Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s because of our style, not because of the front 3.

I think you are selling our players a bit short their and not giving credit where its due. We lost our club captain, and the best goal scorer in the EPL in the summer - and we haven't missed his goals at all.

Our style of play leads to us creating more chances, but you still need good strikers to score them - And Son has the best XG conversion rate in the EPL.

Richy has been plagued by some niggling injuries. But when he did get a run of games, he was scoring pretty much every game.

Gil / Soloman / Werner
Son / Richy
Kulu / Johnson

It's clear to see we can get better. Soloman looked bright before his injury. Werner has been a great addition and suits the system.

I expect we will bring in a left sided attacker in the summer to replace Gil. And if Werner can be had for a very low fee, it's a no brainer to keep him.

Son's not getting any younger; and Richy can't seem to shake those injuries. Veliz isn't ready yet - so we could certainly do something there.

I think you are selling our players a bit short their and not giving credit where its due. We lost our club captain, and the best goal scorer in the EPL in the summer - and we haven't missed his goals at all.

Our style of play leads to us creating more chances, but you still need good strikers to score them - And Son has the best XG conversion rate in the EPL.

Richy has been plagued by some niggling injuries. But when he did get a run of games, he was scoring pretty much every game.

Gil / Soloman / Werner
Son / Richy
Kulu / Johnson

It's clear to see we can get better. Soloman looked bright before his injury. Werner has been a great addition and suits the system.

I expect we will bring in a left sided attacker in the summer to replace Gil. And if Werner can be had for a very low fee, it's a no brainer to keep him.

Son's not getting any younger; and Richy can't seem to shake those injuries. Veliz isn't ready yet - so we could certainly do something there.

Son outperforms his xg every season (bar last)

These are the players I - for various reasons - wouldn't mind selling/leaving. I know it's hard to sell this many players but it's still doable.

Alfie Whiteman
Brandon Austin (Contract ends 2024)

Ryan Sessegnon
Sergio Reguilon
Joe Rodon
Japhet Tanganga
Djed Spence

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg
Gio Lo Celso
Tungay Ndombele

Bryan Gil

MAYBES

Emerson Royal
Manor Solomon
Yaya Santiago
Troy Parrott

I hope I am wrong but even if Spurs do get CL footy next season I have strong doubts Califiori will join Spurs to be a 3rd of 4th choice CB (and 2nd or 3rd choice LB)

Why would he consider himself 3rd or 4th choice?

He’d be coming to win a starting spot, exactly like Dragusin.

Anyway, the way we play, suspensions and injuries would get him plenty of chances if we are in Europe

Why would he consider himself 3rd or 4th choice?

He’d be coming to win a starting spot, exactly like Dragusin.

Anyway, the way we play, suspensions and injuries would get him plenty of chances if we are in Europe
Simply because Spurs' got Romero & van de Ven for the 1st & 2nd spots. Yes, it's not set in stone but when both are fit they will start (unless their performances drops).
I know van de Ven have injury issues but I still doubt Califiori will join to be his and Udogie's understudy (but I hope I am be wrong).

Simply because Spurs' got Romero & van de Ven for the 1st & 2nd spots. Yes, it's not set in stone but when both are fit they will start (unless their performances drops).
I know van de Ven have injury issues but I still doubt Califiori will join to be his and Udogie's understudy (but I hope I am be wrong).

I get where you are coming from but it's fans that think that way, maybe some older players that have lost their drive and understand their role more.

This is an ambitious young kid, he will rate his chances of taking any defender's sport in the world and if he didn't, I don't want him at Spurs.

Am I the only one coming around on Toney?

Think he’s a bit of a bell but watching him play, there’s no doubting his talent both hold up and goal scoring..

Am I the only one coming around on Toney?

Think he’s a bit of a bell but watching him play, there’s no doubting his talent both hold up and goal scoring..
No you're not.

His comments on Brentford, and touting himself out, doesn't appear to have had an impact on his team mates and their attitude towards him, so I'm not convinced he's the ' total bellend' that he's made out to be.

Put it this way, I wouldn't be disappointed if we did get him, as it would mean that AP has liked what he's seen.

No you're not.

His comments on Brentford, and touting himself out, doesn't appear to have had an impact on his team mates and their attitude towards him, so I'm not convinced he's the ' total bellend' that he's made out to be.

Put it this way, I wouldn't be disappointed if we did get him, as it would mean that AP has liked what he's seen.
I think the main concern is his age.

Possibly, though 28 has always been considered as "prime" for a Footballer. His age only really becomes a concern when we're looking at selling on value.

I think we're beyond that now, or should be at any rate. The simple question is does he improve us? I think he will.

It all comes down to whether the return in the pitch is worth what we'd pay in transfer fee and wages, assuming he gets through the AP interview. I doubt he'll go for the purported £80-100M touted around, but for between £60-70M? That's when you seriously consider a player like him, as in will he play a big part in our title and domestic trophy challenges? Will he be a difference maker in our European campaigns?

If the answer is yes, then you have to start thinking that £60-70M is a worthwhile investment. Purely from a commercial point of view, if adding him propels us closer to the title, then our revenue & profits increase, much the same as with progression in the cups and Europe. One successful season alone could repay that outlay.

If we got 4 good seasons out of him, who cares if we don't sell him on for a decent fee, we'd have profited from those 4 years already.

I've been impressed with Toney, I think his all round game is as good as any striker in the Prem, and better than the majority. I feel it would translate well to our team, so if we were to pay similar money for him as we did for Richarlison, I'd be happy indeed.

I think the main concern is it's not a position that should be top of the list to upgrade.

Toney is a great footballer. Yet we have a better goalscorer playing for us up top. And we need two wide players, a new central midfielder and depth for our full backs over a player in Toneys position.

Sure, if we sell Richarlison for a good fee, go for it. But I can't see Son being dropped for Toney. Nor can I see us willingly putting Son out on the left next season (because I think we'll buy a LW)

I get where you are coming from but it's fans that think that way, maybe some older players that have lost their drive and understand their role more.

This is an ambitious young kid, he will rate his chances of taking any defender's sport in the world and if he didn't, I don't want him at Spurs.
Califiori is LCB, LB, DCM.

All three positions have needed cover this season. Bissouma might get usurped, if not the Bissouma of games 1-8 odd.

Can see a lot of logic in getting him in, if reports of high calibre are correct.

Back
Top Bottom