Tottenham Hotspur Vs Wolverhampton Yam Yam Wanderers. (Sat 17th Feb 15:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We shouldn't have loaned Werner - it's fine to have one player like that on the bench, but you'll never need two.

We keep on getting into scenarios where we just don't have enough ball playing players on the pitch - you can't carry Richarlison, Werner, Johnson and Son - they all need others to create chances for them.

Not enough technical players and footballers at the club. That’s where city have got it right in their wide positions. Silva, Grealish, Foden, doku. All technical players who can keep the ball and play a clever pass (and also know when to go to ground and play the dirty side of the game at the right time). We have gone for pace. It’s not going to work because as we have now found out. You can’t use those players when teams sit deep because they’ve nowhere to run into and then don’t have the skill to beat a man (has johnson done it once since joining, for example).

Fair points and observations, in my view. If Madders cannot work any of his magic against a low block or parked bus, this team is essentially nullified.
This is the most frustrating thing about Spurs and its persisted for years through many different managers. So many matches - dominate possession but do fuck all with it. Faff around side to side in the final 3rd until we turn it over eventually. Just have a shot, ffs. Deflections create goals. Rebounds create goals. Own goals happen. Too many matches like yesterday since Harry, who is still lionized by Spurs fans because that was probably the last time we didn't fuck about in the final 3rd.

Not enough technical players and footballers at the club. That’s where city have got it right in their wide positions. Silva, Grealish, Foden, doku. All technical players who can keep the ball and play a clever pass (and also know when to go to ground and play the dirty side of the game at the right time). We have gone for pace. It’s not going to work because as we have now found out. You can’t use those players when teams sit deep because they’ve nowhere to run into and then don’t have the skill to beat a man (has johnson done it once since joining, for example).

Pace is over-rated.... It's just a bonus. Gimme a player that's comfortable on the ball and plays with their head up any day.

Last edited:

Doku is a good player and I like him but he's quite clearly a level or two below where Mahrez was for City and he needs a bit more time to develope IMO he's not starter quality just yet for them and they lose a little something when he plays against the top teams.

Pace is over-rated.... It's just a bonus. Gimme a player that's comfortable on the ball and plays with their head up any day.

I found myself asking for a Tommy huddlestone type v Brighton ffs! 😂😂😂

After the last three managers I thought Ange might favour some technicality. Maybe he’ll go that way if we manage to keep a manager employed for more than one season!

Were not clever enough in final third. We need a clever striker, better movement and who cam do flick passes to fool defences. Someone like berbatov. I do think ferguson or giminez will be our striker target in summer.

Doku is a good player and I like him but he's quite clearly a level or two below where Mahrez was for City and he needs a bit more time to develope IMO he's not starter quality just yet for them and they lose a little something when he plays against the top teams.
I can't believe we don't have an attacking player like Doku who can beat an opp player at will & then run to the goals/goalline.. BJ can't Kulu can't Werner can't

Son used to beat 6 or 7 players but angeball(?) has restricted his movements.
Maddison ?

Maybe in one of our final games Ange thows up his arms and say"
fck ange ball today - just play whatever style you guys wanna play":ange-hands-head:

When they were previously at full pelt, Henderson, Wijnaldum & Fabinho wasn't exactly dripping with mercurial star-power either.
Definitely a higher level than Jones, Endo and Macalister.
Plus VVD and Salah at the height of their power (+ Mane + Firmino).

Overall a much more fearsome side.

You look at the current XI and they look very beatable... but no one seems to beat them.

I'm glad you raised the issue of sending in some crosses to Richy. I haven't seen MOTD and i have limited knowledge of football tactics, but it seemed to me in the final third, we were passing it around way too often, in a very narrow corridor.

Richy is very good in the air.
Why not exploit that ?

I'm genuinely interested in what I am missing here.
On his own against 3 CBs. Tough ask.

Plus Son and Kulu are not "get to the byline and whip a cross in wingers".

Johnson and Werner are better suited to that game.

Couldn’t bring myself to write yesterday. Since Ange arrived its worst we have played. Just hope it was only a blip.
And for those of you saying we just ‘got lucky’ in other games fuck off. We dominated in those other games. We supposedly got lucky against Liverpool for instance because they had a goal disallowed. Klopp dictating the narrative to be all about that and totally ignoring we were the best team even before their player got sent off. Against Woolwich we were miles better. All a saw after that game was loads of gooners shitting themselves and relieved because they knew they’d seen a better team that day. We got it wrong yesterday. That’s all
We looked great at the start of the season.

I think it's down to Biss looking low on confidence (he has been like that since October) and Maddison still not 100% after the injury.

When both of those are firing it inspires confidence across the team and more importantly allows us to move the ball forward quickly. Biss beats the press gives to Maddison who puts Son through etc.

Right now everything is ponderous like they are second guessing themselves.

On his own against 3 CBs. Tough ask.

Plus Son and Kulu are not "get to the byline and whip a cross in wingers".

Johnson and Werner are better suited to that game.

Potentially they may be the subs that needed to be made if that's the game the oppo presented to you; if indeed they are sacrificing the flanks for central solidity and your A-team are failing to break them down through mere persistence.

It's;

- ultra high press
- first time passing
- pushing players into positions the opposition don't want to follow
- attacking relentlessly
- sticking to the above no matter what

We've seen none of it recently though
That’s so true. We have not seen it in ages !

& Shipping 6 points to Wolves in a season is an utter liberty, Craig Dawson. A name that should haunt Werner, Son, Johnson, Richarlson etc for many years to come.

Back
Top Bottom