#18 We love you Redknapp but...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MissCusack said:
Spooky - why aren't you on there again???

I can tell Ricky, Spooky, Dan and Thelonius straight off I think its Flav/Jack that can be confusing.

ROFL

Just got round to listening.

On redknapp there is a point Flav makes which is entirely valid but not lingered on.

A manager should never be beyond criticism, whether it is redknapp, fergie, hughton, martinez. As much as I don't believe in the 'one game mentality' when talking about tenure of managers, it is the persistent pressure of performance which is needed.

Accountability is the key, otherwise you end up with a 'Wenger type' relationship where there is a self-fulfilling prophecy, and ultimately no-one can challenge the manager when changes need to be made when the face of perceived failure.

I would hate for us to be similar to the goons in any way whatsoever, we are better than that.

Support the team, support the manager, but only if he performs. Performance is everything.

Gotta go and google 'windy' and 'maddie' as I believe there is still a reward pending........

Very entertaining this week. Sibs's bit at the end was great way to end the show. It makes me want to blow a vu... vuza... vufz... plastic trumpet.

any away game people attend, feel free to record shit and submit. I put it in the OP of the WBA thread, probably should amended the thread title to make it clearer.

I managed to bring myself to listen to what I managed to record, fucking hell! I was ruined! :mong:

Hi all, just found this podcast last week and have been listening back to recent episodes and really enjoying it. Great banter and proper informed football chat. Really appreciate the updates on the Spurs youths and reserves, it's pretty hard to get much news on that side of the club. Cheers!

Just wanted to make a couple of points regarding the comments about Redknapp. One common criticism is that he doesn't have a clue about tactics, for one I think that's exaggerated, he's not stupid and has obviously learned a thing or 2 during his long time in football. But I also believe that the importance of a tactical mastermind as manager is also exaggerated. I think even the most blinkered Man Utd fan would agree that Ferguson is no tactical mastermind, yet that hasn't stopped him being one of the greatest managers of all time. I concede that at the very highest level, especially in Europe it can be a problem not being more tactically aware.

I think Redknapp is a good judge of player and once he's got the players he rates and trusts*, he keeps it simple and let's them play football, trusting their footballing talents. This freedom gives the players confidence, makes it much more likely they'll enjoy their football, and also makes it exciting for us fans. He almost always seems to start games with this attitude, the only tactical tinkering coming in the middle of games. The Milan tie at home last year was one of the few games where he made a few tactical changes before the game but I can't remember whether that was because some players were out or not, anyway, it's a rarity.

2 qoutes to back me up

"Football is a simple game made complicated by those who should know better" Bill Shankly

"Redknapp has a very, very good knowledge of the game".... and is "a good judge of a footballer and 80-90 per cent of successful management is about getting the right players in the club. You don't see him complicating it with big tactics or formations" Johnny Giles

*however, if he doesn't trust a player, that player's pretty much fucked

Back
Top Bottom