a team& squad built for 6th/7th?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I feel the window was a little dissapointing for us, but we strengthened in key areas and brought in a head coach who has the tactical nous to build something successful. I think we are at least a top striker away from getting Top 4, but in the meantime, let's grab another euro spot -6th or better is a good season- and a good run in the EL and let's assess next summer who can really cut it.
In terms of the level of expenditure, for me despite Levy's love for the club, he works for ENIC and they are a business who look to make money.
It makes sense to be an attractive to potential buyers, but the long and short of it is, we will continue to operate like this until the new stadium is built. As mentioned on this thread, we don't offer huge wages or CL football as at least 5 clubs can. Until we can offer one or both we will consistently be a solid top 6 side which is about right.

Haven't seen the game today, followed it on twitter. Sounds like we were short of the ability I convert again? Glad we scored twice though, but conceding so easily is worrying. Hoping Poch can achieve some cohesion as a back four this year.
For now, Imagine the Chelsea game...
Diego Costa :lamelashock::levyeyes:

I'm all in for the cup treble this season, fuck the league.:sandro:

Poch needs atleast this season to get the squad up to his desired standards

Agreed the Southampton players said it took 6 months to fully understand his vision and tactics and already we are much nicer to watch than under avb or Sherwood.

Main issue for me is the lack of a world class striker, without it I don't see a
Top 4 finish so as long as most spurs fans and more importantly levy understand than 6th is not failure we can develop. A cup run would also make us forget about our weaknesses to a degree.

This notion of being a "striker away from top 4" is bollocks. You could buy 10 strikers and they could all turn out shit. Look at Chelsea..its taken them years to replace Drogba and a shit load of money later they finally have one. We don't have the time or money to keep buying strikers every time one of ours is shit.

We spent obscene money on one of the most prolific strikers around and he turned out to be practically useless.

Personally feel the 3 we have at the moment is adequate we just need to keep working on them under Pochetinno.

This notion of being a "striker away from top 4" is bollocks. You could buy 10 strikers and they could all turn out shit. Look at Chelsea..its taken them years to replace Drogba and a shit load of money later they finally have one. We don't have the time or money to keep buying strikers every time one of ours is shit.

We spent obscene money on one of the most prolific strikers around and he turned out to be practically useless.

Personally feel the 3 we have at the moment is adequate we just need to keep working on them under Pochetinno.

Yeah, finding a quality striker is easily the most difficult thing to do. Even the likes of Real Madrid and Bayern played for a long time with Benzema and Mandzukic. Don't get me wrong, they are solid strikers but nowhere near equal to the talent they have playing around them.

The loss didn't annoy me, the manner of it did, not really kane, poch or anyone's fault, could do with another striker though as we said in the transfer window, but the performance was very good, keep the faith lads

What is the point of getting angry?
We have a very average strike force that will occasionally flatter ,
As the problem is rarely addressed by the people who know best,
we are stuck in no mans land .

To overcome my own personal disappointment and limited expectations ,I have taken to herbal baths this season.

Last edited:
You've got to let the players develop into quality players we have one of the youngest squads in the Premier League. Sure, we all miss the days of VDV, Modric and Bale. While Lamela might not have the potential to be as good as Bale he still holds it in him to be very good, he's only 22. Eriksen is all round probably already a better player than VDV. Modric again is probably irreplaceable but the likes of Dembele have skill, power and pace to be very capable players in the centre of the park. Walker (if he ever comes back) has the potential and I'm sure we've all been impressed with Dier.

What you need my man is patience. If we ignore City and Chelsea whose squads are insurmountable at this moment, Lloris is better than any other keeper in the league (Courtois and Cech excluded). Vertonghen on his day is right up there, as is Walker. We're going to need an established first choice pairing at the back, Chriches, Kaboul and Fazio will fight for that position but once it is done then chemistry will grow.

Do we need more/better players? Probably a striker but that is it. Once Pochettino has it that the players are playing for each other we'll be well on the way. And while we want top 4 we have no right to be in the top 4. I personally enjoy the Europa league, we are a Europa league level club, we'd get smashed in the CL. If people don't like who we are then they need to think about their affiliation with the club. What we have in MoPo is our swashbuckling style back which we missed so much, come what may I'll enjoy it. Yesterday I enjoyed the match despite the result, we played with flair and vim (I don't believe Kane has that) which I associate with Spurs.

4th might be too much, but I believe we can have a right crack at 5th.

10 points behind the scum last season . For me...We beat them at home, draw away , beat and draw against a silly team we lose at home or away .... Sorted....4th spot.
We need to get posative and believe its possible. No one expected Liverpuddings almost winning the league. The scum are only better than us because they can turn us over home and away. Once that changes we will get amongst the top 5 again with a serious shout at top 4.
We have been contenders before and will be again. As long as there are no distractions as new stadiums, coaches, selling the club, chairman talk, players , lasagne, dodgy keepers and so on.

Agree. Problem was defending. We scored twice, that should be efficient to win a game.

What is the point of getting angry?
We have a very average strike force that will occasionally flatter ,
As the problem is rarely addressed by the people who know best,
we are stuck in no mans land .

To overcome my own personal disappointment and limited expectations ,I have taken to herbal baths this season.
No mans land is where the likes of Stoke, Newcastle and the spammers are, not shit enough to worry about relegation but not good enough to worry about handling the Europa League either...

No mans land is where the likes of Stoke, Newcastle and the spammers are, not shit enough to worry about relegation but not good enough to worry about handling the Europa League either...

I think for me and l agree I might be a old romantic , that it's all or nothing.
As we have no chance for top 4 , and the Europa league we have less chance of winning
than a domestic trophy and we are pretty crap at that.
So I take your point but for me a Europa place is a realistic high point of the season,
and for 99% of all neutrals .
No mans land for me as we have no chance of silverware than a Newcastle .
Remember we have a pop guns up front against assault rifles.

}

You and I could buy 10 and all of them could be shite, because we are just punters. Baldini and Poch are meant to know what they are doing, so if they bought 10 and they were all shite -- that is, they don't work in the team we have -- then it would be a sacking offence.

You have to realise how far down the pecking order we are, the striker that's perfect for us is probably looking Champions League and £150 grand a week...

The squad isn't good enough for Top 4 but that doesn't mean we can't make it

This is why we seek to hire managers who are capable to have us perform better than the sum of our parts - something the likes of Whinger and SAF have been doing for years

I sincerely hope Levy would be more patient with Dear Poch this time around instead of demanding CL football without being able to provide the necessary tools

I still think we are a couple of big-time players short for the top four, but that's not exactly a suprise, is it?

I agree, it isn't really a surprise. It's been essentially the crux of our problem for the last ten years, bar two seasons. One of which we got fucked on.

I'm wondering if all the selling the club business is the cause of the lack of real investment, this season especially.

Back
Top Bottom