El curioso caso de Erik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wonder whether he'll look white n gold or blue n black when Spurs fans watch him through the egg in their face.
<3 him

Based on what?
Maybe we should have signed that kid that used to do tricks at half time...Billy Wingrove wasnt it?

There is a difference between ball skills, and match skills.

In England, "crappy" old school defenders are not scared of fancy haircuts and step overs. They relish playing against that kind of fairy, and are happy to kick him up in the air.
Thats probably why he waltzed through Serie A.

In reference to the article and the masses of stats, its always interesting how percentages are always brought out for some players...Soldado was another one.
But no one needs to wheel out stats for the likes of Hugo, Bentaleb, Kane, Jan or Eriksen.....wonder why that is. Is it because, people can see, with their very own eyes what those players add to our game..?

Last edited:
likes of Hugo, Bentaleb, Kane, Jan or Vertonghen.....wonder why that is. Is it because, people can see, with their very own eyes what those players add to our game..?

You mean Eriksen and Vertonghen don't you... Guessing it definitely wasn't Paulinho!!

It's the way of the world everyone likes the sparkly rabona types, the nice money pissed away on Di Maria and Falcao with no regard, surely Athletico and Soton have proved the bottom has fallen out of the "value" thing now, said it since World Cup with Brazil humiliated and "lesser" teams trying their guts out, there is no justification for 30m at all now with our youth setup unless we are buying true world class

Based on what?
Maybe we should have signed that kid that used to do tricks at half time...Billy Wingrove wasnt it?

In England, "crappy" old school defenders are not scared of fancy haircuts and step overs. They relish playing against that kind of fairy, and are happy to kick him up in the air.

Billy Wingrove could easily play in the premiership, if we picked him up younger who knows tbh. Though that is a bad example because he is much more than a juggler and professional players will tell you that.

Most of the best flair players start off looking like they don't have "match skills", it takes a certain amount of skill and ability to attempt it in game (which is very different to training) hence why over time the ball skills translate into match skills.

Lamela isn't that bitch boy people try to make out, he gets stuck in, makes many tackles and presses very well. He also quite clearly has a nasty side, how he has not been sent off for violent conduct I don't know. He is lightweight but he is also young and has time to improve in that regard.

Based on what? The article covers that tbh. Some examples off the top of my head, the numbers of assists- many well weighted and disguised, the goals including a rabona, a volley in the same game, and a great volley for Argentina this season too, the successful dribbles, the way he lets the ball run across him to open space, the way he can draw 2-3 defenders towards him and for me most importantly his vision, touch and control. He is one of the only players who can control a difficult pass drilled into him whilst running and take it in his stride effortlessly, play 1-2s in crowded areas etc.

He is good at the difficult things, which rely on technical ability. He can improve on the easy things which crap thug players excel at. It will be easier to Lamela to learn how to be rough than it would be for some crap player to learn how to do things Lamela does. This is the reason why attacking players are more expensive than defensive players, attacking is harder.

I believe the club see it that way too from the ground up, hence why our youth teams are full of small technical players in comparison with the huge athletic opposition (who once they play against people with similar athleticism at the top level will be rendered void and end up in the lower leagues). When Lamela develops he will be a force.

Lamela isn't that bitch boy people try to make out, he gets stuck in, makes many tackles and presses very well. He also quite clearly has a nasty side, how he has not been sent off for violent conduct I don't know.

This side of him I like a lot.

But he´s not a DM Im afraid. We have players for that role, and his role is getting neglected because he is failing at it.

Billy Wingrove could easily play in the premiership

Yes, Im sure he turned it down in favour of the circus

I will say this though, if he'd add the odd goal to his game he wouldn't be scrutinized to this level.

I keep seeing lines like this though:
Once he starts scoring....once he learns to pass earlier....once his decision making improves...once he matures

So...once he fixes everything that makes him crap, he´ll be good. Could have stuck with Rasiak on that basis.

I keep seeing lines like this though:
Once he starts scoring....once he learns to pass earlier....once his decision making improves...once he matures

So...once he fixes everything that makes him crap, he´ll be good. Could have stuck with Rasiak on that basis.

Haha, good point. But to me personally, goals (or assists) is the most needed aspect. I do think he does okay otherwise - obviously we want more from him but I just don't see him as one of our "must fix"-situations.

One thing sammyspurs sammyspurs is that we can't blame him for not being the finished article, the guy was a total rabbit in headlights last year piss poor from Baldini with no due diligence, it's going to take a coach of Poch level to get anything out of him, he has built a defensive side to him let's hope he can bring out some more quality from him.

I just thought the main reason in getting lamela was for some creativity, goals & assists.
he rarely provides any of those unfortunately.

I just thought the main reason in getting lamela was for some creativity, goals & assists.
he rarely provides any of those unfortunately.

He's our leading assist maker though so can hardly say that. Goals I'll give you but why do people expect the finished product (yeah, the price tad) when we bought a 21 year old? I'll give him next season as well before I chalk him up as another Paulinho or Soldado (Lamela doesnt belong in the same bracket but you get it).

Oh, I'll just add, if we CAN improve our RW by buying a quality player or sell Lamela for big money - sure we can look at it but it should be far down the" to do list" for the summer. Poch seems to believe in him too so seems unlikely

Based on what?

In reference to the article and the masses of stats, its always interesting how percentages are always brought out for some players...Soldado was another one.
But no one needs to wheel out stats for the likes of Hugo, Bentaleb, Kane, Jan or Vertonghen.....wonder why that is. Is it because, people can see, with their very own eyes what those players add to our game..?
Well, actually you can and should. But the issue in this thread is fan narrative. Some are against him regardless, some are for, and if you step back and look more objectively, he's our best RW option, and he's, while not the best in the league, a good RW player, even though it isn't his natural position.

If he isn't good enough, then you need to answer the question "compared to what?"

is he really? how many premiership assists has he got out of interest?

He has made 1.7 key passes per game in the premier league. So that is 32 chances created, or passes leading to a chance being created in 19 games this season. Can't blame him that only 5 of those 32 have been put away.

By comparison, Christian Eriksen has made 2.4 key passes per game and also only got 5 assists. Andros Townsend however has made 1.1 key passes per game and Chadli 1.3, and as the article points out, Erik Lamela is our most successful tackler up front.

I'm actually starting to wonder if half the people in here actually read the article, which clearly shows that statistically speaking, he is about twice the player Andros Townsend is, with about a fifth of the premier league experience.

I find "the stats don't tell the story" claims to be "that doesn't agree with my opinion, so I must reject it".

Attacking forwards will lose the ball more because of where they play. When you compare him to other players in his position he looks pretty decent.

He's still got a lot to learn, but that's the case for a lot of our players (ie Mason's horrible shots). I think he would be better as a 10, but we don't have anyone else as good at RW, so I think that's where he'll remain.
We all know stats can be manipulated. There was no stat mentioned in the article relating to him losing possession. I'm not sure which part of the article you think I disagree with? I am merely adding comment on a part of his play not mentioned.

yes but how many premiership assists as he actually got?
I quite clearly stated that only 5 of those 32 have been put away. And regardless, you can't blame someone responsible for creating chances for them not being put away. We can assume that the majority of those chances went to either Kane, Dembele, Eriksen or Soldado. Shall we blame them for the 27 missed chances?

5 isn't very impressive is it. sorry I didn't spot u saying the amount. its not bad. but not enough in terms of overall contribution to the team this season. assists and goals overall is not enough. especially as he doesn't bring much else to the party.

5 isn't very impressive is it. sorry I didn't spot u saying the amount. its not bad. but not enough in terms of overall contribution to the team this season. assists and goals overall is not enough. especially as he doesn't bring much else to the party.
I don't see anybody complaining that Christian Eriksen only has 5 assists in the league. Eriksen has also started more games. Surely we shouldn't be singling out a player who might as well be having his debut season. He missed most of last year through injury and is still settling into quite a demanding league. He's not scoring goals because he's not getting the ball when he needs it to score. He was Roma's second top scorer in Serie A the season before last, he knows where the net is.

Back
Top Bottom