a team& squad built for 6th/7th?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

scott

“Doing things the right way!”
is it just me who thinks this team & squad looks built for 6th or 7th?
I know most unbiased fans don't give us any hope of top 4.
I sadly agree with them.

when you look at the teams who finished above & a few below all investing heavily to improve it makes top 4 even further away than last season.

I think we have had a poor transfer window. letting sandro go & keeping capoue makes sense.
sandro is a better defensive midfielder.
but more importantly we didn't get a better forward. ade is ok but nothing special.

going back further, I think it was strange to let caulker go & then get chichires.

its such a shame we didn't get Schneiderlin either.

I just find it strange the board & manager think this team & squad can get 4th?!!

its still a decent team of course. but when u look at are best 11 its not really a top 4 team.

If we can hang in there until January, & then get schneiderlin & a top forward then we are back in the running!

with the lack of top quality forwards we will miss a lot more chances like today.
& with players like chichires at the back we will carry on conceding a fair amount too.

I seem to remember the consensus in the preseason was that 6th place with better performances was the logical and acceptable spot for us to finish this year.

The teams around us that were significantly better than us last season all spent huge sums this summer barring Everton. We're playing the long game with the stadium and spending cautiously. As much as we'd like to deny it, the teams that spend large are the teams that win. Where we are as a club currently, it isn't a reasonable expectation that we finish in the top four. Sixth is about right.

Sandro's injuries and deteriorating performances means that selecting Capoue over him makes perfect sense.

Capoue is better on the ball and doesn't spend 75% of the season on the treatment table.

I don't think we'll finish top 4 and agree with you that we could really have used another forward of starting quality, but can't quite agree with your other points. Capoue and Sandro may both be holding midfielders but they are different; Stambouli, albeit from what little I've seen so far, actually looks more like someone in the Sandro mould. Schneiderlin would have been nice, if only as someone Poch clearly wanted, but I'm not sure he would've been the gamechanger for us.

I think what Poch really needs to do is to improve the team's collective defence, things like maintaining focus and composure and not overdoing it when on the ball or deciding when to sprint forward in attack. If we look at today's game for example, we might moan about missed chances but still did score 2 goals. Sunderland really didn't have many chances and when you look at their goals, it was poor team defending.

The way to attract top talent is to offer big salary or to offer CL games. Teams above us can offer one or both. Spurs offer neither. We built a good squad and if Poch can get them to gel - maybe we can sneak into top-4. Maybe.

jenny-
yes I agree welbeck would have been handy but he is not a top striker & will never be a great finisher.
i am not too disappointed we didn't get him. but would have rathered he didn't go to Woolwich.
he will be a decent signing for them.

jdk-
well i only joined the forum today & i am pleased most spurs fans on here think 6th is our target.
i think that is a fair target to set.

speakerboxx-
i agree sandros injuries were becoming a big problem. & we did get a decent amount of money for him.
i actually don't mind capoue. he is ok. but i feel sandro is far better defensively.
in my head as soon as capoue gave away that stupid free kick today, i just thought they would score from it.
i would have kept both. but if we had to get rid of 1 then id have kept sandro.
ps. i seem to remember capoue being on the treatment table for very long too!

docomospurs-
i 100% agree about us working on our teams collective defence. i don't think it has been right for years.
a settled back 4 would be great!
does that mean u think vlad helps with our defence?!!

Capoue was a beast today dunno what game you were watching,

i am not saying capoue is a bad player. just think sandro is better defensively.
& be careful when you say what game were you watching.
you clearly missed the stupid needless free kick he gave away for the late equaliser!

I'm really getting tired of the endless whining every time we don't win a game.

& the endless whining about people whinging is so much more attractive.

ps. i am not moaning because we didn't win today. i am moaning because of the poor transfer window we have had yet again.

I would've, of course, preferred Vertonghen back but I'm not so sure Caulker is better than Chiriches. And I'd rather have Chiriches as an option rather than forced into playing our full-backs or defensive midfielders in the centre of defence.

IMO our unwillingness to spend is the reason we've fallen off the pace the last few years. I don't have a problem with that as I thought it was a stadium thing. But then I keep hearing the club won't be putting money into the stadium and that it will be paid off through investment, naming rights, etc.

So I guess I'm a bit confused. Now with potential buyers confirming interest in the club, is it actually more of a case that our lack of transfer spending has more to do with keeping expenditure down to look more attractive to buyers? I'd love to hear an explanation because it does confuse me that the club ideally aren't investing much into the stadium but also the the lack of spending is attributed to the stadium. What am I missing? I'm not too knowledgable on this type of stuff.

I would've, of course, preferred Vertonghen back but I'm not so sure Caulker is better than Chiriches. And I'd rather have Chiriches as an option rather than forced into playing our full-backs or defensive midfielders in the centre of defence.

ok i am new but i think i have sussed out what type of fan u are. a good fan who sees the good in every player! i wish i was more like that!
but i am going to have to pin you down now and give u no room for escape.
which players do u think we would need to improve on to achieve top 4 this season?
or do u think they are good players and we can achieve it with the players we have.
if that's the case then you will be proven right or wrong at the end of the season depending on how we finish.

but i am going to have to pin you down now and give u no room for escape.

What, you mean like this?

6830676945_fe945ecf63.jpg

But seriously, there's no guarantee for top 4 unless you have the financial might and consequential roster depth of Chelsea or Man City. To improve our chances, as I've mentioned above, I would've liked to have seen another striker added to the fold - someone strong and athletic enough to play the lone forward, like Bony or Lukaku. Prior to the summer, I had also wanted to see the defence strengthened and we have brought in Davies, Dier and Fazio; too early to say if they will make the impact needed (together with Poch's tactics) but I can't hold it against the club for buying correctly in these areas. Of course, I'd rather have Vincent Kompany and David Alaba but that ain't about to happen.

Top 4 or not, I'm trying to take things one game at a time and today's result was disappointing because we really, really should have had all 3 points in the bag.

i am not saying capoue is a bad player. just think sandro is better defensively.
& be careful when you say what game were you watching.
you clearly missed the stupid needless free kick he gave away for the late equaliser!
Back when Sandro could actually play a full season without being injured sure, fact of the matter is he's spent most of his time recently on either the injury table or on twitter. As much as I love the guy I'd rather him do his talking on the pitch, Capoue was excellent both in his passing and overall gameplay today, I believe he offers more overall than Sandro did and I see no reason that him and whoever sits next to him, whether it be Stromboli, Bentaleb or Dembele can't forge a solid partnership.

It's as if some people have forgot about the January transfer window. I don't mind the fact that we didn't spend big this summer, I think that Poch is still evaluating the squad.

Back
Top Bottom