Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone watch him against Hull or Monaco? Against Hull he showed how good he can be. Against Monaco he showed some real flashes of brilliance. I've also seen him a few times in our youth team and he impressed me a lot, was definitely one of our better players.

People saying he has a poor first touch really make me laugh. It's so untrue I can't take it seriously, he has an uncanny ability to take the ball out of the air exactly how he wants it.

Not at all, Townsend never looked like he was going to make it at Spurs until he came back his season, even at QPR last year he was a big fish in a small pond. Every single cameo that Kane has made this season has been more and more encouraging. His touch is fantastic, he's strong, a good finisher and a very intelligent player, not everything is about pace.

Pace is an example, not the basis. Disagree on this, but it seems some of you are set in your mindset, so I'm not sure it's worth further discussion.

The argument of the defeated, "I can't change your mind so I won't try".

Haha I've made my points. I had a test today on the anatomy of the entire peripheral body, and I'm exhausted, so I don't feel like repeating the same thing. I think Kane's rubbish and that he won't make it, regardless of his youth, while Townsend displayed the necessary tools at the necessary milestones.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I sincerely hope mine is eventually proved wrong. But I shan't be goaded back into a repetitive discussion with the most cliche hook ever conceived by man in debate.

Have a good one mate. Once again, take solace in the fact I very much hope I'll soon be proven wrong.

@ cahspur cahspur Don't really see how you can claim Townsend has more of what's required than Kane to make it at top lvl. The only thing I've so far seen of the pair of them that Kane doesn't have compared to Townsend is being completely fearless. On the other hand, Kane has shown that he has a footballing IQ, he passes the ball pretty decently and tries to make things happen for the team as a whole not just himself, and I don't know about you, but for me that's a lot more important than pace. One of the reasons Townsend has not gotten a look in lately is because he's wasted every chance he's gotten for us by being selfish and useless to the team for the most part.

Haha I've made my points. I had a test today on the anatomy of the entire peripheral body, and I'm exhausted, so I don't feel like repeating the same thing. I think Kane's rubbish and that he won't make it, regardless of his youth, while Townsend displayed the necessary tools at the necessary milestones.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I sincerely hope mine is eventually proved wrong. But I shan't be goaded back into a repetitive discussion with the most cliche hook ever conceived by man in debate.

Have a good one mate. Once again, take solace in the fact I very much hope I'll soon be proven wrong.

I would really love to know what you saw in Townsend before his loan to QPR, as far as I can remember and I have a pretty good memory, he showed absolutely nothing that would suggest that he was ever gonna play for Spurs. He played around five games for the first team and aside from a good goal against Carlisle he was largely ineffective.

Kane on the other hand has displayed a number of attributes that will stand him in good stead going forward, once he builds his confidence he will continue to improve. I think the only trait Townsend did display previously was his pace, there was very little else.

Harry Kane is a decent prospect especially considering the type of player he is, it usually takes them longer to mature and get regular opportunities. Not many premiership teams are willing to risk a forward position nowadays with the one man upfront formations popular with many sides especially a young 20yr old loanee. He's got potential but we also have players like Dawkins who's doing well at Derby. We also still have Big John Obika, who doesn't look like he'll make it at Spurs.

Several years ago we had a prolific goal scorer called Lee Bernard, he literally made 3 sub appearances for the 1st team under Jol and was sold to Southend then to Southampton. We all thought Lee was going to be something special only for it to fall apart due to his injury problems and the fact his level was more league 1 than Premiership.

Kane is totally different because his footballing brain is better, his work rate is better, his physical attributes are better but most importantly we've had a bunch of players who have all played with one another for a number of years at youth level. Danny Rose, Naughton, Walker, Townsend, Carol, Mason, Kane, Livermore, Caulker. That's alot of players to be playing in or around the Premiership to be coming from one club and there's alot of hope in these players, especially now Sherwood is in charge and Levy is trying to get money in for the stadium.

Bottom line is that we have good squad premiership/championship level development players but not 1 world class one. Although the likes of Livermore, Townsend, Caulker and Walker have earned England call ups, none have shown they are sure fire regular internationals. Our policy has somewhat changed, where we focused on young English talent ala Lennon, Huddlestone, Rose, Dawson previously, we are now more in keeping with Woolwich or Chavski whereby we have been getting in the best young talent from around the world into our development squad, hence the emergence of players such as Bentalab coming through.

For me, Townsend showed absolutely nothing before his loan spell at QPR that made me believe he was right for us. Townsend has significantly improved in my view, but I still do not think he will ever be one of our better players, consistently. He has proved that he is the quality of our side. Kane i'm more impressed with at his age than I was with Townsend. Saying that, I do not believe his potential is to be one of our better players. I do think that if he stays with us he can be of the quality of our side, but again, not making a significant impact.

Kane has shown he's got a place here this season and at 20 years old nobody can tell how good he can become. Players develop at different rates and pace has fuck all to do with how good you can become, plenty of forwards like Sheringham, Totti, Del Piero, Shearer etc..... weren't the fastest around.

Favourite non-spurs footballer ever. And yeah, Kane could become something good. Just curious to see how good he'll become.

My opinion of him went up with the flagrant offside pelt into the stands the other day when we beat Man-U. Not sure how many would have the balls to pretty much say a huge fuck you to 70-some odd thousand fans in their own stadium. I wonder if seeing Ade time waste getting the chariots ride off the pitch influenced him at all...

Back
Top Bottom