Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I keep hearing this. Anyone care to elaborate?

Rabona
6 assists
Price tag

Please go on..

Sammy stop being a cunt...
You have been watching football from the basement of your mums house long enough to know that there are other factors, outside of ability which effect performance...
Regardless of whether he ever puts it together for us, I think at some point he will fire...
And I don't know about you mate, but I'm a spurs fan, call me biased but I just want the kid to do well...

People going so OTT about this.

He was last to arrive for pre-season. He's the least match fit, the least sharp and that showed. Don't blame the kid for being picked for his national side and suffering the consequences. The blame is there to be shared, not focused.

Toby let them back into the game with the penalty. After that it was poor game management by everyone. Poch chose to bring on Lamela. Lamela played poor.

After being our top assister he now needs to go, because he was poor for 15-20 mins? I'm sorry, but no. He won't be match fit until after the international window. Until then he's still weeks behind the rest of the team, in terms of fitness.

I keep hearing this. Anyone care to elaborate?

Rabona
6 assists
Price tag

Please go on..
Ok I'll make my case for Erik...

Many well weighted and disguised passes/assists, few goals including a rabona, a volley in the same game, and a great volley for Argentina this season too all of which require great shot technique, the successful dribbles (at one point he ranked just behind Hazard in that stat), the way he lets the ball run across him to open space, the way he can draw 2-3 defenders towards him and for me most importantly his vision, touch and control. He is one of the only players who can control a difficult pass drilled into him whilst running and take it in his stride effortlessly, play 1-2s in crowded areas etc. Also hit the woodwork about 3 times unlucky not to have another goal or 2.

He is good at the difficult things, which rely on technical ability.

erik_lamela_v_willian_head_to_head_tottenham_and_chelsea_stars_c_125750.jpg

One of our best players v Man City last season

Examples of some great play v Hull, our of best players again and his link up with Eriksen in this game was superb at points. At 3min 40 sec, to pull off that little feint under pressure in the box in real time takes real confidence and presence of mind (shame he skyed it after), you can tell there's quality in him.

I could post more because he's had good games and good moments. They get overshadowed by the bad games because that's what people pick up on, every mistake is amplified by the fact it's the record signing Bale replacement.
He tore Burnley a new one from start to finish.

As someone who wants us to play it forward quicker (I'm going to assume you mean quick passing and not hoofing it up there) you really ought to be seeing the benefit of a guy like Lamela.
For quick passing you need to break the defensive lines of the opponent. That takes coaching great movement, creating passing channels, losing markers etc. You can't simply shout cliches at the team like "right we need to play it quicker before the opponents settle", you think they haven't heard that and/or don't realise they need to do that?
Lamela has that elusiveness- his movement is great, and ability to play pass and move. A rare trait. Not a flat track bully, got assists are the scum and anfield. Think back to the anfield goal, in a packed central midfield he played a 1-2 with eriksen and then a disguised reverse ball to kane. You're not getting that from a O'Hara or Livermore, that's poise and guile.

This all why I (and others) think he has the skill set to become a good player.

I'll leave with this

it didn't come out of thin air he did all that, and yeah it's a highlight video but it's an indication of what he has in his locker. Give him patience, fans on his back isn't going to help.

this is the season for Lamela and for us. If he does another shite year we will sell him for a bargain, this is the last month we can sell him for some money if he flops next year. For something like 20M, Levy should pay the Ryanair ticket to Turin.

A very hard case to crack. He has a lot of talent, is young but looks like he tries too hard to impress and that usually never works in life. Ah, Lamela Lamela...

Aaron Lennon, 2010/2011. Widely praised and feared. 3 goals, 8 assists.

Erik Lamela, 2014/2015. Widely seen as a flop. 5 goals and 10 assists.

He's no where near as bad as some of you make out. He has his errors and he needs to improve; no one is saying he's word class, but a lot of people are saying it's his "last chance". It's laughable.

If he improves on last season, which was his first 'real' season of football in England, then statistically he will be the best right winger we have had in a decade, and he's already close. Yet he's shit and "On his last legs" and "a flop". Alright then.

A very hard case to crack.

Not really. It's confidence. If he gets some, you'll see the benefit. Yet instead fans want to bitch about him.

Had an amazing season at Roma. Is hyped up. Comes to England, has a manager that has 0 belief in him. Doesn't get played. Gets injured. Misses the entire season. After that, anyone would start to doubt themselves.

Do we have a chant for Chadli? Or Lamela? Or even Eriksen? 'Support'...I mean for fuck sake, Chadli made his own up and we still don't sing it.

The no preseason excuse is the most lame excuse ever. Sanchez and Aguero both got no preseason but started and played well yesterday. You don't need a preseason to show your class and quality. Form is temporary but class is permanent.

Last edited:
We sell Lamela, then we need to find someone who can replace him, it as simple as that. Why we kept him in for this season is because he actually does something in the final third, townsend and lennon are a bag of hot air. Lamela creates.

iJdZaXb.png

Sammy stop being a cunt...
You have been watching football from the basement of your mums house long enough to know that there are other factors, outside of ability which effect performance...
Regardless of whether he ever puts it together for us, I think at some point he will fire...
And I don't know about you mate, but I'm a spurs fan, call me biased but I just want the kid to do well...

Yet you havent listed any factors

We sell Lamela, then we need to find someone who can replace him, it as simple as that. Why we kept him in for this season is because he actually does something in the final third, townsend and lennon are a bag of hot air. Lamela creates.

iJdZaXb.png
Everyone always goes mad about Eriksen's passing. 2 assists isn't exactly stellar for an attacking mid.

Many well weighted and disguised passes/assists, few goals including a rabona, a volley in the same game, and a great volley for Argentina this season too all of which require great shot technique, the successful dribbles (at one point he ranked just behind Hazard in that stat), the way he lets the ball run across him to open space, the way he can draw 2-3 defenders towards him and for me most importantly his vision, touch and control. He is one of the only players who can control a difficult pass drilled into him whilst running and take it in his stride effortlessly, play 1-2s in crowded areas etc. Also hit the woodwork about 3 times unlucky not to have another goal or 2.

Is this a joke?

Its like trying to sell me a rusty cortina...."yeah, well you can see through the windows. The wheels are round...sort of...err....its still got the seats, and if the engine was better it would be ok"

Luka Modric, 2009/10, Widely seen as world class. 4 goals and 6 assists.

Oh. My. God.

Lamela is world class

Last edited:

He's no where near as bad as some of you make out. He has his errors and he needs to improve; no one is saying he's word class, but a lot of people are saying it's his "last chance". It's laughable.

If he improves on last season, which was his first 'real' season of football in England, then statistically he will be the best right winger we have had in a decade, and he's already close. Yet he's shit and "On his last legs" and "a flop". Alright then.
what are you talking about? of course it's his last chance this season. You can bring up every stat you want... the simple eye test will tell you he hasn't delivered anywhere near what he cost.

what are you talking about? of course it's his last chance this season. You can bring up every stat you want... the simple eye test will tell you he hasn't delivered anywhere near what he cost.

Give him 10 years cos he was good at Roma

Im still waiting for Rebrov to come good. Soldado hat-trick this week?

Is this a joke?

Luka Modric, 2009/10, Widely seen as world class. 4 goals and 6 assists.

Oh. My. God.

Lamela is world class

Thank you...stats don't tell the whole story. Despite whatever the stats say Lamela was pretty poor last season, atrocious the season before (but that has more to do with AVB tbh) and was disgracefully bad when he came on against Stoke.

There is hope though. If he plays in the attacking central position i think he could deliver but on the right? please no.

...and we have found our scapegoat for 2015/16

No, just holding him responsible for his performances.

I thought one of Pochs admirable factors was dropping names and giving kids a chance.

Why should Lamela be ahead of Pritchard, Townsend, Carrol or Alli next week? Because he was good at Roma?

Same twats that thought Soldado deserved a chance when Ade went to shit. No one was talking about Kane. Thank god for Tim.

No, just holding him responsible for his performances.

I thought one of Pochs admirable factors was dropping names and giving kids a chance.

Why should Lamela be ahead of Pritchard, Townsend, Carrol or Alli next week? Because he was good at Roma?

Same twats that thought Soldado deserved a chance when Ade went to shit. No one was talking about Kane. Thank god for Tim.
Jog on, goon clown - no one gives a fuck about your boy Tim - your agenda is as transparent as Arry's envelopes

If you hate everything about Spurs and Poch - go support someone else

Jog on, goon clown - no one gives a fuck about your boy Tim - your agenda is as transparent as Arry's envelopes

If you hate everything about Spurs and Poch - go support someone else

Hate everything about Spurs?

Ive just backed 4 of our youngsters to get some game time....is Lamela more important than them to you?
Id prefer to use our homegrown talent seeing as that what we have decided is our new policy.

As far as Im aware, poor performers lose their place in this regime?

Or does that not count if you are Argentinian..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom