100% Angeball, or adapt during the game? Which are you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's your preferred style of play?

• Total voters
We are just about laying some foundations, no construction project goes 100% smooth. It almost worked a treat last night, going for it.
Imagine in a years time though how much better drilled and competent they'll be... it could be frightening for the rest of the league. Son's disallowed goal, his goal last time against Palace was another awesome team goal. Its just scratching the surface what they are capable of, and just 11 games in too.
Angeball all the way. In Angeball we trust

If we had 9 at the back and hope for the best for the last 35 minutes would have lost because our defenders are not good enough . By having a go we had Diers offside goal, good chance for Son and the near miss by Bentancur.
It looked ridiculous at times but I’d rather have a go.

Ange ball = Pride
Ange ball = Excitement
Even with 9 men we give them a game,unfortunately we ran out of legs but I am immensely proud of the fact they stuck to it, with 11 we are a match for most teams.

Oh wow, you must be so proud lmao!!
Didn't know your life revolves around this forum lol. You want a cookie?:ange-lol:
The old I'm too cool to admit I shoved my foot in my mouth response.

Congrats on making an asshat out of yourself. Next time you're wrong, just hold your hand up instead of acting like a cunt and hurling personal insults, kid.

We won fuck all playing Joseball and Conteball while suffering from dreadful football.

If we ain’t winning Jack shit as the club isn’t yet ready to get the squad to compete with the likes of City we might as well play to our traditions of being the team with the biggest balls in the league going back to Hoddle, Bill Nic and even before.
I'm in Tomo's camp 100%.

But really it's more nuanced than this. Let's not lose sight on how we've played this season by seeing the game out well. Ange too has made some great defensive subs, PEH, Emerson and Skipp have been brought on to great effect to help us see out the games (last 4 games).

We aren't a batshit crazy gun-ho team Ossie Ardilles team, we've been very measured. So there is a chance that some kind of false narrative gets generated about us because of playing with a high-line with 9 men.

I've never ever seen a team do what we did last night and I fucking loved it, which is why I'm agreeing with Tomo's comments. But it's rare that a team goes down to 9 men (first time Spurs have at home in their entire history apparently!!) and when you do the default is sit deep, the result tends to be the same though as we saw with Liverpool.

I also think that because Ange is only 12 games into his time at Spurs, he used this game to instil his philosophy and I genuinely think it worked. The proof of it working was the fans staying in their seats, cheering their team on, fully invested in what they saw, fully believing they could get something from the game (whilst also fully aware that Chavs could score at any moment with a ball over the top). The players have never been cheered off having lost a game 1-4 (I've never cheered my team off after losing 1-4) but we know what these lads are made of and the players now know how they get treated by the fans if they give us something to get behind.

I'm in Tomo's camp 100%.

But really it's more nuanced than this. Let's not lose sight on how we've played this season by seeing the game out well. Ange too has made some great defensive subs, PEH, Emerson and Skipp have been brought on to great effect to help us see out the games (last 4 games).

We aren't a batshit crazy gun-ho team Ossie Ardilles team, we've been very measured. So there is a chance that some kind of false narrative gets generated about us because of playing with a high-line with 9 men.

I've never ever seen a team do what we did last night and I fucking loved it, which is why I'm agreeing with Tomo's comments. But it's rare that a team goes down to 9 men (first time Spurs have at home in their entire history apparently!!) and when you do the default is sit deep, the result tends to be the same though as we saw with Liverpool.

I also think that because Ange is only 12 games into his time at Spurs, he used this game to instil his philosophy and I genuinely think it worked. The proof of it working was the fans staying in their seats, cheering their team on, fully invested in what they saw, fully believing they could get something from the game (whilst also fully aware that Chavs could score at any moment with a ball over the top). The players have never been cheered off having lost a game 1-4 (I've never cheered my team off after losing 1-4) but we know what these lads are made of and the players now know how they get treated by the fans if they give us something to get behind.
Yeah, I've said it before and I'll say it again - important work that was done instilling the mentality and camaraderie in the squad last night. Down 2 men with our star AM both starting CBs and LB out of the match but still damn the torpedoes, we're Tottenham fucking Hotspur and nearly scoring 3 goals out of it.

That's going to pay dividends at some point this season that will be much more valuable than the 1 point in the league that some would rather we defended. We've seen what that "pragmatic" mentality did to Spurs in recent years - collapse at the most inopportune times. Fully believe we'll be in a spot with our back up against it later this season, much less future seasons, and we'll come out fucking swinging and snatch victory from the jaws of a draw, much less defeat. That by itself, just once, will be worth double the points some wanted us to protect last night.

Last edited:
We are going to be without our first choice pair for the foreseeable so we need to learn quick on how to deal with situations in their absence, a real live match is the perfect opportunity.

Last night was all about learning, our players would have taken a hell of a lot more confidence out of playing that way and knowing that Vicario was there to sweep up behind them, it means that they have the confidence of pushing up and playing their football knowing that you have an insurance policy behind you.

Now imagine how they are feeling now knowing that as opposed to dropping an anchor and playing in our box, I think our manager used the 2nd half as a practice match knowing that the game was essentially lost in order to drum his philosophy into the players and the players will benefit from it in the long term.

Yeah, I've said it before and I'll say it again - important work that was done instilling the mentality and camaraderie in the squad last night. Down 2 men with our star AM both starting CBs and LB out of the match but still damn the torpedoes, we're Tottenham fucking Hotspur and nearly scoring 3 goals out of it.

That's going to pay dividends at some point this season that will be much more valuable than the 1 point in the league that some would rather we defended. We've seen what that "pragmatic" mentality did to Spurs in recent years - collapse at the most inopportune times. Fully believe we'll be in a spot with our back up against it later this season, much less future seasons, and we'll come out fucking swinging and snatch victory from the jaws of a draw, much less defeat. That by itself, just once, will be worth double the points some wanted us to protect last night.
Agreed, and it's exactly this that got us the points at Luton and against Sheff United so far this season.

depends on the opponents tbh.

Yesterday's game against bitter rivals who have had major problems with low block teams the whole season as well as problems finishing their chances (as evidenced again yesterday) required us to not play a high line with 9 men imo.

I feel that minimising their chances and frustrating would have been the best option as they would have inevitably created even less chances to convert being that they are totally inept at doing that.

They were cutting through at will and were inevitably going to score. We were literally relying on Vicario playing as a centre half.

I love that Ange has certain football principles but it doesn't make you a lesser man/manager if certain unforseen scenarios make you sway from those principles from time to time.

Lost it when Dier scored.

Almost lost it when Son managed to get in the box and have a shot.

Hands on head when Bentancur missed the back post header.

Without Ange's system I wouldn't have even had those moments. It would have been worth turning off at 9 men.

COYS

my probelm with what he did last night is we havw lost 2 CH's for minimum of 3 games, we lost LB 1 game, Maddison 1 or 2 games
so why have the other 8 out field players run themselves into the ground (maybe causing muscle/tireness etct) with 9 players we could have dropped back and defended (yes I expect we would have lost the game) but I'm wondering what damage we may have done to the players now

my probelm with what he did last night is we havw lost 2 CH's for minimum of 3 games, we lost LB 1 game, Maddison 1 or 2 games
so why have the other 8 out field players run themselves into the ground (maybe causing muscle/tireness etct) with 9 players we could have dropped back and defended (yes I expect we would have lost the game) but I'm wondering what damage we may have done to the players now
The players likely take more from having had a go, having the fans clap them off, attempting something never done before.

This could make us a better team in the long run. Could galvanise us.
Laying down to die wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom