Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why do you think we need an x factor player in that position?

To make it clear I’m saying we need world class forwards that can win us games on their own or force teams to adjust their defense around stopping them and leave space elsewhere.

In Ange’s system, those players aren’t central strikers because the #9 is a selfless role that’s mostly making runs and not touching the ball.

LWF or RWF we need world class players if we want to win the biggest titles in football.

Right?

12 goals and 18 assists in 72 PL matches is woeful for a striker. You can't say he improved our general play, we would play it nice along the ground for the first 15 mins of games and if that wasn't working we were just pinging it to the gangly bastard up front. We massively improved when Adebayor replaced Crouch, and he wasn't even that good for us, but I remember looking at Ade like he was prime Drogba when he came in and relieved us from the misery of watching that lanky bastard fail to successfully challenge for a single header without turning over possession or giving up a foul. I think there's a lot of revisionist history with Crouch because he's a nice bloke and he has an affinity for Spurs, and he scored *that* goal against City that got us into the CL, but he was absolute dogshit. I think in the last 20 years or so we have only had 2 or 3 strikers worse than him for us, probably Bent, Soldado(if you even bother to include him) and Rebrov. I thought we always looked miles better with Pavlyuchenko on the pitch when Crouch was out the team because the team had to play through midfield with no human skyscraper to aim for with a long ball. Not to mention Pav was a far better natural finisher, just didn't quite have the reading of the game to pull off the languid style of play he had, he was like a budget Berbatov tbh.

He played 5707 minutes in a Spurs shirt. Equivalent to about 64 games...

He had a hand in 45 goals (24 goals; 21 assists)

So roughly a goal or assist every 1.4 games...

That's really not that bad.

Adebayor in his loan season for us was fantastic though. Signing him permanently was the mistake.

Leao is the best example of what we need without saying HE is what we need.

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

He played 5707 minutes in a Spurs shirt. Equivalent to about 64 games...

He had a hand in 45 goals (24 goals; 21 assists)

So roughly a goal or assist every 1.4 games...

That's really not that bad.

Adebayor in his loan season for us was fantastic though. Signing him permanently was the mistake.
If stats are all that matter
Pav had 42 goals and 10 assists in 6225 mins for a goal involvement every 1.33 games. Roman Pavlyuchenko is pretty widely accepted as a flop and had better numbers than Crouch. Darren Bent's figure works out at an involvement every 1.54 games, so if this metric is all that matters Crouchy sits somewhere under Roman Pavlyuchenko and above Darren Bent on the "shit strikers" scale.

VDV will have liked playing with him because teams marked up on him and gave VDV space to be the main man in our attack, that doesn't mean having Crouch in the side made us a better team, it means the team suited VDV more with Crouch in it. We had a very good team behind Crouch; Modric, Bale (more in the 2nd season but also towards the end of the 1st), VDV, Lennon when he was good, our first XI was better than Liverpool's when Suarez got there and he absolutely revolutionised them. I think we could have been in the top 4 a lot more comfortably and potentially even flirting with the title during Redknapp's reign if we hadn't pissed away so much money signing back Keane and Defoe in his first January then bringing Crouch in the following summer. A combined £39m or so and none of them really performed the job we needed of them at the time. I often think about what might have been if it had been us actually signing an Aguero or Suarez with that team behind them.
hindsight : in the end we thought soldado was the answer which was about equal to aguero
aguero had also alot injure problems in la liga i believe which was a gamble which worked out 4 city
but its all in the past .
so looking 4 the future which is harder
which stirker do u fancy 4 us to sign
cuz i havent got a clue which striker we will sign?

Pav had 42 goals and 10 assists in 6225 mins for a goal involvement every 1.33 games. Roman Pavlyuchenko is pretty widely accepted as a flop and had better numbers than Crouch. Darren Bent's figure works out at an involvement every 1.54 games, so if this metric is all that matters Crouchy sits somewhere under Roman Pavlyuchenko and above Darren Bent on the "shit strikers" scale.

No one was saying they were world class mate 😂

VDV will have liked playing with him because teams marked up on him and gave VDV space to be the main man in our attack, that doesn't mean having Crouch in the side made us a better team, it means the team suited VDV more with Crouch in it. We had a very good team behind Crouch; Modric, Bale (more in the 2nd season but also towards the end of the 1st), VDV, Lennon when he was good, our first XI was better than Liverpool's when Suarez got there and he absolutely revolutionised them. I think we could have been in the top 4 a lot more comfortably and potentially even flirting with the title during Redknapp's reign if we hadn't pissed away so much money signing back Keane and Defoe in his first January then bringing Crouch in the following summer. A combined £39m or so and none of them really performed the job we needed of them at the time. I often think about what might have been if it had been us actually signing an Aguero or Suarez with that team behind them.

I'd say for 10m euro (about 8m quid at the time) Crouch delivered on his fee.... I won't pretend it was pretty; but he pretty much did what he was bought to do. Despite your initial post; his numbers were decent and no, he wasn't worthy of such scathing description.

ALL COMPS:
Apps: 93 (59 starts) / 24 goals / 21 asst.

JD was his typical purple patch self.... His attitude towards finding himself on the bench never helped in either stint.

Keane proved a waste of money..... Was never the same when he returned.

There must be something seriously wrong between our recruitment team and coaches/manager if someone thinks this guy is what we need. He has been awful in this game against virtually a 2nd string dippers. Not seen one redeemable quality he brings to the table. I’d keep skippy or just promote donley or Alfie.

I doubt there’s anything in it. Just his agent trying to pressure the chavs into giving him a new contract.

Pav scored some solute bangers for us. His highlights reel for us is quite remarkable. But he was a strange striker, maybe just didn’t work hard enough but he was capable of moments of magic.

I always liked Pav and don’t think he was given the opportunity to be a regular. Pav was not a shit striker.

Back
Top Bottom