Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't hate him just don't rate him, I believe he's a liability at LB, shipped far to many goals due to his lack of ability and positioning.

It's easy to forget how good Rose looked under AVB at the beginning of last season before his injury. I thought he was one or our better players during that period. While some players flourished under Sherwood's more free and less tactical system, Rose certainly wasn't one of them. He doesn't have the natural footballing IQ to place himself in the right positions unless prompted to do so. I think with Pochettino to instill a strong tactical understanding into the team that Rose could have a bit of a rebirth. He's a strong tackler, plays hard as shit, and is very athletic. He just needs someone to remind him where to be and what to be doing. Hopefully Pochettino can fill that void.

Last edited:
When Walker is caught in possession upfield or a move breaks down he uses every bit of speed and effort to get back and cover, Rose on the other hand, just jogs on back hoping someone else will do the covering, that is a poor attitude. I think the crux of the matter is Rose thinks he's a left winger, not a left back.

When Walker is caught in possession upfield or a move breaks down he uses every bit of speed and effort to get back and cover, Rose on the other hand, just jogs on back hoping someone else will do the covering, that is a poor attitude. I think the crux of the matter is Rose thinks he's a left winger, not a left back.

He always was before (AML) - it's almost like he's been told by the coaches to be a LB/WB, but wants to be a LW regardless

In regards to the LW tosh, watch Southampton last season. Shaw and Clyne/Chambers are often the most advanced players on the pitch besides the striker. The fullbacks in Pochettino's system are very important attacking wise especially because the nominal "wingers" (Lallana & Rodriguez) spend a significant amount of time in the center of the pitch.

Yeah well Bale was "shit" once and "should be shipped off asap".....when did developing young players with obvious ability become outdated..?

I agree, at the start of last season I was saying he was the guy we were missing and as JDK JDK says he showed great promise at the start linking on the left wing, its just so frustrating how last season pegged back so much talent, so many players ended that season a ghost of what they were a year before, heres hoping he and the others can really step up now

In regards to the LW tosh, watch Southampton last season. Shaw and Clyne/Chambers are often the most advanced players on the pitch besides the striker. The fullbacks in Pochettino's system are very important attacking wise especially because the nominal "wingers" (Lallana & Rodriguez) spend a significant amount of time in the center of the pitch.

Plus the fashion now, more blatantly shown in Van Gaals formation but say watching Liverpool, the DM becomes a 3rd centre back almost and full backs immediately get forward with possession

Plus the fashion now, more blatantly shown in Van Gaals formation but say watching Liverpool, the DM becomes a 3rd centre back almost and full backs immediately get forward with possession

Yup, that's how Everton was under Martinez when they did brilliantly last season too.

Don't really understand the Davies purchase if we want super offensive backs though. From what I've read he's a defender.

Exactly and in addition to that you saw during our preseason tour that with our CBs in possession Capoue and Mason would drop into the spots vacated by the fullbacks as Rose, Davies, Walker and Naughton went way up the field. Last season, both Shaw and Clyne were in the top 5 for chances created per game for Southampton.

Yup, that's how Everton was under Martinez when they did brilliantly last season too.

Don't really understand the Davies purchase if we want super offensive backs though. From what I've read he's a defender.

Yeah agree with that, more of a Corluka type, he did like getting forward though what I saw, he has the ability to but you would have thought not to the degree Rose would. With that said Blind in world cup still looks a defender and didnt have to go to by line to show he is attacking

Yeah agree with that, more of a Corluka type, he did like getting forward though what I saw, he has the ability to but you would have thought not to the degree Rose would. With that said Blind in world cup still looks a defender and didnt have to go to by line to show he is attacking

Swansea play so differently than Pochettino's teams do though. While they both dominate possession it is in very different ways. Swansea is so indirect in their style of attack and gets men forward very slowly. Pochettino teams are very direct and throw numbers forward when they see the chance. Davies will be utilized in a much different way than at Swansea so it's hard to judge. He's a skilled player though and young, I think he'll adapt relatively seamlessly.

Wait he's an lb?

Silver lining...silver lining...where are you silver lining???

OH!!!! Got it! We've got one of the best LB subs in the league now!! Fuck yeah!

In all seriousness I can't say I'm really all THAT surprised. I had a strong suspicion he was going to stay and battle it out with Davies. This is good for both players and allows us to have depth at LB. Danny Rose starting is very "meh," but Danny Rose off the bench is actually pretty legit if you think about it. He's super athletic and being able to put him on after 70 or so minutes and with the ability to just smash the shit out of other other sides right will pretty awesome to watch!

I'm sure you think you're making a good point, but when you really think about what you just said its ridiculous.
He's a human being, with a brain and that. He plays where he gets told. The staff and management will look back at all the goals we concede anyway. If they feel he's at fault he gets coached and told.

I know its fashionable to hate on Rose these days but I'm glad. If he could just work on not fouling as much he'd be fine. He's made a few costly mistakes but no more than Vertonghen made last season.

Back
Top Bottom