Newcastle United vs Tottenham Hotspur. Sat 13th April. 12:30pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And that’s what’s sticks in the craw when we go down with a limp insipid performance like that.
You mentioned about these players buckling under pressure which they are,but we can go back years under previous managers failing us in cup semi finals or top 4.

Unfortunately its been too commonplace these performances,other teams wanting it more and then hearing our players rolling out the same bollocks about we ‘have to be better’ after the match blah blah.

So how do we break this cycle? We’re going round in circles every season.
Mickey has going to have no hammys left at end of year the amount of covering he has to do.
Both wing backs too far up park to cover any quick breaks to an aggresive and focussed toon forward line.
Isak seem to find so much space between Romero and VdV as not man marked,
And whos idea was it for Johnson to pick up Burns at corners ?Surely either Romero or VdVs job.
Real school boy stuff and dont see it being fixed anytime soon.
Ange needs to have good hard look with coaching staff to remedy what most people can see is that we are far too open and predictable to play against .

man every body know s what u did in your past life
we all rember seeing u 3000 years ago stealing that ice cream from that little girl and while she was crying you kicked her dog u kick her dog!!!!!!!!!!!
that was the day we all knew dammm we gonna be cursed
#wewillnever4get

200w.gif

Mickey has going to have no hammys left at end of year the amount of covering he has to do.
Both wing backs too far up park to cover any quick breaks to an aggresive and focussed toon forward line.
Isak seem to find so much space between Romero and VdV as not man marked,
And whos idea was it for Johnson to pick up Burns at corners ?Surely either Romero or VdVs job.
Real school boy stuff and dont see it being fixed anytime soon.
Ange needs to have good hard look with coaching staff to remedy what most people can see is that we are far too open and predictable to play against .
Looks like we do zonal marking which is asking for trouble,doesn’t take teams long to work that out.Like you said it’s not rocket science stick Micky or Romero on players like burn it really is basic stuff and it’s incredibly frustrating.
I don’t think it helps either the defence doesn’t have much protection from the midfield,that’s why we really need a proper defensive mid this summer.

Look, it's not the defeat I'm upset about... Those of us of a certain vintage (shall we say) have seen hundreds, if not thousands of games between us... With many defeats amongst them...

But for the most part, the losses this season haven't been magnificent failures, or last minute thrillers, with "an echo of glory, even in defeat" about them...
...no, they've been abject, predictible capitulations, which you could see coming a mile off...

It's the inevitably of our collapses that is worrying...

The fact we've had to come from behind in SO many games that we've won, simply tells you that UNLESS were capable of doing that in every single game, (which we're clearly not) then we're simply gonna lose an alarming amount of games in exactly the same fashion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for 'sticking to principles' when they work... But sticking to principles that are garnering virtually identical defeats, and clueless, half hearted performances is worrying...

It's the MANNER of defeats that annoys fans...
Glorious failure is one thing, I'm not expecting to win every week... But looking like they simply don't give enough of a shit to even try is what fans hate to see from their multimillion pound 'heroes'...

Let's face it, effort alone isn't gonna win games, you need talent and ability, which many if our players clearly have... or else you may as well simply name 11 Spurs fans to play each week, and we'd bust a gut for the club... We'd be shit, but at least we'd CARE!

Today was Fulham and Brighton all over again, just 400 miles further North...

Look, it's not the defeat I'm upset about... Those of us of a certain vintage (shall we say) have seen hundreds, if not thousands of games between us... With many defeats amongst them...

But for the most part, the losses this season haven't been magnificent failures, or last minute thrillers, with "an echo of glory, even in defeat" about them...
...no, they've been abject, predictible capitulations, which you could see coming a mile off...

The fact we've had to come from behind in SO many games that we've won, simply tells you that UNLESS were capable of doing that in every single game, (which we're clearly not) then we're simply gonna lose an alarming amount of games in exactly the same fashion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for 'sticking to principles' when they work... But sticking to principles that are garnering virtually identical defeats, and clueless, half hearted performances is worrying...

Glorious failure is one thing, I'm not expecting to win every week... But looking like they simply don't give enough of a shit to even try is what fans hate to see from their multimillion pound 'heroes'...

Let's face it, effort alone isn't gonna win games, you need talent and ability, which many if our players clearly have... or else you may as well simply name 11 Spurs fans to play each week, and we'd bust a gut for the club... We'd be shit, but at least we'd CARE!

Brilliantly put, me old chap

So glad that in the end I opted against going. Would've had to get up very early to get a flight, which would've cost me a fortune, plus expenses in Geordieland...all that to witness our worst performance of the season and a total lack of guts from the lads. Thanks but no thanks.

I'm not even sure I'm gonna bother to make the remaining games, even at home. Why should I rearrange my work schedule around them matches and spend big mullah on traveling (I'm working abroad most of the time these days) when the coaching & playing staff don't give it their all. Fuck that.
Agreed.
As poor as we were against Fulham, this was even more disheartening. Second to everything. Didn’t seem to win any important ball. Miserable defending, even worse up front.
Comparing Richie/ Johnson to Gordon/ Isak shows how little we have got for similar combined fees.

Don’t have any faith in our midfield against decent opposition — feels like we need to rebuild the rebuild. One step forward and two back.

Of course he was.

But because his football was atrocious, and because Levy was clever enough to appoint a sweet-talking Ozzie after him (knowing Big A wasn't even first choice btw), the truth got buried.
He was an extremely cheap option I would imagine...

He was an extremely cheap option I would imagine...
Cheaper than Jose & Conte...or even Poch...for sure.

Likely also cheaper than Slot, who was the main target. We got told stories about Slot, but maybe he just didn't wanna be somewhere like Tottenham, regardless of the cheque.

Agreed.
As poor as we were against Fulham, this was even more disheartening. Second to everything. Didn’t seem to win any important ball. Miserable defending, even worse up front.
Comparing Richie/ Johnson to Gordon/ Isak shows how little we have got for similar combined fees.

Don’t have any faith in our midfield against decent opposition — feels like we need to rebuild the rebuild. One step forward and two back.

Isak was more expensive than our record signing

Pains me to say it but he’s better than any forward we will sign this summer

Whatever the reason/s, Micky was absolutely atrocious today. But if there's one player that's got a few creds in the bank, that's the big kid. And I do trust him to put it right the remaining games.

I could name quite a few who are in our debt big time...and whom I don't expect any improvement from. They'll just do a Danny Rose..."You're being mean Mr Coach/Fan, so I'm just gonna go see Daniel".
He's got loads of cred in the bank I completely agree and I'm not going after him, he's done exceptionally well. But today showed up some weaknesses that he needs to work on. Reading players, understanding which way to show them (weaker foot, away from goal) staying goalside and anticipating movement as the play unfolds.

Hopefully he's mulling this all over tonight.

As positive as I have been, generally, about the direction of the team this season, I have to acknowledge that we were useless today. A worrying performance. Tough games ahead. I'm a little drunk and it will take me longer than usual to rekindle my enthusiasm. Shit.

100% valid to question Ange tactics today, but let’s not pretend that it’s the sole reason for this display.

That entire starting 11 just didn’t turn up for it
How many times we heard! Assume Sonny will give the usual post match bollocks and we will exactly the same v goons. People keep going on about Werner and Johnson but they disappear against any half decent side. Luton and forest doesn’t cut the mustard.

Certainly looks as if, something is wrong somewhere behind the scenes.
Performance levels for months, have been poor, and in many of the games even at home, the team is having to do it all second half.
It looks like the same old pattern, new manager comes in, team play well for a while, then it all goes to shit and manager leaves.
The players are all gutless wankers and have been for ages, they cannot do pressure play environments, they just cave and crumble.
The football we play is boring, keeping the ball for the sake of it, with no end product it isn't my bag.
Don't know how this ends up, probably with Ange on the dole queue if history is anything to go by.

We are not ready for Champions League. Ange is right about not focusing on where we end but the process to improve.

Need more team identity, commitment and a striker will help.

Still beginning of a project, CL may put progress backwards since players will think we’ve succeeded and get knocked out at group.
Yes but ffs at least try to show some improvement and fight. We see do g shite performances week in week out. We struggle to beat relegation fodder, we have not dominated a game for donkeys. Spam hot 3 v toon and should have won. It’s not about being not good enough for CL. What is the point of being negative and putting yourself down. The challenge to is get there and improve. Not throw in the towel. Ange always says we are not far off the top when asked about going for 4th. Then show some ambition to get 4th at least.

Back
Top Bottom