Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Another disappointing game from him. Misplaced passes,holding on to the ball too long and then having the nerve to complain and throw his hands up in the air when he's the one making the mistakes.

After seeing what Lennon has to offer though, I'd still start Lamela.

Poch needs to impose a similar sort of rule as Colin Wanker did with Taarabt when he was manager at QPR.

Fine a weeks wages to anyone who passes the ball to Lamela in his own half.

Last edited:
I won't be too harsh on him for giving the ball away when we are attacking because yesterday only he and Mason and actually looked to play a through ball or anything in behind the Newcastle defence. Eriksen, Chadli, Capoue and Adebayor all went sideways or backwards at every oppurtunity! Of course he will give it away more when he is actually trying to be a bit brave (at times naive) with the ball

I won't be too harsh on him for giving the ball away when we are attacking because yesterday only he and Mason and actually looked to play a through ball or anything in behind the Newcastle defence. Eriksen, Chadli, Capoue and Adebayor all went sideways or backwards at every oppurtunity! Of course he will give it away more when he is actually trying to be a bit brave (at times naive) with the ball

I agree, but it's more the being caught in possession and retaining the ball for much longer than necessary that gets me every time.

No he's failing to adapt to the lack of forward and losing confidence because of our poor attacking play due to the lack of striker.

In a good team he'd do fine.
I can't agree with that. He's often the reason our attacks go nowhere. Just keep it simple at times, pass the ball to someone in a a more advanced position and make sure to be available for a return pass.

On merit, Lamela probably shouldn't be starting in the league. However, this year is all about development and transition for our young side under a new manager. If we're a competitive side in the next couple of seasons it will probably be linked to Lamela fulfilling the promise of his price tag and talent.

Lamela needs time to fuck up, improve and get comfortable. So while I'm sure he'll have me pulling my hair out on Sunday as he takes 25 touches while dribbling backwards, it's all about the long run and Lamela needs to be playing as much football as possible. Same goes for Mason, Rose, Eriksen, Kane, Bentaleb, Walker, Dier, etc. They'll probably do some stupid things and piss you off but in the long run they could really be a special bunch IMO. Patience, as always, is a virtue.

On merit, Lamela probably shouldn't be starting in the league.

I think he's got a long way to go before we see the best of him, but I think he definitely deserves to be starting tbh.

Good amount of assists in the league
Scoring in the cups
Assisting in the cups
Has been a game changer more than once when brought on
Best at pressing in the whole team
Has hit the woodwork several times, unlucky not to have more goals/a league goal by now
Very successful take-ons, second only to Hazard

Which is more than can be said for Townsend and Lennon. Eriksen hasn't been better than Lamela either imo, Chadli because of his goals maybe.

On merit, Lamela probably shouldn't be starting in the league. However, this year is all about development and transition for our young side under a new manager. If we're a competitive side in the next couple of seasons it will probably be linked to Lamela fulfilling the promise of his price tag and talent.

Lamela needs time to fuck up, improve and get comfortable. So while I'm sure he'll have me pulling my hair out on Sunday as he takes 25 touches while dribbling backwards, it's all about the long run and Lamela needs to be playing as much football as possible. Same goes for Mason, Rose, Eriksen, Kane, Walker, Dier, etc. They'll probably do some stupid things and piss you off but in the long run they could really be a special bunch IMO. Patience, as always, is a virtue.
I've got loads of patience. I'm not going to start supporting anyone else. We just go into siege mode and hope, and wait. I enjoy it when everyone's having a go (at us) to be honest.

Last edited:
Might not be a bad idea to drop Lamela to the bench for a game. Just to give him a bit of a re-boot.

I'm starting to agree with people who've suggested that we may need to go Eriksen or Lamela, not both.

We seem to get a bit congested and narrow in the final third. And if Ade's up front, he often moves out wide, leaving us with no penetration into the penalty box.

Do you think that is the reason for him taking too long on the ball? The lack of intelligent running in front of him?

Yes. I definately think exactly that. In the beginning of this season he didn't have the same problems. In games we've been losing he's started doing it towards the end, when the frustration in the team has reached a certain level and he's seemed the only one still trying to do something.

In the last couple of games, the team and Lamela have carried frustration from previous games, and he's fallen back to bad old habits of trying to fix things solo, by dribbling and spending too much time on the ball, earlier on in the games.

He needs a functioning striker, and a talking to. Poch needs to get him back to basics.

Really don't see why Lamela is the first name off the start sheet. His 9 points (3+6 all comps) equal Harry Kane's and the latter is praised universally while the first is scrutinized and criticized. I get that Lamela will potentially cost us £30m and Kane is HG and all that but let's look at this way: Lamela is 22, a year older than the next Sheringham. He's from Argentina and has played most of his football in Italy. His first year at Spurs was riddled with injuries and off pitch drama.

He is doing just fine. He's too eager on the ball at times and needs to simplify his game a touch. He's also our most creative player right now as Eriksen is not playing at his best. Lamela and Mason were the only players actually trying against Newcastle and sometimes when you try, you fail. But at least you tried and didn't just hand over responsibility elsewehere. Newcastle wasn't a one off neither.

I'm not saying the man is undroppable but he is far from the first player out of the "league 11".

PS: I love Harry Kane.

Really don't see why Lamela is the first name off the start sheet. His 9 points (3+6 all comps) equal Harry Kane's and the latter is praised universally while the first is scrutinized and criticized. I get that Lamela will potentially cost us £30m and Kane is HG and all that but let's look at this way: Lamela is 22, a year older than the next Sheringham. He's from Argentina and has played most of his football in Italy. His first year at Spurs was riddled with injuries and off pitch drama.

He is doing just fine. He's too eager on the ball at times and needs to simplify his game a touch. He's also our most creative player right now as Eriksen is not playing at his best. Lamela and Mason were the only players actually trying against Newcastle and sometimes when you try, you fail. But at least you tried and didn't just hand over responsibility elsewehere. Newcastle wasn't a one off neither.

I'm not saying the man is undroppable but he is far from the first player out of the "league 11".

PS: I love Harry Kane.
I agree with you but I think it might help Lamela to just drop down to the bench for a league match. A bit of a rest and a fresh perspective, seeing how the match pans out from the sideline.

And maybe freeing him from any pressure that he's got to do it all himself.

Doesn't mean he can't come on for the last half hour or so.

I'm not saying "he's crap, drop him." Sometimes a bit of subtler man management is needed.

Lamela can be great but we don't want to fry him mentally or physically.

Back
Top Bottom