"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
I don't find the "yid chanting" offensive, far from it, we adopted it as an act of solidarity. An anti racist stance like that can only be applauded in my book.
I amoung many others didn't let the NF distribute there filth around the lane on match days, opposing fans soon feared using the term at spurs in a derogatory way. Now people are offended by our use of the term? When the context of its use by spurs fans was for good, I'm f*cking staggered by this.
I'm from Irish catholic stock, they too know a thing or two about discrimination, yet to meet an Irish bloke offended by "paddy" or a scots bloke offended by "jock"

Some need to grow up an recognise that our stance over the years has brought us spurs fans together in a unique way, for that I'm proud.

yid army!

Freudlyuchenko said:
Burko said:
To be honest, although it has Bolton connotations, we could always always use the "Whites" of Lilywhites...

White Army, White Army...

No racist undertones there at all.

Unless we became a load of white supremacists all of a sudden
Rather not, had enough of them with that maniac Anders behring-breivik who's currently on trail over here.

Kalyl said:
if we're really going to go back millions of years Smoked, I'll finish it and say we're all african as that's where human life originates from... Which in all honesty, is better than all this racial segregation that the world has become...
Unity is always better than segregation, as I have already said earlier in this thread. That does not mean most Jews do not have an ethnic trait.

But, I fear that some comments in this thread are becoming a case of "well, I'm not racist so bollocks to you if you're Jewish and uncomfortable with it, I'll use the term anyway because we gentiles have "reclaimed it" (not that it was a gentile word to claim in the first place)". Maybe that's an overreaction on my part, but there is a huge amount of excuse making and attempted justification over this issue it seems.

So I guess I should probably bow out before I start getting controversial and making enemies!!!

Smoked Salmon said:
Kalyl said:
if we're really going to go back millions of years Smoked, I'll finish it and say we're all african as that's where human life originates from... Which in all honesty, is better than all this racial segregation that the world has become...
Unity is always better than segregation, as I have already said earlier in this thread. That does not mean most Jews do not have an ethnic trait.

But, I fear that some comments in this thread are becoming a case of "well, I'm not racist so bollocks to you if you're Jewish and uncomfortable with it, I'll use the term anyway because we gentiles have "reclaimed it" (not that it was a gentile word to claim in the first place)". Maybe that's an overreaction on my part, but there is a huge amount of excuse making and attempted justification over this issue it seems.

So I guess I should probably bow out before I start getting controversial and making enemies!!!
what baffels me the most about us two Smoked, is that we argue when we've got the same view in the end :harryfacepalm: I feel like you do, that as long as someone, somewhere is offended by it, we should stop using it instantly. not just because I'm a unity and peace freak, but because football has enough problems to deal with than offending those who don't really follow it

Smoked Salmon said:
Kalyl said:

We aren't going to become enemies because unlike other fans who march under different flags we at Spurs stick together.

Smoked Salmon said:
Kalyl said:

I'm with you and I'm not even Jewish.

Freudlyuchenko said:
Smoked Salmon said:
Kalyl said:

We aren't going to become enemies because unlike other fans who march under different flags we at Spurs stick together.
You want to maybe stop by some of the other forums out there. In some of those places you can pick up enemies just for having a dissenting opinion!

Thankfully this place has thus far shown itself to be well above such nonsense.

Smoked Salmon said:
You want to maybe stop by some of the other forums out there. In some of those places you can pick up enemies just for having a dissenting opinion!

Thankfully this place has thus far shown itself to be well above such nonsense.
this is the only place on the internet that I've seen with any sort of common sence and dignity, which is a delight as I never thought it possible :ledleylick:

Smoked, I haven't looked, as I am using the forum app on my phone, but I'd be stunned if you've been neg repped in this thread. I think people here are very tolerant.

It's still a fledgling forum, but I hope it's the same when it hits 2,000 members.

EDIT: Just went on 'full version' view and saw that Trunk's original post was neg repped. Shame. I've counter-repped it.

Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
Smoked, I haven't looked, as I am using the forum app on my phone, but I'd be stunned if you've been neg repped in this thread. I think people here are very tolerant.

It's still a fledgling forum, but I hope it's the same when it hits 2,000 members.

He hasn't being neg repped, don't worry, :bentley:

Freudlyuchenko said:

Not yet anyway...

:baletroll:

HyNdZee said:
Freudlyuchenko said:

Not yet anyway...

:baletroll:
Quid pro quo me thinks...... :chicco: :chicco: :chicco: :chicco: :chicco: :chicco: :chicco: :chicco:

Freudlyuchenko said:

Trunk was. But I've counter-repped. Ha!

Smoked Salmon said:
Kalyl said:

please don't do that, smoky. u are making a huge amount of sense!

Freudlyuchenko said:

Trunk was. But I've counter-repped. Ha!
I fear the dishonesty here Schoolboy.

Trunk is a beautiful man....and since I decree it, it must be so. :nare:

ZoC said:
Smoked Salmon said:
Kalyl said:

Yeah, but you can only repeat yourself a finite amount of times. Either people agree, or they do not.

I'm not leaving the thread though. A new idea gets posted and I'll be on it quicker then Wenger on a Chicken Shed Theatre ticket.

ZoC said:
Smoked Salmon said:
Kalyl said:

ZoC, you made some great points in the original thread. How about a précis?

Smoked Salmon said:
Ramsingh said:
I know this might seem a weird example..
But Trevor Tanner you know.. the FACKIN NAWTY one..

In a TV program he said he hated being called a yid, and went it came time to name there firm. They named it the Yid Army. Reclaiming the word.
Now I don't know that much about the Tottenham Firm. But I do know that we have reclaimed the word 'Yid'.

Ask 20 people under the age of 18 what the word Yid means. They'll tell you a Spurs fan.
Ask 20 people over the age of 35 what the word Yid means. They'll say a racial slur.

In time it will be more widely accepted.

But thats my opinion.. What do I know?
:gazza:
The latter half of your username contains the word "Singh"-a Sikh surname. Would it be correct to assume you are asian? How would you feel if we called ourselves The p*ki Army?

Im White, Dad is Brown.
My dad got so much stick for being brown growing up (he isn't from Pakistan).
As long as Spurs fans were proud to call ourselves P*kis and there were racial connotations held too the word I'd have no problem.

But I think my Dad would possibly have a problem with it due to getting called a P*ki growing up, with out being at all Pakistani. Leaving negative memory of the word.
But on the other hand, I have Pakistani friends who are proud to call themselves P*kis much in the way Ni**a has been used amongst black people.

There'll never be a right answer for this, because some black people use the N word, it doesn't mean that all black people are ok with it. Likewise, because some Jews are fine with using the Y word, doesn't mean that all Jews are fine with the word.

It's a call to arms but this thread and other discussions have made me question chanting it. However, I know for a fact, on Saturday, someone in the pub will start the chant and I'll be screaming it too. :saha:

Back
Top Bottom