atmosphere.
West ham in the league cup in 80.
West ham in the youth cup final 81
Dundalk ECWC 81
Queuing up in the "middle of the night" for FA cup final replay tickets, what a feeling of camaraderie among various age groups of supporter...I walked on the pitch(just) that day as well :)

That'll do ...for part 1

Tomo

Supporter
Much as the Boleyn farewell was cheesy and in some cases overdone it did make me think how we are going to approach what will be our last game at the Lane at the end of next season. Obviously in our case we are not leaving our home, our home is being rebuilt but surely we will give the old girl a good send off, although most likely in our case we will lose the last game at the Lane handing the title to Woolwich in true Spursy style.

The West Ham experience did make me realise the pitfalls of leaving and the lessons we should take into account considering for some reason now leaving a stadium is a world wide event and eyes will be on us. Our fans need to show same passion as the Hammers did but without the stupidity beforehand but I am confident we will do that, mostly we show good passion but without going overboard. No gimmicky jokes either like London Cabs on the pitch, interviewing 'legends' as great as Carlton Cole or Marlon Harwood. Very embarrassing I felt but to be fair while their club and fans acted like idiots their players where exceptional on the day and showed their club in a good light.

I hope and kind of expect Levy to get real legends like Hoddle, Klinsmann, Greeves and perhaps songs from the likes of fans such as Adele but to be honest I don't know. The point of the thread was really to get a sense from fellow fans what the feeling are about this. I know it's still a year off but it will come soon enough.

1. Should we consider this the same as West Ham leaving the Boleyn or is this more just an upgrade and not so big?
2. How should we handle this occasion, what would you like to see as we say goodbye or should it be low key?
3. What are you favourite memories of the Lane (I know we still have one season left)?

It's funny, I thought that game was going to be awful it was just a case of being there. But it brought all fans together and just looking up at the jumbotron at the end, and not at what was on the screen, but rather the club crest, was just magic.

I think a lot of lessons could be learned from that game in terms of celebrations, but I dunno, I'm just not holding my breath. I think the rubbish kit is a signal that Levy just sees the new stadium as another WHL.

You think everything is going to be awful. Be honest - you're a widdershin - I'm astonished you tout yourself as a supporter.

. I know I sound like an old grump but all of my romantic feelings towards WHL are held with the old east stand, I simply do not have an attachment to this current version than the one I had with Mr Archibald Leitch's masterpiece & a terraced Park lane and Paxton. Obviously I'm very aware that for some WHL in it's current incarnation is all that is known and because of that the emotions felt would be the same as mine for the old, old WHL so I would respect a send off if wanted.

Seeing as we lose or at best draw every game that sees us celebrate something significant, I'd rather have the last game played as a testimonial game. A number of players left recently that were at this club for a very long time, so it would be appropriate for them to have a joint testimonial. By doing this it also keeps football at the centre of the celebration rather than some tacky variety show. Testimonials are also light hearted and good fun without the micro penis's getting anxious & twitchy.
You old grump... but yes... 100% what you said!

.... not sure what that has to do with this thread either.
It's 'cos they're gonna invite ALL our ex-players from our illustrious 136 year history to walk around the pitch after the final game...
But Pardew and Crouch will be the only two to turn up..m and both will want to do their little dance... Crouch's "Robot" and Pardew's "Smug Cunt Giration" ...and we'll have an online fans vote as to who's was the best... and that'll be that.
Goodbye White Hart Lane...

And THAT'S why it's relevant!

Back
Top Bottom