Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If not already mentioned, theirs a picture going around of Hurrikane as a 7 year old wearing a scum kit, good thing he supports Spurs or I would go ape shit, everyone in the media is now classing him as scum academy product just because he was with them for a pathetic amount of time, just shows how much the media hope we fail.

Everyone knows he played for their under 8s or whatever, so obviously he'd wear the shirt. Very different to a pic of him wearing one in the house or something (not that it matters at that age you wear what you get).
I could not give a shit we've had him since he was what 11?

Lengthy, but a pretty decent read on Kane from ESPN ...

Tactics Board: How Harry Kane has had such an impact for Spurs

BY RICHARD JOLLY

Harry Kane has gone from cause celebre to cult hero, from scoring substitute to certain scorer. Tottenham's top scorer is one of the most improved players of the season. But why is he having such an impact?

Kane the No. 10
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino initially appeared to have reservations about Kane and did not name him in a Premier League starting line-up until November. One of the reasons, perhaps, is that Kane appears to be a second striker, a position that is going out of fashion. He is often compared to Teddy Sheringham, the former Spurs forward, who used to play behind a main forward but he was not, in the modern sense, a real No. 10, who are often midfielders in advanced roles.

One of the games that seemed to change Pochettino's mind was November's 2-1 win against Everton. Both Kane and Roberto Soldado started, with the younger man charged with linking midfield and attack.

What his touch map from that day shows is how Kane followed those instructions and how much work he did in deeper positions. He hardly touched the ball inside the Everton box. However, he did contribute to Soldado's winner, robbing Gareth Barry near the halfway line before Aaron Lennon set the Spaniard up to score. Given the importance Pochettino places on a pressing game, this was a goal that epitomised his style of football: winning the ball high up the field before breaking away.

i

Most of Harry Kane's work against Everton came from deeper positions.

Kane had 60 touches against Everton, only eight behind midfielder Ryan Mason, the Spurs player who was on the ball the most. That level of involvement helped him establish himself in the side.

Kane the No. 9
When moved further forward, with Soldado omitted, Kane has brought some of the same qualities, the same manic energy and an incredible work rate. His touch map from the New Year's Day 5-3 win over Chelsea -- Spurs' fourth game in 12 days -- is remarkable. Whereas some lone strikers only operate within the width of the penalty area, Kane goes from touchline to touchline. Whereas some are target men, a fixed point in attack to aim at, Kane is forever on the move.

Again, that suits Pochettino. His Southampton side had a rather slower striker, in Rickie Lambert, but the veteran had a tendency to drift to the left to free up space in the middle for the advancing Jay Rodriguez. Kane does something similar, allowing either Christian Eriksen or Nacer Chadli to cut infield and, as they are two of the four top-scoring midfielders in the Premier League, it makes sense to play to their strengths. Crucially, too, his presence as a No. 9 allows Pochettino to pick another attacking midfielder and play a genuine 4-2-3-1, with Eriksen, Chadli and one of Andros Townsend, Erik Lamela and Lennon operating behind Kane.

i

Unlike most players when they are playing in a No.9 role, Kane can go touchline to touchline.

Kane the tackler
As mentioned earlier, part of Kane's appeal to Pochettino surely lies in his work rate. While a 'forward's tackle' has become part of the footballing vocabulary, he is a tackling forward. Even when playing as a lone attacker he has shown he can win the ball in deeper positions and then burst into the box. A pitch map of his successful tackles -- and he wins 62 percent of those he attempts -- indicates he can dispossess opponents on either flank and in the midfield, but in keeping with the Pochettino ethos, especially in their half, to put Spurs on the front foot.

i

Kane is one forward who is not shy of tackling to win back possession.

The Kane-Eriksen relationship
One of the criticisms of Spurs over the last 18 months is that ever since they made eight signings in the summer of 2013, they have had plenty of players without really being a team. There have been too few of the kind of relationships around which a successful side is constructed.

Now they seem to have one. It is not a strike partnership, though both have struck regularly, but an alliance of attacker and attacking midfielder. The player who has found Kane with most passes this season is Eriksen. The player who Kane has picked out most often is also Eriksen. There have been three games this season -- against Hull, Swansea and Leicester -- when both have scored. Eriksen's only assist was for Kane's goal at the Liberty Stadium. The Englishman won the free kick the Dane scored at the King Power Stadium.

A pass map of Spurs' 2-1 win at Swansea, showing the positions the players were in when they aimed for Kane, is revealing. Eriksen picked out Kane nine times that day, more than anyone else. The former Ajax player started on the left of midfield but, as a right-footer, he wanders infield. His movements are reflected in the dots nearer the touchline and in the No. 10 area.

i

Kane has become a favourite target for Christian Eriksen.

Second in the list of those who found Kane at Swansea was right back Kyle Walker and this, too, is typical. While Spurs have not had a regular right-back this season, Vlad Chiriches, who occupied the role in November's win against Everton, was similarly quick to look for the striker.

A penalty-box poacher who can strike from distance
A map of Kane's 16 goals for Spurs this season suggests he is two players in one: a penalty-box poacher (which, given the struggles of Soldado and Emmanuel Adebayor, is something they had missed) and a player with the capacity to score from distance.

i

Kane has the ability to strike from up close or from long-range.

A quarter of his goals have come from outside the penalty box. They include his free kick winner against Aston Villa and his first in the 5-3 win over Chelsea. They indicate Kane is an all-rounder. One criticism of him is that he didn't appear to have a particular area of expertise. Now that might be reversed: perhaps there aren't any obvious weaknesses in his game.

His close-range finishes are partly the product of his aerial ability. Perhaps his best goal, however, was his second against Chelsea, with the assured turn and fine finish from 17 yards. It is something of a theme of Spurs' season. Chadli scored from a similar position against Chelsea as well. So did Eriksen against Swansea.

The other common denominator is that all are right-footers coming in to shoot from inside-left channel. A right-sided centre back facing Spurs has to be at the top of his game -- and Chelsea's Gary Cahill had arguably his worst match of the campaign when Kane and Chadli struck while in his channel.

If not already mentioned, theirs a picture going around of Hurrikane as a 7 year old wearing a scum kit, good thing he supports Spurs or I would go ape shit, everyone in the media is now classing him as scum academy product just because he was with them for a pathetic amount of time, just shows how much the media hope we fail.
Was sent this by someone who used to be my friend before today. Can't blame the lad for being put with the scum as a child, can't make your own decisions at that age...
11eKIVV.png

EDIT: Fixed the worst part.

Last edited:
Mr Harry Kane has an in form in FIFA ultimate team for anyone interested, although I suspect his original card will be getting a gold upgrade soon..

Gerrard wore an Everton shirt as a child, really meant a lot in the long run.

Let's be honest, at the age Kane is in that picture the vast majority of Woolwich fans were still shitting their pants. So unless they want to be held accountable for that, they should probably pipe down.

I think this is GOOD. It makes me laugh my tits off. Think it through. Had Woolwich seen what we saw in him then they could have probably kept hold of him. But instead, they rejected him thinking that he wasn't good enough for them. We pick him up, he's a fan of Spurs anyway, and he's turning into a really good player, who could become world class. Imagine having Messi in your youth team and then you let him go thinking he wasnt going to make it. You would feel like a right clown, wouldn't you. That's Woolwich right there.
I am looking forward to Kane scoring against those cunts and rubbing salt in the wound.

Was sent this by someone who used to be my friend before today. Can't blame the lad for being put with the scum as a child, can't make your own decisions at that age...
11eKIVV.png

EDIT: Fixed the worst part.
I would also question what his choices were at such an age...

Clearly, Woolwich were catering for kids that young (after school, I'd imagine?). No surprise given Wenger's ways.

We've only been improving our youth setup in recent years, so I have no clue as to how young our previous academy extended.

WindyCOYS WindyCOYS , could you drop the fucking knowledge, blud, on what Kane's situation would have been in, say, 2001?

I think this is GOOD. It makes me laugh my tits off. Think it through. Had Woolwich seen what we saw in him then they could have probably kept hold of him. But instead, they rejected him thinking that he wasn't good enough for them. We pick him up, he's a fan of Spurs anyway, and he's turning into a really good player, who could become world class. Imagine having Messi in your youth team and then you let him go thinking he wasnt going to make it. You would feel like a right clown, wouldn't you. That's Woolwich right there.
I am looking forward to Kane scoring against those cunts and rubbing salt in the wound.
Absolutely this.

Kane's shit and can't get a game.
> well he's playing, but won't score
> okay, he's scoring, but only against shit teams
> *drowns sorrows* *cry wanks*
> hah, he went to a youth club of ours once, even though he joined you at 11!

Tragic cunts of the highest order. Don't see them dragging up Wilshere's far more extensive West-Ham-supporting past at any point.
They're rattled. We're above them, in no small part to a local, likeable, hero who puts Dat Guy to shame.

As Oscar Wilde once said, the only thing worse than being talked about is to not be talked about at all.

I can only find that he's been with us since 2009. Where are you guys coming up with this age 11 stuff?

That's just the year he joined the academy setup. Listen to his '2014' interview on the official site and he mentions being at the club for ten years and joining as an eleven year old.

He was at Woolwich from 7 to 8, left to join Watford where he was untill he joined Tottenham Hotspur at age 11.

Guess what folks? On a whim, I thought I'd take a look at Harry Kane's "Revision History" on Wikipedia, and sure enough there's been a handful of edits today with people trying to sabotage Kane's page or give credit to the Woolwich youth system.

Adding comedy gold like:
"Prior to his time training with Tottenham Hotspurs. Harry Kane played for the Woolwich Youth, 2002-2007, (Formerly known as Woolwich EDS). Kane has mentioned his thoughts on what his current career opportunities could have been if Woolwich were to have kept him in the Elite Development Squad, considering their squad depth, manager and current champions league fixtures. Kane has been cited to "miss [his] old club" at times."

Yeah, right... And:
"Before he made it professional he was in the Woolwich under 6 team and was there untill 2009 then he signed for Tottenham before making his senior debut for the club on 25 August 2011 in aUEFA Europa League game against Heart of Midlothian."

I find it quaint that people still think that Wikipedia is this immature system that can be easily vandalized and fucked around with. Okay, knock yourselves out folks, it only takes a second to hit "revert" and wipe out wiki-vandalization.

If Harry Kane playing for them at the age of 7 is the one thing they can celebrate about these days, it really goes to show how far we've come the last 10 years and how far they've fallen. No wonder Szny has taken up smoking!

Can't fucking wait for the 7th.

Get the Gooner Cunt out of our club:kaneshh:

Watford. The True Academy of Football.
:lamelashock:
Seriously. The only surprise here is that the team photo of the 8 year old gooners Shows the poor kids fully clothed & auntie Wenger is not in the background with a packet of sweets and a cheeky smile. :paulinholol:

Back
Top Bottom