Levy's Biggest Fan (not)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was born in 91 so i don't know what it was like in the 80's obviously. However, I do know that the money in the game has changed completely. It used to be posible to get a bit of a team together and have a run at the league. Nowadays, you need to spend a billion to do that. And that has a knock on effect to the players. When it was easier to win the league, it was easier to attract players. Back then, just living in London would have been a good incentive. Whereas nowadays the big players nearly always end up at the same 5-10 top clubs in europe.

As for the envious thing, i would have to disagree. Not because i think clubs wouldn't have been envious of us back then, but because theres only 4 clubs in the country that wouldn't swap places with us this season. We're still enviable, its just that the parameters have changed. What it means to be a top club has changed. It used to be that, having the odd run at the title every few years and making a final every few years made you a top club. But nowadays, being financially sound, run at a profit, and finishing high enough in the premier league to earn a place in a european competition qualifies as being a top club. Winning the league isn't special anymore. Whats special about a trophy that essentially goes to the highest bidder, and a team of people that, the majority of which weren't even born in the same country as the team they play for.
I agree with some of the sentiment, but mate......

Winning the league, the fa cup, league cup, europa cup, champions league.... they are all fucking special. All bragging rights down the road, all great memories to the guys in the stands when they are there. All prestige for our club.

Some young whipper snapper gives me stick about our failure in the fa cup >>> kid, spurs are the only non-league team to ever win that thing, jog on. Records and history mate.

Sure there is a monopoly right now on top 4, but look at Liverpool, same could happen to Chelsea and City easily I reckon as they have far less history than the bin dippers.

Every now and then a team will beat the financial trend and achieve more, and it might be rare, but if anything it makes it even more special.
Southampton this year, didn't win the league, but boy did they do well. Say we get lucky next couple of years - with a bit more clout in a fair few areas than Southampton, that could be our 1 year.
Would it not be special?
And isn't being a spurs fan partly about having hope. I mean ... Jesus, the luck we've had... when we get to an important game, part of me is waiting to hear how half our squad has got food poisoning again lol

The bit i bolded. Public relations let downs.
Sorry the bolding thing isn't as obvious as it was.

I don't like the secrecy to begin with. They have no need to keep us in the dark as much as they do. The stadium is a good example of this - Levy is obsessed with it. Also the bollocks surrounding the potential appointment of De Boer - a man who innocently answered a straightforward question to a Dutch journalist, and was hung out to dry by Levy when all he'd done was tell the truth. The over zealous stewarding, the hiding behind the local council when it comes to the issue of flags and banners etc, his tight fistedness and inability to see the bigger picture when a calculated risk could have really paid dividends. All these are, or were concerns for me.

I originally wanted to keep the Enic issue out of replying to your post, which was excellent, not just as a defence of Enic, but as a pointer to where we are, and where we've been, and what we should be happy with - the last bit is, of course subjective, and is something we're all never going to agree on.

Last edited:

Winning the league, the fa cup, league cup, europa cup, champions league.... they are all fucking special. All bragging rights down the road, all great memories to the guys in the stands when they are there. All prestige for our club.

Some young whipper snapper gives me stick about our failure in the fa cup >>> kid, spurs are the only non-league team to ever win that thing, jog on. Records and history mate.

Sure there is a monopoly right now on top 4, but look at Liverpool, same could happen to Chelsea and City easily I reckon as they have far less history than the bin dippers.

Every now and then a team will beat the financial trend and achieve more, and it might be rare, but if anything it makes it even more special.
Southampton this year, didn't win the league, but boy did they do well. Say we get lucky next couple of years - with a bit more clout in a fair few areas than Southampton, that could be our 1 year.
Would it not be special?
And isn't being a spurs fan partly about having hope. I mean ... Jesus, the luck we've had... when we get to an important game, part of me is waiting to hear how half our squad has got food poisoning again lol
Oh yeah I'm not saying winning a trophy is meaningless. What I'm saying is, when Chelsea win it, its not as much of an achievment as if we won it, or even liverpool. Its like, at what point does it become financially not viable to win the premier league ?

Sorry the bolding thing isn't as obvious as it was.

I don't like the secrecy to begin with. They have no need to keep us in the dark as much as they do. The stadium is a good example of this - Levy is obsessed with it. Also the bollocks surrounding the potential appointment of De Boer - a man who innocently answered a straightforward question to a Dutch journalist, and was hung out to dry by Levy when all he'd done was tell the truth. The over zealous stewarding, the hiding behind the local council when it comes to the issue of flags and banners etc, his tight fistedness and inability to see the bigger picture when a calculated risk could have really paid dividends. All these are, or were concerns for me.

I originally wanted to keep the Enic issue out of replying to your post, which was excellent, not just as a defence of Enic, but as a pointer to where we are, and where we've been, and what we should be happy with - the last bit is, of course subjective, and is something we're all never going to agree on.
Yeah when you replied i was trying to think of the non-footballing negatives but could only think of the poor handling of the "y word" stuff.

I agree with all of those things as well tbh. Although, id say many of those things are affected by external influences. Whereas the footballing side, thats solely down to Enic and in my opinion, whilst not being perfect, they've actually done a very good job.

The thing is though, as soon as i say something like that, people like fidel castro label me an "enic apologist" and seem to think I'm saying Enic can do no wrong. Truth of it is, theres always room for improvement. Even Abramaovich could have done better, so of course we could have done better.

Oh yeah I'm not saying winning a trophy is meaningless. What I'm saying is, when Chelsea win it, its not as much of an achievment as if we won it, or even liverpool. Its like, at what point does it become financially not viable to win the premier league ?
I don't think it ever becomes not viable, I guarentee that the top 4 will spend more next season - especially those that didn't win it. It's never enough to not win it - at least for Utd, City and Chelsea right now.
It will make it harder for the teams below, but that's also why ffp was brought in >>> though it's failing right now.
I would hazard a guess that rules governing this become stricter and tighter in the future though.
Finance does only cover so much.

But you're also right, it's not like there's 20 teams that have equal resources, so whoever wins did a really bang up job

Care to elaborate? I agree though. Whenever i see people saying "Enic/Levy out, 1 trophy in 14 years isn't good enough" I can't help but think these people don't really understand the club, or football in general.

You obviously don't know the club.
1 trophy in 15 years is our worst run since the 2nd World War, but that's acceptable?

You PL balance sheet supporters do my head in, football was alive and kicking before you or the PL was thought of, yes it has changed but we haven't got owners clever enough to change with it, there have been countless missed opportunities under ENIC, and Levy's total inability to appoint the right manager has nothing to do with the trophyless run I suppose, how many times has he got to sack his own appointment before idiots like you wake up to the fact that he ain't all that.

Last edited:
Yeah when you replied i was trying to think of the non-footballing negatives but could only think of the poor handling of the "y word" stuff.

I agree with all of those things as well tbh. Although, id say many of those things are affected by external influences. Whereas the footballing side, thats solely down to Enic and in my opinion, whilst not being perfect, they've actually done a very good job.

The thing is though, as soon as i say something like that, people like fidel castro label me an "enic apologist" and seem to think I'm saying Enic can do no wrong. Truth of it is, theres always room for improvement. Even Abramaovich could have done better, so of course we could have done better.
I've taken a couple of my Watford supporting mates up to Spurs for Europa games, and they piss themselves at some of the discontent at Tottenham. They love going up to Liverpool Street, having a few beers and watching European football. They can fuck off this year though - it only works when we're in different divisions. :carrollwtf:

Fidel Castro Fidel Castro Ha, you're a toff. I should have known you only do comments - answers are more difficult ha ha. Stay cool brother - have a nice night x
Sorry I couldn't reply late last night . My holiday apartments at the farm are taking up all my
time ( half term) and tomorrow is a change over day so l have to be up exceptionally early .
I can only look at the forum occasionally and for a limited time . . While the suns
out l have to make hay .
The vast majority of your comments I find interesting and tend to agree with . In this rare
case regarding young Athnony l differ . Rather a little anorak for my taste with his relentless admiration for the regime and warped exceptance of our crap silverware return . Never been
so bad since Stalin liberated Berlin . The constant McMillanism of " you never had it so good "
is so "cock and bull " and is not in the ethos and tradition of our once great club . I naively want
a " white riot " . I must one day tell you about my night out with Topper back in the day .
Please once again except my apologies ..

Last edited:
Sorry I couldn't reply late last night . My holiday apartments at the farm are taking up all my
time ( half term) and tomorrow is a change over day so l have to be up exceptionally early .
I can only look at the forum occasionally and for a limited time . . While the suns
out l have to make hay .
The vast majority of your comments I find interesting and tend to agree with . In this rare
case regarding young Athnony l differ . Rather a little anorak for my taste with his relentless admiration for the regime and warped exceptance of our crap silverware return . Never been
so bad since Stalin liberated Berlin . The constant McMillanism of " you never had it so good "
is so "cock and bull " and is not in the ethos and tradition of our once great club . I naively want
a " white riot " . I must one day tell you about my night out with Topper back in the day .
Thanks for the reply - I'd like to hear about your night out with Topper one day :adethumbup:

I kind of like and dislike that table in equal measures! It gives equal weighting to each competition though, and I really think that e.g. Everton's league titles warrants them being higher. Obviously the AIA cup should be included...
Also, most of Villa`s silverware came like in the 1700`s and 1800`s. And Newcastle have won fuck all for half a century.

Would it not be special?
This.

The odds are stacked against us, but they're not impossible. We just need some time and good fortune for the squad to fully develop and the correct opportunity arrive.

out l have to make hay .
You've not really understood my point but thats fine.

Even for the 100 years when the league was far more equal we only managed to finish a season with a trophy 16 times. SIXTEEN TIMES. That isn't taking into account the fact that since abramovich took over at chelsea, the footballing landscape has changed entirely.

Look at the graph i posted. You see that little almost straight line at the far right... Thats the only straight portion on the whole graph. in 133 years, only under ENIC have we managed to be so consistent. Yes, we haven't won many trophies, but it was only 20 years ago that doing a double was seen as an amazing feat. Nowadays, if chelsea or city don't do a double, thats seen as a failure.

Back
Top Bottom