Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Didn't Poch do that as well though? I remember reading that he wanted the same thing coached from youth to the first team so it made transitioning up a level easier. Don't get me wrong, i'm happy with the direct of the on-field play, new executive team and the ethos through the club but parts have been in sync before

Youth team never played the same way as the first team under Poch.

This is most definitely the first time I remember, off the top of my head, in my 30 years of watching that our youth teams at all levels play the same way, inverted full backs and all.

Youth team never played the same way as the first team under Poch.

This is most definitely the first time I remember, off the top of my head, in my 30 years of watching that our youth teams at all levels play the same way, inverted full backs and all.
ah really? I remember an article about it a few years back. Whether it happened or not I remember something about it

ah really? I remember an article about it a few years back. Whether it happened or not I remember something about it
Poch pushed for quick moves up the team system for youth players. So kids that bossed it at u15 got moved up and so on. And there certainly was a idea of everyone playing attacking football. But the styles differed from team to team.

Poch also wanted kids to stay and train with him rather than go on loan of course. For better or worse.

It's exactly what Roar did when he joined. I was coaching Queensland Lions (Roar youth) when he joined, and the structure of the coaching, from top to bottom, changed almost overnight. Essentially, they looked at Ajax and adopted their approach, with a style that was heavily weighted towards 'Total Football.'

It was brilliant in all honesty. Everyone, from the kids, to the coaches absolutely loved the directive as it made concentration on the technical side a lot of fun for the kids. As a result, their skillsets took a quantum leap forward, compared to what we had before, not just for the kids but for the coaches too.

I seriously considered going for my coaching badges as a result of that but, alas, I ended up doing fly in-fly out works so had to quit.
Surprised they didn't have the Total Football philosophy in the first place as it was a Dutch background club (I think?).

Surprised they didn't have the Total Football philosophy in the first place as it was a Dutch background club (I think?).
Not sure on the history, but there certainly wasn't that philosophy in there when I coached. Essentially, it was left to the coaches to create their own training methodology so, as you would expect, it differed from group to group depending on the knowledge and experience of the coaches brought in.

In the youth setup, particularly for the youngest kids, there was no real structure. Many of us were Fathers of the kids who played. I only got involved because my Son asked to join the club, and would only do so if I went and coached. As it turned out, most of the 'coaches' were Aussies who'd played at quite a low standard and were doing the same for their own kids. When the structure was brought in, with a complete briefing on what to concentrate on, everything changed for the better. There were some really talented youngsters there who massively benefited from the change. Same for many of the coaches.

It wouldn't surprise me if quite a few of them went on to do their badges, we all enjoyed the structure that much.

I find it strange that he’s linked to the Liverpool job simply because he’s a fan of the club. Might be a biased because I don’t think as highly as most Spurs fans think about him, but what exactly has he done here that he’s linked so fast to the Liverpool job? He’s steered us away from the football we played under the last three managers and we play better, though not consistently but that’s understandable, changes don’t happen overnight. Aside from that, we’re out of both domestic cups, we’ve had no European distraction and we’re 4th, which is no miracle job by any means. He’s had injuries to deal with, but he’s not the first, neither the last manager to deal with that.

Back
Top Bottom