El curioso caso de Erik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bloody good read and a very well balanced article. As mentioned, the price tag is not the responsibility of the player. Hoddle was considered a luxury player, but if a player does nothing else but make two killer passes that lead to goals and we win a game 2-1, that's controlling a game - (quote courtesy of Steve Perryman, who knows a bit about footballers)

not suited to this league at all. obviously got natural skill & talent. but not effective enough. & actually doesnt do a lot of the basics. cut our losses & let him go, let him go. always wears gloves like he is frozen

a lot of spurs fans attitude towards him reminds me of gooners attitude towards ozil. because he cost so much & is pretty on the eye they make so many allowances for him. over exaggerate anything positive he does. & down play the many more negatives. or use a stat to make out he had a better game than he did. like a corner that a keeper drops & then say what a good game he had because of that amazing assist. to be fair to lamela he does work & try very hard. something ozil doesnt do. but too many times the best thing u can say about lamela is he ran around a lot. if thats what we want then we may as well get another parker or sign someone like song. unless he vastly improves id get rid of him. its 1 of the strangest signings iv seen in football. such a large unwarrented price tag. theres not like there was a major bidding war going on. barely anyone thought he was worth anywhere near that. how has baldini still got a job! needs to be consequences. i think i will be hated even more now that i dont pretend lamela will be like messi if we give him more time

on a similar theme ramsey is 1 that i think got over-rated. obviously he is a good player but nowhere near is good as people were making out. he had a very good 6months in terms of goal scoring. cant deny it. but during that time he was offering little else & was actually very average & ineffective. basically he would do nothing all game but then pop up with a goal & then its another man of the match display apparently. the goals he popped up with really masked his quiet ineffective displays. & in this short attention span/ in your face society, most people never saw the match but see ramsey scored & say how amazing he is. i did think that this wont last very long from ramsey. he wont keep scoring like this & then he will drop down to his true level of fairly good instead of player of the year contender. which is what has happened this year. he will never score so many as he did in that 6months. now he is back to quite good instead of amazin/world class. i think im talking too much about the gooners

If you beat up statistics,they will tell you anything. He shows signs of being a good player which needs to develop, if he has the ability to adapt . There will be parts of his game, he will need to work on and adopt different ways to cope with situations than he is currently doing. development and adapting is key.

Lamela's price tag reflects modern football and the PL's standing within this crazy world of the sport. Didn't we know we were buying a young prodigy?

For some players, development comes easier than for others, although for some individauls it will never happens and they just wither.
For me this line.."He needs to keep working, most notably on his decision-making" This is key as with most players. Players need to learn, to make the right decision in every situation they find themselves in.

Some players come through the youth system miles ahead of others and once they meet their peers are suddenly not that good. Were they ever that good or just bigger and stronger at a young age. This happens to lots of players, they are given a falseness to their ability?

on a similar theme ramsey is 1 that i think got over-rated. obviously he is a good player but nowhere near is good as people were making out. he had a very good 6months in terms of goal scoring. cant deny it. but during that time he was offering little else & was actually very average & ineffective. basically he would do nothing all game but then pop up with a goal & then its another man of the match display apparently. the goals he popped up with really masked his quiet ineffective displays. & in this short attention span/ in your face society, most people never saw the match but see ramsey scored & say how amazing he is. i did think that this wont last very long from ramsey. he wont keep scoring like this & then he will drop down to his true level of fairly good instead of player of the year contender. which is what has happened this year. he will never score so many as he did in that 6months. now he is back to quite good instead of amazin/world class. i think im talking too much about the gooners
:This happens across the board for me. The PL/Sky elevates players into positions of status to promote the PL .

The stats don't tell the whole story. The (my) main frustration with him is repeatedly getting caught in possession and trying fancy showboat flicks when a simple pass was a better option. I personally have never considered him a replacement for Bale and the price tag doesn't bother me. His performances do and I, like most Spurs fan I suspect want him to do well. I said some time ago on here how much he reminded me of Ronaldo in his first season at Utd. I also said I felt he would be a great player for someone one day and I hoped (and still do) it's us. Trouble is so far he hasn't trained on enough.

I haven't given up on him by any means but he needs to find some consistency. If he can get more assists and a goal or two in our remaining games I would prefer to keep him and see how he does with a strike force that doesn't just consist of Harry Kane.

I think that Lamela is just another one of those players that divide fans - which in its turn polarize every opinion on him. He's either shit or the opposite every game. Most of the time he is just okay though. I feel like he's done enough to be in our starting XI at the moment but that doesn't mean I don't expect more from him.

It's perfectly fine to say Lamela has been okay and at the same time demand more. I will say this though, if he'd add the odd goal to his game he wouldn't be scrutinized to this level. Look at how Eriksen's goals make us forgive some less than stellar stretches of form.

I am another who struggles to see what he brings I swear he had 5 touches against fiorentina with that said he was class against Liverpool and the trend is definitely upwards

Unless we get silly money he is a "hold onto" for next season, he is gaining experience all the time under a great manager

The stats don't tell the whole story. The (my) main frustration with him is repeatedly getting caught in possession and trying fancy showboat flicks when a simple pass was a better option. I personally have never considered him a replacement for Bale and the price tag doesn't bother me. His performances do and I, like most Spurs fan I suspect want him to do well. I said some time ago on here how much he reminded me of Ronaldo in his first season at Utd. I also said I felt he would be a great player for someone one day and I hoped (and still do) it's us. Trouble is so far he hasn't trained on enough.

I haven't given up on him by any means but he needs to find some consistency. If he can get more assists and a goal or two in our remaining games I would prefer to keep him and see how he does with a strike force that doesn't just consist of Harry Kane.

This is word for word what I would have said.

i can see us keeping him another year on the off chance he improves significantly. especially as we would take a big hit on him if we do sell him. but personally id sell him as i dont think he will ever really suit the premiership. he likes a lot of time on the ball which u dont get over here. but hopefully he proves me wrong like kane!

I find "the stats don't tell the story" claims to be "that doesn't agree with my opinion, so I must reject it".

Attacking forwards will lose the ball more because of where they play. When you compare him to other players in his position he looks pretty decent.

He's still got a lot to learn, but that's the case for a lot of our players (ie Mason's horrible shots). I think he would be better as a 10, but we don't have anyone else as good at RW, so I think that's where he'll remain.

a lot of spurs fans attitude towards him reminds me of gooners attitude towards ozil. because he cost so much & is pretty on the eye they make so many allowances for him. over exaggerate anything positive he does. & down play the many more negatives. or use a stat to make out he had a better game than he did. like a corner that a keeper drops & then say what a good game he had because of that amazing assist. to be fair to lamela he does work & try very hard. something ozil doesnt do. but too many times the best thing u can say about lamela is he ran around a lot. if thats what we want then we may as well get another parker or sign someone like song. unless he vastly improves id get rid of him. its 1 of the strangest signings iv seen in football. such a large unwarrented price tag. theres not like there was a major bidding war going on. barely anyone thought he was worth anywhere near that. how has baldini still got a job! needs to be consequences. i think i will be hated even more now that i dont pretend lamela will be like messi if we give him more time

Brilliant post.

Back
Top Bottom