Where did this all go wrong ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"A Transitional season"

Like 12-13 season ?

Or transitional like the 13-14 period under Sherwood ?

Fucking hell. That adds up to a lot of transitional time.

Does transitional mean moving backwards in a hurry ? Yesterday was depressing ( again ) this morning it feels worse when the headlines scream out how disappointed Neil Fucking Warnock is that his team did not win !

The Entire 90's was transitional, I am not going to sugar coat it. There are only about 5 sets of supporters who are happy in the premier league at the moment, the rest are all work in progress.

New blood,might help push things along
50830.jpg

Not one exciting player in the team right now. Since I've been going to the Lane I've been privileged to see players such as Gascoigne, Lineker, Sheringham, Klinsmann, VdV, Modric, Bale. Even in the shocking patches of the 90s we had Ginola lighting things up. At the moment there is noone. Glimpses, but only glimpses from Eriksen. The players bought in to spark the team, to change the games (Soldardo and Lamela) have failed. The crowd (especially those who only seemed to start paying attention in the Champions League season) have become destructively negative. At home, the most entertaining parts of the season have come from arsons and pitch invasions. Away is a different story - thankfully - although I do worry how much those, identical 'lucky' wins against against Villa and Hull distort the current situation.

I think it's fair to say our expectations should be higher.

We bought Lyon's best player - Lloris
We bought Ajax's two best players - Eriksen and Vertonghen
We bought one of Roma's top 3 players - Lamela
We bought Valencia's best player - Soldado
We bought Tolouse best player - Capoue
etc etc

We as a team are not the sum of our parts. Changes in management have resulted in a mish-mash of players who are strong in certain styles but not necessarily our style... because we don't have a style any more.

We will continue to look vulnerable while we play a high pressing game that literally invites teams to his us on the break. The only sides that have succeeded with that style have done so because they have amongst the best players on the planet with supreme individual skill and a fearsome reputation. Why did we get rid of a manager in AVB just to replace him with a less successful replica, with Timmy sandwiched between?

Mind blowing.

Not one exciting player in the team right now. Since I've been going to the Lane I've been privileged to see players such as Gascoigne, Lineker, Sheringham, Klinsmann, VdV, Modric, Bale. Even in the shocking patches of the 90s we had Ginola lighting things up. At the moment there is noone. Glimpses, but only glimpses from Eriksen. The players bought in to spark the team, to change the games (Soldardo and Lamela) have failed. The crowd (especially those who only seemed to start paying attention in the Champions League season) have become destructively negative. At home, the most entertaining parts of the season have come from arsons and pitch invasions. Away is a different story - thankfully - although I do worry how much those, identical 'lucky' wins against against Villa and Hull distort the current situation.

Agree I was lucky enough as well to see some great players you mentioned although missed out on champions league era due to circumstances against me.
Expectations maybe different due to this as a there is a major thing with champions league due to money.
There was a time when the cup was massive but doesn't seem to be the case.
Along with a massive turn over of managers and poor stadium decisions and poor transfers we have been left behind.
We have been well and truly left behind and hope all involved can finally put it right.
There have been to many transition seasons and I believe we have to stick with the management and give him time otherwise it will just start all over again.
Personally I just want a day out at Wembley.

I think it's fair to say our expectations should be higher.

We bought Lyon's best player - Lloris
We bought Ajax's two best players - Eriksen and Vertonghen
We bought one of Roma's top 3 players - Lamela
We bought Valencia's best player - Soldado
We bought Tolouse best player - Capoue
etc etc

We as a team are not the sum of our parts. Changes in management have resulted in a mish-mash of players who are strong in certain styles but not necessarily our style... because we don't have a style any more.

We will continue to look vulnerable while we play a high pressing game that literally invites teams to his us on the break. The only sides that have succeeded with that style have done so because they have amongst the best players on the planet with supreme individual skill and a fearsome reputation. Why did we get rid of a manager in AVB just to replace him with a less successful replica, with Timmy sandwiched between?

Mind blowing.

Maybe you have highlighted one key aspect, none of the players are proven in the premier league. The quality of this league has improved a great deal, has the French, Italian or Spanish League progressed?

I think part of the problem is, as some people say, we were always a cup side. Cups- not league success- brought us our prestige, our fame, our reputation of glamour and class, our ability to attract top players. This is probably why other teams think we have ideas above our station- because we were generally shit in the league. But in those days cups meant a lot more. The problem now is that there is little place for a 'cup side' in modern football. To the proper fans cups still mean a lot, but their value has undeniably been diluted by the moneymen, the owners, the media really only giving a fuck about staying in the Premier League and CL qualification. We used to rest players during league games, now we rest them during cup games.

Maybe you have highlighted one key aspect, none of the players are proven in the premier league. The quality of this league has improved a great deal, has the French, Italian or Spanish League progressed?

No, but yet other teams buy players from those leagues and seem to be doing OK with them.

We set the standards last century with our style of football and success in the 50s and 60s and although so proud of our history we never capitalised on it especially in PL era.
We got left behind but its not all doom and gloom.
We are spurs and been through a lot worse than todays shambles and with our healthy(mostly)support we (hopefully)can come through it and have our time.
COYS.

Always had good attacking players but we are reknowed for having a soft underbelly. We get bullied in games and we are not nasty enough.
Its no co-incidance but Bale and Gascoigne aside we have always done well when we have had the hard players in our teams.
Mackay was our heartbeat in the 60s and he could play as well as mix it up, Roberts in the 80's and we won trophies, all top sides that win trophies have that nasty mentaility, the keanes and vieras of this world and until Spurs start having the hard players who can take it to the oppostion we wont do anything.

I did think that Sandro could be the one, but his injuries prevented him kicking on which was a shame, and thats what this team is missing, no leaders willing to actually lead and dig deep when we are struggling.

Baldini brought in led me to believe Capello was next (Capello came out and stayed his interest- we went with the cheap option- again). Baldini gets blamed - deservedly, but again levy managed to make him look shittier than he is by not pairing him with someone he knows well. Poch is up against it- this squad is bad. Eriksen can't play with Lamela - and Soldado (who may be likable) finishes slightly better than Rasiak. Levy made this mess. There's no other way to paint it.

I'm treating levy the same way he treated Jol- you did well, but now we need someone to take us higher. Rudely put- fuck off.

The Club's fine. It's the fans that are the problem right now.

What a load of fucking bollocks...half the squad have been playing like they dont give a fuck for over a year. And in that year we've had 3 managers.

You think the fans caused that?

The fans reaction is due to the predictably shit situation we have found ourselves in. Again.

You want to blindly back whats going on and jump about applauding with wild delight when players turn their backs in a challenge, then go ahead.

Back
Top Bottom