Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People, people this is all getting out of hand. Come the end of summer we all know if Vert is still here we'll all be licking his arse and if he's gone he'll be the knew Judas. Why fight now?

People, people this is all getting out of hand. Come the end of summer we all know if Vert is still here we'll all be licking his arse and if he's gone he'll be the knew Judas. Why fight now?

Precisely, by definition if he is here next year we will know that he isnt quite the twat we thought he was and loads of us including me would be wrong.

I wouldn't hate him for leaving... I'd hate him if he stays and continues to play and act below his maximum level.

If you replace Rose and have defensive players in the midfield, he has a better chance of playing to his maximum level IMO. I don't think anyone can move forward with the wingplay/wingers/out of position players we have today. It will be another season of Vert, Walker, Kaboul clangers unless we take out the weak links and install a spine.

If you replace Rose and have defensive players in the midfield, he has a better chance of playing to his maximum level IMO. I don't think anyone can move forward with the wingplay/wingers/out of position players we have today. It will be another season of Vert, Walker, Kaboul clangers unless we take out the weak links and install a spine.
Wait, so you want to get away from wing play, but want a defensive spine in the midfield...

Precisely, by definition if he is here next year we will know that he isnt quite the twat we thought he was and loads of us including me would be wrong.

Personally, I don't think of him as a twat or anything.

What I do resent is people refusing to acknowledge that he has character flaws which, for me, have a negative effect on those around him in the team.

He never smiles because that's him (yet apparently he was 'smiling' in the tunnel....)
He doesn't display much emotion
Every fault he makes is everyones fault but his own
He comes out to the press and criticises team tactics and transfer policy

That isn't the kind of person who is going to 'make it' as a top defender, regardless of ability. A good CB is a communicator, puts his neck on the line for the team, and is the last to give up. Ferdinand, Mabbutt, King, (dare I say Campbell, Keown, Adams), Pallister, Carragher, Terry....

Sure as hell wouldn't want him to be captain ever, based on him being the person he appears to be now. I mean, what is even the point in having a gifted player if he doesn't seem to want to play anywhere near that level? It's like using a Lamborghini for a city car.

I want a CB that, unlike Vertonghen, Dawson, Kaboul or Chiriches, is like this:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That is why Glenn Hoddle is correct and our team were rightly criticised, and Jan leaning against the wall speaks volumes, you wouldn't see any other athlete about to run around for 90 mins slouching, don't care what anyone says, especially when we were playing a top four rival!!

I mean, Sherwood has to take the blame for that. The players look lost and have no leader, what else did we expect - they went out there defeated just as they did against City and Chelsea, with Tim publicly telling everyone we were going to be destroyed..

Well that backs the point that the players are massively to blame, and acting completely unprofessionally and unacceptably.

Basically "I dont like the manager, so I dont give a fuck if we lose 6-0 every week"
Or "We don't even have a manager while the clown who's sitting up in the box playing on his mobile can't even be bothered, so why should I'?

BTW - I don't recall you blaming any of the players around the time AVB was sacked in turn placing all the blame on him - so where's the consistencty?

Last edited:
Thought Jan was great last season but he's not reproduced it this season for whatever reason. Maybe a new manager can sort his head out but if not we're better off getting shot as his attitude is stinking the place out.

On a wider note, if players don't want to play for the club I love they can fuck off and the sooner the better !

Personally, I don't think of him as a twat or anything.

What I do resent is people refusing to acknowledge that he has character flaws which, for me, have a negative effect on those around him in the team.

He never smiles because that's him (yet apparently he was 'smiling' in the tunnel....)
He doesn't display much emotion
Every fault he makes is everyones fault but his own
He comes out to the press and criticises team tactics and transfer policy

That isn't the kind of person who is going to 'make it' as a top defender, regardless of ability. A good CB is a communicator, puts his neck on the line for the team, and is the last to give up. Ferdinand, Mabbutt, King, (dare I say Campbell, Keown, Adams), Pallister, Carragher, Terry....

Sure as hell wouldn't want him to be captain ever, based on him being the person he appears to be now. I mean, what is even the point in having a gifted player if he doesn't seem to want to play anywhere near that level? It's like using a Lamborghini for a city car.

I want a CB that, unlike Vertonghen, Dawson, Kaboul or Chiriches, is like this:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That is why Glenn Hoddle is correct and our team were rightly criticised, and Jan leaning against the wall speaks volumes, you wouldn't see any other athlete about to run around for 90 mins slouching, don't care what anyone says, especially when we were playing a top four rival!!

I mean, Sherwood has to take the blame for that. The players look lost and have no leader, what else did we expect - they went out there defeated just as they did against City and Chelsea, with Tim publicly telling everyone we were going to be destroyed..

I'm no professional athlete but I like to hold an exterior of calm as often as possible. Particularly if I'm about to participate in serious sport. Before a sprint I'll pretend to be all relaxed and joke around but really I'm bricking it.

Before a game of football I warm up properly but when it comes to shaking hands and then waiting for the first whistle I often put on a very calm exterior to try and make myself feel better.

It's how some people deal with nerves and quite frankly it works well. I'm never nervous for exams which is a hell of lot more than most people and it doesn't impact my performance at all.

so who will be in our defence for next season.Do you want DAWSON?. Didn't you guys listen to Dr Evil, there will be no overhaul, He isn't buying didly squat. We force vertonghen out the squad, we will be bum raped the entire season with calamity dawson and kaboul.

I'm no professional athlete but I like to hold an exterior of calm as often as possible. Particularly if I'm about to participate in serious sport. Before a sprint I'll pretend to be all relaxed and joke around but really I'm bricking it.

Before a game of football I warm up properly but when it comes to shaking hands and then waiting for the first whistle I often put on a very calm exterior to try and make myself feel better.

It's how some people deal with nerves and quite frankly it works well. I'm never nervous for exams which is a hell of lot more than most people and it doesn't impact my performance at all.

I understand that, but he's surrounded by kids and was supposed to be the captain of Ajax at one point.....

...lead by example?

Wait, so you want to get away from wing play, but want a defensive spine in the midfield...

Why would you question that after the last game?

EG:

-------------------Ade---------------
--Eriksen--Demb---Lamela--
-----Capoue------The Beast-----
Leftbk--Vert--Kaboul--Walk

How is that a "wait?" question?

Alt:

--Eriksen---Pauly--Lamela--
----Churchy-----The Beast----

Well rounded players have to support Eriksen and Lamela. If you watch the highlight reels for Lamela and Eriksen, most of their goals and assists come from these areas. You need a minder in between them who can challenge 50/50's like Dembele, Paulino, Bentaleb etc. Ade is also a competitive player.

Give them a battle all over the pitch.

That middle AM is essential. Because if you put another tiny dancer in there, they will bounce off the parked bus like we have all season in the final third.

Still amazed you posted this. Why are you amazed that I would drop wingplay and have a solid spine? Are you a glutton for punishment?

I see what is happening. Just because it's me, you will disagree with it. Pathetic.

I understand that, but he's surrounded by kids and was supposed to be the captain of Ajax at one point.....

...lead by example?

Well although different in emotion I can't help feel that Vertonghen is very much a captain in the Gallas mould, in good times he is a great leader, like last season under AVB he certainly was leading by example as Bale was scoring up one end Jan was providing the last ditch tackles and assured defending at the other, real leadership.

I remember Gallas being similar in that one week we beat Woolwich, bremen and liverpool he carried us through that when we were going well under Harry, but when things not so hot we have seen him sat down on the pitch for the scum or disappearing down the tunnel for us.

Well although different in emotion I can't help feel that Vertonghen is very much a captain in the Gallas mould, in good times he is a great leader, like last season under AVB he certainly was leading by example as Bale was scoring up one end Jan was providing the last ditch tackles and assured defending at the other, real leadership.

I remember Gallas being similar in that one week we beat Woolwich, bremen and liverpool he carried us through that when we were going well under Harry, but when things not so hot we have seen him sat down on the pitch for the scum or disappearing down the tunnel for us.

But in bad times, he's.....?

Gallas was not and will never be a 'legend' because he was the Adebayor of defenders.

The last thing I'd want is another "I'm good when I can be bothered" guy, the archetype defender is solid, reliable and dependable.

Vertonghen has the capacity to change and to be a legend, but he needs to do that himself - rather than being unhappy about being a team player (complaining about being asked to cover LB etc.) he needs to stand up and set an example

But in bad times, he's.....?

Gallas was not and will never be a 'legend' because he was the Adebayor of defenders.

The last thing I'd want is another "I'm good when I can be bothered" guy, the archetype defender is solid, reliable and dependable.

Vertonghen has the capacity to change and to be a legend, but he needs to do that himself - rather than being unhappy about being a team player (complaining about being asked to cover LB etc.) he needs to stand up and set an example

Precisely you would hope he has the propensity to change.... thats why you would hope if LVG or FDB walked in the door Jan would be able to continue to learn from them, having said that just how many players change their spots? will be interesting.

Precisely you would hope he has the propensity to change.... thats why you would hope if LVG or FDB walked in the door Jan would be able to continue to learn from them, having said that just how many players change their spots? will be interesting.

Yes, we live in hope constantly as Spurs fans....:dawsonmean:

I just hope he isn't the next Adebayor, in a grump 50% of the time, turns up only 30% of the time, and the rest is just transition.

Yet everyone forgives him each time he does turn up, like he's a changed man. Until he feels he's done enough, and goes off the boil again.

Prefer to have players who are dependable

Still amazed you posted this. Why are you amazed that I would drop wingplay and have a solid spine? Are you a glutton for punishment?

I see what is happening. Just because it's me, you will disagree with it. Pathetic.

Wrong, you just don't usually don't get both, and I'm pointing it out. Your two lineups have a solid spine; Capoue, Sandro, and Dembele? Solid. But then you have Eriksen and Lamela out on the wings, so much from getting away from wing play!

I'm not going to argue that our wing-focused attack have worked, nor that it will in the future with our personnel, but if you want to get away from wing play, you need to have a dynamic, creative, and technically sound midfield that is all in sync. We don't have that for the most part at the moment, and your lineups don't either.

Back
Top Bottom