Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I watched the Brentford game on Sat and Pritchard was once again a standout. Creative and reliable in possession, seems a much safer pair of legs than Lamela.

Been saying all season he doesn't do enough. Sometimes I feel like he is beyond criticism among our supporters. Yes he looks dangerous with his close control and fancy step overs but how many matches has he really stamped his influence on them? I do like the fact he works hard tracking back and that is to be admired but he is in the team to score and create goals and frankly he hasn't done that. No reason he should be in the team ahead of Chadli

I watched the Brentford game on Sat and Pritchard was once again a standout. Creative and reliable in possession, seems a much safer pair of legs than Lamela.
Agreed. Gets up and down, helps out defensively but springs into attack, good crossing ability, scores goals (great at set pieces) and keeps going for 90 mins (Poch will LOVE that!). Would also fit in with the ethos of bringing in our own youth players and have the added benefit of already knowing Bentileb, Mason, Townsend etc.

Been saying all season he doesn't do enough. Sometimes I feel like he is beyond criticism among our supporters. Yes he looks dangerous with his close control and fancy step overs but how many matches has he really stamped his influence on them? I do like the fact he works hard tracking back and that is to be admired but he is in the team to score and create goals and frankly he hasn't done that. No reason he should be in the team ahead of Chadli
I agree, but that's not particularly the actual argument that people are having. Lamela's only real shift at left wing has been this last appearance; he has most definitely been a right winger for us, and he's in competition more with Andros than Chadli, who recently was granted a compassionate leave and really hasn't gotten back to full fitness.

And on that note I think he's been more threatening than Andros, who injects some lively attacking runs that look great but that mostly go nowhere. Lamela has actually created decent chances for us fairly regularly, not to mention some wonder saves that he's forced out of the opposing keeper. He's struggled for form, but maybe not most but quite a lot of that has been down to just terrible luck.

And he's been very proactive about pressing and forcing errors and turnovers in the opposing half.

Him, Andros and Mousa all showed that they are not the three you want as your starting 3 behind the striker but I do think Lamela was by far the best out of the three.

I am disappointed that his two last performance haven't continued the decent run of form he showed up until that point. He remains in the starting 11 for me but I hope he picks it up a bit before the summer.

He sure seems to polarize views among supporters though. I've heard just as many say he was the only one giving it a go up until Poch's subs, as I've heard people say he was the worst player on the pitch against WHU.

Isn't he joint top for assists with Chadli?

Just being made out for a scapegoat.
Our best winger off the ball, and joint with Chadli on the ball when he releases.
He always draws around 3 players in, and makes holes for everyone else, if he can release more often, more assists will come.

Erik will come good as soon as two things happen 1. He gets played on the right 2. He enhances his final product ie. beat a few men, passing or shooting more often, it's all there we just need to put all the pieces of the puzzle together to bring the best out of Erik Lamela

Isn't he joint top for assists with Chadli?

Just being made out for a scapegoat.
Our best winger off the ball, and joint with Chadli on the ball when he releases.
He always draws around 3 players in, and makes holes for everyone else, if he can release more often, more assists will come.

Agree with all this - but that doesn't mean we aren't allowed to expect more or criticize aspects of his game etc. Don't understand why so many feel the need to either elevate a player to absurd levels, or the complete opposite (not saying you did either, btw). In no way has Lamela been the worst player, nor has he been a standout like Kane, Hugo or Christian. He's been okay most games, quite decent at times and straight up poor occasionally. The price tag continues to completely blind people from his actual performances IMO.

I still can't understand how he scored 17 goals his last season at Roma. He seems to lack the intelligence to get into good positions to score. Compare him to Chadli who even when he doesn't score he always seems to pop up with good chances every match he plays.

lamela right now is played out of position a lot of times he looks afraid to lose the ball becuz he knows he has defensive duties also he needs to go to the byline sometimes it wouldnt make him so predictable.

I still can't understand how he scored 17 goals his last season at Roma. He seems to lack the intelligence to get into good positions to score. Compare him to Chadli who even when he doesn't score he always seems to pop up with good chances every match he plays.

Lots of reasons.

For a start teams in Italy they tend to use 3 at the back, giving him more space to break on the right wing, cut inside a CB and curl it in. In England he has a full back following him back all the way to make sure that doesn't happen.

Secondly, he gets crowded out a lot. Despite playing on the right wing 'his space' is really that of an attacking midfielder. Shamefully that's also where Eriksen, Chadli and Kane are and so it all ends up becoming a bit tight and narrow. Thirdly, it's a lot less physical and slower paced, allowing the more technical players to thrive. Lamela isn't physical enough for England at the moment, questions over whether he ever will be.

He gets in to good positions to score. He had a good volley yesterday which was dangerous, he's been very unlucky not to have more goals this season. I can think of at least 5 times he's hit the post, a few more where he's just hit it wide. As I said earlier, he does 90% of things right then fluffs it or something goes wrong.

Last edited:
Lots of reasons.

For a start teams in Italy tend to use 3 at the back, giving him more space to break on the right wing, cut inside a CB and curl it in. In England he has a full back following him back all the way to make sure that doesn't happen.

Secondly, he gets crowded out a lot. Despite playing on the right wing 'his space' is really that of an attacking midfielder. Shamefully that's also where Eriksen, Chadli and Kane are and so it all ends up becoming a bit tight and narrow. Thirdly, it's a lot less physical and slower paced, allowing the more technical players to thrive. Lamela isn't physical enough for England at the moment, questions over whether he ever will be.

He gets in to good positions to score. He had a good volley yesterday which was dangerous, he's been very unlucky not to have more goals this season. I can think of at least 5 times he's hit the post, a few more where he's just hit it wide. As I said earlier, he does 90% of things right then fluffs it or something goes wrong.
Van Persie hit the post a ton of times in the year just before his big season at Woolwich. This could be quite similar.

Thirdly, it's a lot less physical and slower paced, allowing the more technical players to thrive. Lamela isn't physical enough for England at the moment, questions over whether he ever will be..
That's nail on head I think, Chadli on other hands excels where Lamela doesn't and the difference is there to see with his goal output

Van Persie hit the post a ton of times in the year just before his big season at Woolwich. This could be quite similar.
Hope so!!!
I like Erik and think he is still young enough to adapt to the English game, not writing him off just yet (unlike Soldado, who I don't think is ever going to make it). I do think he gets a lot of uncalled criticism though.

Don't think its an apt comparison van Persie always looked good when he played his main stumbling blocks were injuries

Yes, because Lamela hasn't had 2 injuries in two years, gone through 3 managers, barely had any game time in his first year and still acclimatising to the league, is he?

You need to bare in mind that Chadli has had an entire year to adapt, Lamela hasn't. He's got 4 goals and 8 assists in 35 matches; directly responsible for a goal in 1/3 matches. Granted, that's not the form of a world beater but he certainly isn't as bad as some people make him out to be.

Next year I expect him to push on. If he doesn't then we can discuss how 'shit' he may or may not be. Just bare in mind the only replacement for Lamela is Townsend, who offers a lot less IMO.

Personally, I think he's a second striker and is being used wrong. He's at his best when being direct, threading through balls or taking shots; we don't see enough of that in his current role.

Last edited:
if he can release more often, more assists will come.

Yes...but this is primarily what makes him so fucking shit. Not passing, and hogging the ball until he loses it.

So, basically, you are saying "if he can stop being shit, he will be better"

Could say that for anyone...."Ade is fine...if he can motivate himself, and score more, he´ll be great"

Not passing, and hogging the ball until he loses it.

Amazes me that this accusation is still made. He has one of the highest passing percentages out of our attacking 4.

Hogging the ball seems to be due to a lack of confidence and experience, rather than wanting to keep it. He wants to be progressive, attacking, to make something happen. I'd prefer that than going back to the AVB era of "Pass it back whenever you're under pressure".

Back
Top Bottom