Other Matches Fred 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spot on. Thats where my biggest concern is, that we have had no cup games, the best start we've had since the 60s, beat them 4-0 to put ourselves in control, player for player i'd say we have the edge and yet they are going to finish above us. The way the season has developed we had 1 real goal, which was get 4th and we're not going to achieve it.

Villa have genuinely improved though and are in their 2nd year of Emery tbf, 5th is probably about where we should be in all honesty.

I suppose my point is that we suffered through the injuries and international duty and got ourselves in a great position. It’s when we had everyone fit again and the pressure to secure top 4 kicked in, we crumbled and let a team playing on Thursday nights overtake us.

Reflects poorly on Ange and the players that they’ve wobbled so badly after working so hard to get up there. If we manage to finish 5th then yes it will be an acceptable improvement on the utter shambles of last season. It will still be extremely disappointing. I’m sure Ange would agree.

I wouldn't expect anything less from Ange that he'd be disappointed finishing anything lower than 1st tbh. So 5th will be a disappointment for him from a standings perspective.

At the half way mark, they were 3 points clear of us. And it's been a boxing match ever since really. It's still in our hands but we're going to have to prove we not only want it but prove we deserve it by competing against 3 of the teams above us.

We don't have some divine right to finish above them. They've been in top four form since November 2022 when Emery took over and they've deserved whatever they get this season.

Considering we somehow bagged 26 points from our first 10 games and had no European football or domestic trophy interest to distract us, losing out to Aston fucking Villa is absolutely appalling .
Bottling it doesn't even come close
You were probably one of the ones on here warning us that we were lucky in those first games. How the Ange love was ridiculous. Etc. Etc.

Now you wanna use that period to emphasis how shit we are as a club??

(I really can't be bothered to go back and check what you said. But it's you so I think the odds are good)

Not too worrying.

They finished above us last season, didn't lose a single key player and carried on their form under Emery.

We had a new manager, who had to coach a set of players who'd known one way previously, lost our best ever player and had an injury ravaged season.

The fact 4th is still in our hands is incredible tbh.
And in our head-to-head against them it showed we were far better than them too (1st game at the Lane was we played them off the park despite the result, and this was with Davies & Emmerson at CB!).

Villa are a good side, better than us in all departments.

That we’ve had no cup games and have still struggled to stay ahead of them is a bit worrying. We need to have a really strong end to the season to settle things down because missing out on CL after where we were in January is a real blow.

In some ways this actually feels worse than last season because it’s difficult to explain why we have become so bad. Last year it was obvious. I guess it’s the same explanation as always, our players simply lack heart.

Not having this.

We should be fuming about being out of the title race every season.

There is no excuse for Levy and the board that Villa have a better side than us. They caused this with their neglect and should be reminded of it at every fan forum.

If there isn't significant, title-chasing levels of investment in the summer, there should be ENIC Out protests the day after the TW closes. Probably we will miraculously have a good start so all the fans will be placated and enjoying the last of the summer.

Our players lack quality too

We've got a midtable forward line and that's being kind

Our defence and midfield is nothing special either, unfortunately we are still relying on one player to win us games.

If Son can’t find the net then the rest of the team don’t seem to have any answers. We certainly can’t defend properly and that will always cost you in the end. You have to be able to win 1-0 occasionally.

Villa have genuinely improved though and are in their 2nd year of Emery tbf, 5th is probably about where we should be in all honesty.
Emery has only had one summer there as well but yeah had 6 months last season. Given the way everything has panned out with no Europe and our start i think its a bit average. Start of the season then i would have settled for 5th but think we've blown what should have been very achievable. Its the last 3 away games that have killed us and its the way we've capitualted a bit at the business end thats so dissapointing.

Our defence and midfield is nothing special either, unfortunately we are still relying on one player to win us games.

If Son can’t find the net then the rest of the team don’t seem to have any answers. We certainly can’t defend properly and that will always cost you in the end. You have to be able to win 1-0 occasionally.

You could apply the same for Villa, no?

They're heavily reliant on Watkins' output. Take them away and they are 22 points worse off.

And they've conceded more goals than us.

Back
Top Bottom