January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
so now we should only post if there is a significant point in posting? that eliminates 99.9% posts on here including yours & the 1 of yours im quoting
I stopped taking this shit seriously about 5 years ago, I know people are here to vent their frustrations but whats wrong with taking the piss now and again?

Reckon Arcy is going to do a blood vessel in his brain before long, best go for a lie down chum before you do yourself a mischief.
Says the one celebrating our impotence in the transfer market while exonerating ENIC once again of all responsiblity

Of course they would, but with question marks over Berahino's attitude, you can't blame the club for not wanting to spend that much on him. You will notice no one else did. Ings really isn't worth 20 million and Burnley wouldn't sell anyway, he will earn them so much more if he keeps them up. Benteke still has an asterix next to him too, he's not the same player he was two years ago and seems to have been constantly injured since he signed the new contract at Villa.

Burnley wanted 10 million or more for Ings apprently, hes a very good player like Kane in many ways but we wouldn't meet it for a guy with only 6 months left on his contract. Outside of the Prem I am sure you could pick up a good player for 20 million or under.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892.../burnley-demand-10m-for-tottenham-target-ings

I stopped taking this shit seriously about 5 years ago, I know people are here to vent their frustrations but whats wrong with taking the piss now and again?
fair enough. whatever floats your boat. just think theres a lot more better things to take pleasure in. but if this is what makes u happy. each to their own

Burnley wanted 10 million or more for Ings apprently, hes a very good player like Kane in many ways but we wouldn't meet it for a guy with only 6 months left on his contract. Outside of the Prem I am sure you could pick up a good player for 20 million or under.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892.../burnley-demand-10m-for-tottenham-target-ings
The January transfer window is fucked up. No way we're paying the January premium for a player whose contract expires in 6 months. 10m for Ings sounds like a reasonable price to pay, but not compared to zero in the summer.

The January transfer window is fucked up. No way we're paying the January premium for a player whose contract expires in 6 months. 10m for Ings sounds like a reasonable price to pay, but not compared to zero in the summer.

Problem is it may be now or never, I hope the story is false but Ings could be going to Liverpool in the summer, if we wanted him we should have paid to make sure we get him, top player IMO and even with just 6 months on his contract left worth 10 mil easy got some real class. Not many players like him for just 10 mil.

I find it hard to believe they would put a price so low on someone who could keep them up and earn them so much more from keeping them in the division. Even if he left on a free in the summer it doesn't make any financial sense. But hey, Stobart is usually pretty reliable with Spurs stuff so who knows.

Only 2 clubs signed a striker this window, Man City with Bony and Leicester with Kramaic (3 if you want to include Shola Ameobi to Palace). That shows there was not a lot available or most teams considered it too risky in January.

The problem from signing from abroad is that it's a high risk strategy, we have bought foreign players scoring goals for fun and sometimes it worked (Berbatov) and others didn't (Soldado/Rebrov). Ings is attractive because he is proven in this league, I might be tempted to let him run out this season, keep Burnley up and then come our way than risking it on a player who is going to take time to adapt to our squad and this league.

Shhh now, no more tears tiny Arcy, everything's going to be ok.
Here use this gif:
p9onmx2.gif

In the vast majority of cases you are never going to get clubs going public about the costs of players but most do tend to name their price in an effort to either ward of detractors or get a decent deal. There are scources that Swansea put 20 mil on Bony, Burnley put 10 mil on Ings, West Brom have many scources such as below that Berahino would be sold at 20 mil a scouce which includes the West Brom manager admitting he was unsure if Berahino would be sold, are you seriously suggesting that every scource is a lie even if they comes from within the club and all agree on the same figure.

On your terms every club would have to name the price of every player and provide all recorded transcripts before we could even debate possible transfers, that's never going to happen but I find it very unlikely that such a large number of scources relating to a good few players would all be wrong. If we really wanted a forward either during the summer or now we could have got one if we were willing to spend and now we have to live with the possible consquences of something happening to Kane which is IMO a mistake.

As for Bony please read my previous post, this window with City chasing off course I did not expect him to come but we had every chance in the summer of making a go long before the rich clubs got involved and we didn't.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-drop-saido-berahino-5025768

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...y-bad-name-following-defeat-of-Hull-City.html
Uh, neither of your links show anything about West Brom slapping a price on Berahino. The first has Pulis acknowledging he might sell the player if he feels Berahino won't perform. The second link is a pretty form-letterish set of quotes where Berahino admits to having ambitions bigger than WBA.

All discussions of price tags are speculative sentences by the paper, with no link to the quoted remarks.

Clubs don't generally discuss possible prices, unless they want to name a ridiculous number to ward off bids, like when OL's chairman demanded Bale-money for Lacazette:

http://www.espnfc.com/story/2241365...th-bale-lyon-president-jean-michel-aulas-says

I found the Bony hype to be unchanged from the summer. We don't know what Bony wanted, but he seemed to want to be at a Champion's League club. We couldn't offer that, so I can't see how he'd want to come here, especially if he could just wait for a bigger club to come later.

I don't object to people discussing transfer rumours from the press. I object to people constructing entire narratives on them and judging the club based on those narratives.

We have needs, there are players out there who might meet them. We can talk about them without getting invested in the hype-machine that is the sporting press, and subsequently melting en mass when reality doesn't match those fictional narratives.

Only 2 clubs signed a striker this window, Man City with Bony and Leicester with Kramaic (3 if you want to include Shola Ameobi to Palace). That shows there was not a lot available or most teams considered it too risky in January.

The problem from signing from abroad is that it's a high risk strategy, we have bought foreign players scoring goals for fun and sometimes it worked (Berbatov) and others didn't (Soldado/Rebrov). Ings is attractive because he is proven in this league, I might be tempted to let him run out this, keep Burnley up and then come our way than risking it on a player who is going to take time to adapt to our squad and this league.

All strikers are a risk but Ings is far less a risk than most, hard working, skillful, clever, good finisher and like Kane both a number 9 and number 10, I have watched him a lot this season and he has impressed in almost every game I have seen him.

Will annoy me if Liverpool get him and have Sturridge, Sterling and Ings as a strike force, that would be unfortunatly top draw.

Imagine being forced to rely on the players who got us to the League Cup final, the knockout stages of the Europa League and only 3 points off 3rd spot...I think I'll go on twitter and post a Slavery picture...
Some may say we've got where we are despite our transfer policy.... not because of it.

Problem is it may be now or never, I hope the story is false but Ings could be going to Liverpool in the summer, if we wanted him we should have paid to make sure we get him, top player IMO and even with just 6 months on his contract left worth 10 mil easy got some real class. Not many players like him for just 10 mil.
He wasn't for sale though. Burnley can't sell him without nearly guaranteeing relegation, which is more costly than getting £10m for him now. It was never on.

True, that might happen, but I think it's worth playing the odds. Liverpool didn't exactly do anything more in the transfer window than we did though, and I think our new-found passion for blooding young players has given us a serious leg up on the competition for exciting young players.

There were quite a few 'fringe' players available as well - even on loan deals, namely Milner, Podolski, Shaquiri, Salah, Jovetic, Destro, Mirallas, etc.

You call everyone who says anything bad about the club a gooner troll and yet now here you are having a meltdown and suggesting we sign Podolski? Speaks for itself really...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom