Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think his hip injury is worse than it appears. He's progressively gotten slower in step, touch, and shielding of the ball since last year. He could use a good rest, but unfortunately he will not get one this summer.

Yep, it has impacted him no doubt. A lot of it is his fault. Last year he played with painkilling injections, and this year he has come back way too early. Sherwood gave him shit for declaring himself fit recently and he looked like an old man when he came on.

I'm fed up with Dembele, and would be happy to see him leave. Very overrated by many a pundit and I'd take Paulinho in the team every time over him. Get another CM in to replace Moussa. Plus maybe Carroll, Pritchard or Bentaleb can do a decent 'squad job' next season. Hopefully Chadli wil improve as a CM as the games go on.

I'm fed up with Dembele, and would be happy to see him leave. Very overrated by many a pundit and I'd take Paulinho in the team every time over him. Get another CM in to replace Moussa. Plus maybe Carroll, Pritchard or Bentaleb can do a decent 'squad job' next season. Hopefully Chadli wil improve as a CM as the games go on.

For his job to date (a DM) we can have no complaints. He is a rock. IMO you are fed up with his role. Make him an AM and you will see a lot more of what he does best. I've said it a few times. He should be beating people in the box, not in his own half.

We need a left back and a striker or two at least, wouldn't mind selling a load of excess midfielder to be hoenst, Dembele included. Wonder how much we will get if we sold Dembele, Siggy, Soldado, Dawson, Lennon, Capoue, Rose and Naughton. Enough to maybe buy a left back, Caulker, Bony and Lakaku.

We need a left back and a striker or two at least, wouldn't mind selling a load of excess midfielder to be hoenst, Dembele included. Wonder how much we will get if we sold Dembele, Siggy, Soldado, Dawson, Lennon, Capoue, Rose and Naughton. Enough to maybe buy a left back, Caulker, Bony and Lakaku.

Most of those players would not pass a medical at the end of the season. We are stuck with most of them.

Dembele is a weird case, he is clearly underperforming, and is just not consistent enough for my liking. He is clearly in that category of players with almost world class attributes but
Not enough determination to reach that level. Players like Balotelli or berbatov.

I mean carrick and barry don't really shout 'great players' but even they provide more to attack (through passing in the case of carrick or bursts through midfield in the case of old man barry) then dembele does sometimes.

The solution is obviously to force him out of his shell and play him as an attacking mid or winger as Sherwood tried (credit to him for that he saw the need for dembele to be further forward). Problem is whether its because he can't or won't shoot from distance he doesn't, that area of the pitch is better suited for eriksen type player who is more mobile.

So now where the hell do you play him or do we just cut our losses now?

For his job to date (a DM) we can have no complaints. He is a rock. IMO you are fed up with his role. Make him an AM and you will see a lot more of what he does best. I've said it a few times. He should be beating people in the box, not in his own half.
Fair comments. I'm probably being unfair to Dembele, but he just gets on my nerves. For someone so highly rated I want soooo much more, but probably I'm expecting too much given, as you say, his role.

Make him an AM and you will see a lot more of what he does best. I've said it a few times. He should be beating people in the box, not in his own half.
... and if he were halfway creative in his passing or at all impressive with his finishing, I should think that would be a good role for him, but he isn't halfway decent at either, so putting him at AM is a fucking terrible idea, unless you want to compound the problems that Spurs experience in the attacking third.

... and if he were halfway creative in his passing or at all impressive with his finishing, I should think that would be a good role for him, but he isn't halfway decent at either, so putting him at AM is a fucking terrible idea, unless you want to compound the problems that Spurs experience in the attacking third.
sadly the truth

Do you reckon he could make it as a striker?

A question, certainly not a suggestion.

Do you have a Chrystal ball or something darling? Last season the problems were Lamela, Townsend, Defoe, Soldado, Lennon and Holtby bouncing off the parked bus.

Ade and Kane showed us what some presense in the final third can get you. And Dembele has the beef to hold it up for the Eriksens, Lamelas and Ade's to express themselves.

It's not all about vision etc. Sometimes you just have to fucking crush a bitch. Spurs fans and managers always make the same mistakes. Overload their starting 11 with frilly fucking wankery when sometimes you need well rounded balance.

Him in the center of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 will end up with a LOT more traction in the final third. And he'll be surrounded by players that can actually finish. It's my opinion. I could be wrong. And up until this point, he's never played in that position to prove me wrong.

Last edited:
Do you have a Chrystal ball or something darling? Last season the problems were Lamela, Townsend, Defoe, Soldado, Lennon and Holtby bouncing off the parked bus.

Ade and Kane showed us what some presense in the final third can get you. And Dembele has the beef to hold it up for the Eriksens, Lamelas and Ade's to express themselves.

It's not all about vision etc. Sometimes you just have to fucking crush a bitch. Spurs fans and managers always make the same mistakes. Overload their starting 11 with frilly fucking wankery when sometimes you need well rounded balance.

Him in the center of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 will end up with a LOT more traction in the final third. And he'll be surrounded by players that can actually finish. It's my opinion. I could be wrong. And up until this point, he's never played in that position to prove me wrong.
Pretty sure he started out as a striker with Fulham. He can't finish well and never made it there. It wasn't until they moved him deep that he started getting some recognition. Idk why everybody wants to move his position. I always liked his ability as a defensive mid. Sure he slows play down at times but his ability to dribble by people gives him room to drop it off to eriksen or another 10. If we can get eriksen and the wingers to link up better than that's all we need. Dembele is solid in the tackle as well so I think he deserves some time deeper again. Remember when he and Sandro were dominating teams together?

The bloke just doesn't have a natural position really. He's like the ultimate utility player. Needs to learn how to pass and move more intelligently and/or shoot with more authority and he'd be a serious asset. As good as his dribbling is he rarely creates the space for himself to pop off a shot which is frustrating as fuck because he's got a rocket in his left foot. I think he'd benefit a lot from a skills coach like Moniz teaching him how to tee himself up better after beating a man or two in tight spaces.

Last edited:
Pretty sure he started out as a striker with Fulham.

Not this one. He was signed from AZ as a midfielder.

Fulham have a different player called Moussa Dembélé who is a striker though, so perhaps that's what you're thinking?

Not this one. He was signed from AZ as a midfielder.

Fulham have a different player called Moussa Dembélé who is a striker though, so perhaps that's what you're thinking?
When our Dembele and Fulhams clone Dembele meets :
78832c30-cc96-11e3-a8f8-b12d8d757f82_5david.jpg

Back
Top Bottom