Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Look at the Newcastle game as an example. 7 of the starting 11 either weren't here last season or didn't start for us...

Compare that to the team that lost 6-1 to Newcastle last year... Lloris, Davies, Dier, Perisic, Kane... Five players that are no longer here. Skipp and Hojbjerg in midfield...

Signing for the future has started over the last few seasons (Udogie, Sarr as examples) but neither of those two were here or were starting under the previous manager because he didn't care about rebuilding.

The rebuild started in the summer. When we got rid of half the team that blessed Poch, Mourinho, Nuno and Conte.

Naming the likes of Gil or Bentancur isn't proof that we've been in a constant rebuild. They're just signings provided to a manager because they were gettable.

In the summer, the rebuild will continue (because rebuilds aren't completed in one summer) when we'll continue to see the remnants of the previous managers squads leave. The likes of Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, perhaps Richarlison etc.

And Ange starts to build HIS squad.
When we were playing well at the start of this season everyone seemed happy with our players, I even remember posters saying things like ''Harry who?''.

Now that our form has dropped off, it's ''rebuild'' as if we haven't been buying lots of new players to do exaclty that. The thing is if our current team were playing well, we'd be happy to not have a rebuild,

If you change the starting 11 for new players then that's a rebuild even if you're playing shit.

No, we haven't 'fucked up the rebuild'. We've progressed since last season - and that's fucking evident. We may not have progressed fast enough for you but it's clear that we've improved (and that's a fact so it's not up for debate.

Rome was not built in a day.
Agreed. We are a long way off City, but we have progressed. The big test for Ange is next season. I'd be looking for top 3 / strong 4th, plus a deep run in FA/Europa/CL or a Carabao final.

One thing is that while we were shite last season, Conte's implosion was IMO in large part responsible for that. Kane is a massive miss for us this season. Under Conte in 21-22 we were superb for the last 10 games of the season, and we started 22-23 pretty well, even if the football wasn't pretty. So in a sense we weren't as fundamentally bad as the second half of last season might have you believe - the toxic culture around Conte in that era dragged us lower than the squad was capable of.

And if we're shit next season do we say ''ah but we're in a rebuild'',

We assess where we are at the end of next season against where we are now, what kind of squad we then have, league finish, performances etc.

Won’t be hard to see if we’re moving in the right direction. If we’re still progressing then great.

If not, then we need to look at whether it’s the manager, players or lack of support from ‘above’.

No. If we don't progress next season vs this season, we should sack the manager. Two years is a decent amount of time to progress. Not expecting the title or CL ffs, but we should see material progress in two years.
The problem that lots of people seem to ignore is that other teams can improve too, so we might improve next season but be no further up the league etc.

I also take the SAF and Klopp comparisons with a pinch of salt. Both of those managers had better credentials than Ange did arriving in Div 1/ PL. We can't just assume that if year two goes tits-up, it's ok, because SAF struggled in year two also. Ange deserves two years to deliver a team that has progressed, and is clearly heading in the right direction at the end of those two years.

We assess where we are at the end of next season against where we are now, what kind of squad we then have, league finish, performances etc.

Won’t be hard to see if we’re moving in the right direction. If we’re still progressing then great.

If not, then we need to look at whether it’s the manager, players or lack of support from ‘above’.
Can you agree that if we sell our starting 11 and buy 11 new players we've had a rebuild even if we haven't improved?

I'd argue by then, it is sufficiently Ange's team, that he carries a lot of the can for player under-performance. And the Levy factor is in Levy's hands, so we can look there all we want in vain.

I'd argue by then, it is sufficiently Ange's team, that he carries a lot of the can for player under-performance. And the Levy factor is in Levy's hands, so we can look there all we want in vain.
I'd argue it depends what happens. I'm not mystic meg so it's impossible to say.

:tanguythumb:
That reads like the transcript of Tanguy's interview for a contract extension !

Talk about fifth being an improvement is highly disingenuous. We were fourth when Conte was sacked, and he was sacked more for being a moaner more than position. We finished where we did in large part because Stellini and Mason were crap options.

Conte's first season - which had the good luck of no summer window and a Nuno start - led to fourth place in the table. We should be comparing this season to now, not last season. This was a team with Davies, Dier and Emerson in the backline.

Ange has lost Kane and gained Maddison, Johnson, Vicario, VDV, Udogie, a full season of Porro, Dragusin etc.

And again - I am still very much Ange in and of the opinion he has done an objectively decent job and should be given time. But people are bigging up what he's done this season. I expected us to finish lower but I didn't expect us to make so many successful signings after Kane.

When we were playing well at the start of this season everyone seemed happy with our players, I even remember posters saying things like ''Harry who?''.

Now that our form has dropped off, it's ''rebuild'' as if we haven't been buying lots of new players to do exaclty that. The thing is if our current team were playing well, we'd be happy to not have a rebuild,

If you change the starting 11 for new players then that's a rebuild even if you're playing shit.

The word rebuild has been used all season.

Even when we were winning there were complaints about our lack of centre back depth. Richarlison not being good enough as our striker. No creativity outside of Maddison. Complaints about spending big money on Johnson, the lot.

We could always split our season in half and see how we've fared in terms of our "form" though.

32 games played this season.

First 16 games:
30 points
33 goals scored
1.76 PPG

Last 16 games:
30 points
32 goals scored
1.76 PPG

Oh.

Seems strange that almost everyone agrees that the EPL is a massive step up from the SPL, yet there are some not willing to give the manager time to adjust to that.

Ange came in and had a pretty much imediate impact, it was always going to be a big ask to maintain that, so it's proven to be a bit of a false dawn.

However I still think there has been a sizable improvement under Ange and that will continue. IF he's given support and time.
It's not sizeable. It's a slight improvement. The cup performances were a disgrace and we've had numerous poor performances and still plenty of embarrassing performances such as Newcastle,Fulham,Brighton away. Some very poor home ones too. I know these owners if he's not got this team firing by half way through next season his job will be on the line and I won't be surprised if he's sacked. What he really needs to do is be flexible in his tactics because I guarantee he will not get everything he needs from these owners. So sometimes he needs to try something like dropping the inverted full backs and telling maddison to stick between the lines instead of dropping so deep. He also needs to start dropping underperforming players like bissouma. He needs to help himself in this league it's not Japan or Scotland anymore. Teams and coaches are savvy at this level.

Talk about fifth being an improvement is highly disingenuous. We were fourth when Conte was sacked, and he was sacked more for being a moaner more than position. We finished where we did in large part because Stellini and Mason were crap options.

Conte's first season - which had the good luck of no summer window and a Nuno start - led to fourth place in the table. We should be comparing this season to now, not last season. This was a team with Davies, Dier and Emerson in the backline.

Ange has lost Kane and gained Maddison, Johnson, Vicario, VDV, Udogie, a full season of Porro, Dragusin etc.

And again - I am still very much Ange in and of the opinion he has done an objectively decent job and should be given time. But people are bigging up what he's done this season. I expected us to finish lower but I didn't expect us to make so many successful signings after Kane.
Fair points. I think this season you've seen in phases what could be a really good team. And I think people (self included) are holding on to that. In that respect it is different to Conte's Tottenham in 22-23

Back
Top Bottom