Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

liverpool is going to be a tough game mate they are the in form team with arguably the best player in the comp in suarez..dawson needs to get dropped for this game... backline needs to be walker, vlad, verts, rose..

suarez's pace and agility will kill him...
Just stop the supply (or keep it to a minimum. Its not his pace, as Lennon's, its his persistence thats the problem. He doesn't stop attacking the ball. You need to keep focus 100% with him. I feel Dawson can cope but will literally need to smother him, upset him, wind him up and need I say tackle him (fairly), if thats possible ? or if Capoue plays having man mark him-why not. Saying all this Liverpool do not travel well, we are at home-just out score em. Its all about 3 points.

Just stop the supply (or keep it to a minimum. Its not his pace, as Lennon's, its his persistence thats the problem. He doesn't stop attacking the ball. You need to keep focus 100% with him. I feel Dawson can cope but will literally need to smother him, upset him, wind him up and need I say tackle him (fairly), if thats possible ?

suarez is in my mind a unique player, maybe only matched by aguero and rooney in the PL, in that his quick, agile, strong, can dribble, is clinical, can shoot from distance and most dangerous of all he can do all this on his own...need i mention his also a massive cunt...
given how dawson has faired against aguero and co as well as others i can see his weaknesses being exploited. as ive said before dawson can play well but generally against the big, strong, slow, physical types..i think he will play regardless of my opinion though but am hoping he does not...much will hinge on rose's return or not

Second week in a row AVB has changed up his tactics to good effort, allowing more space and thus permitting the team to display better attacking movement, so for the second week in a row I give him credit.

And again, Walker has another brilliant game with Lennon (who also brilliant) on the right in front of him.

For me, the right side picks itself....really dont want to see that changed next week.

There was a phase in the second half where the passes were really coming off. Capou was threading some great forward passes and holtby and demeble were running with the ball facing goal. Paulinho and wingers were making great stretching runs and Defoe was running the gaps. I was finally seeing spurs playing 'football'. I was excited. It dropped off a bit but it was great to watch. I loved capou's interceptions. Walker played excellent with no brain farts but lorris is turning slightly Gomes!

Sorry for spelling. Not used to iPad.
Did you miss spell it should it have read gnomes:windy:

Just finished my first viewing of the game. Wow, I believe that is undoubtedly Holtby's finest game in a Spurs shirt. That goal clearly did wonders for his psyche. Superb energy, positioning, touch, and ideas.

More than anything, just happy to see us create so many lanes in the attacking third. While we still have improvement to go (finishing namely - holy Christ this must be improved), this stride in confidence is superb timing with Liverpool coming in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they've taken a win as of yet off one of the top sides, have just managed to draw them.

Edit to say and no, I don't count Man United.
Saurez didnt draw them, i heard he plumped for a peacefull landscape:windy:

liverpool is going to be a tough game mate they are the in form team with arguably the best player in the comp in suarez..dawson needs to get dropped for this game... backline needs to be walker, vlad, verts, rose..

suarez's pace and agility will kill him...
Dawson certainly doesn't need to be dropped for this game. You would prefer someone with a swollen ankle to play against Liverpool, are you sure? Of course Verts and indeed the injured Vlad might be fit by then, they might not. You can't know ATM if they will be or not. If they are fit, then the debate can begin, my view, as things stand, is that Dawson, one of our first choice CBs, and captain, will play against Liverpool.

suarez is in my mind a unique player, maybe only matched by aguero and rooney in the PL, in that his quick, agile, strong, can dribble, is clinical, can shoot from distance and most dangerous of all he can do all this on his own...need i mention his also a massive cunt...
given how dawson has faired against aguero and co as well as others i can see his weaknesses being exploited. as ive said before dawson can play well but generally against the big, strong, slow, physical types..i think he will play regardless of my opinion though but am hoping he does not...much will hinge on rose's return or not
Against City Dawson was isolated so was exploited (looked poor. He needs to stop lunging in.
Suarez will play , as you say, his unique way - busy ,busy. He only becomes unpredictable if you allow him to. Control the game! Do not allow the ball to come under his control, hit him early. Anticipate his movements, get to the ball early. Keep it tight. Defence needs to keep together. He is not unplayable.

Against City Dawson was isolated so was exploited (looked poor. He needs to stop lunging in.
Suarez will play , as you say, his unique way - busy ,busy. He only becomes unpredictable if you allow him to. Control the game! Do not allow the ball to come under his control, hit him early. Anticipate his movements, get to the ball early. Keep it tight. Defence needs to keep together. He is not unplayable.

I remember Ledley had him in his pocket at Anfield a few seasons ago

Probably been said already quite a bit but I thought Lennon played very well yesterday, more like the Lennon of old and in my opinion still miles better than Townsend. Walker had a good game too, defensively he was solid and seems to be getting better and better.

And when DTD came on he ripped it up. He needs to start. Chadli is poor. Our new Jenas maybe.

I might be the only one, but I like Chadli - he offers a stability to our play that our other wide players don't.

When we play either Defoe or Soldado on their own we lack height and presence up front as well, we need someone who can at least try to challenge for balls in the air.

To have that ability and also be pretty neat in position and have the pace and skill to test fullbacks is very rare imo.

Lennon did well yesterday, but I wouldn't rate him higher than Townsend. To me Townsend still offers the prospect of more 'end product', ie combined goals/assists.

Townsend could play on the left. It may be against Pool, we have to sacrifice him for an extra mid, we'll see.

I might be the only one, but I like Chadli - he offers a stability to our play that our other wide players don't.

When we play either Defoe or Soldado on their own we lack height and presence up front as well, we need someone who can at least try to challenge for balls in the air.

To have that ability and also be pretty neat in position and have the pace and skill to test fullbacks is very rare imo.

Personally I think he offers nothing. Lennon on the right, Townsend on the left, ripping full backs a new one. Defoe first choice now. WERE GONNA WIN THE LEAGUE!!!!!

Good points. For all Lennon's work rate, which was tremendous, and he had a very good game overall, but it was Chadli who got an assist, not him. The problem with Aaron, for me, over the years has been not enough goals/assists. True, he was unlucky not to get an assist yesterday, but luck hasn't been the key reason over the years.

It's great we have Townsend Lennon and Chadli all in contention for the wing position(s). I like all three of them, my favourite is Townsend because I think he has the most to offer at this best, but he has to prove that of course and turn potential into frightening actuality. Playing him on the left, and also roaming and getting into the box, might do it for us.

Personally I think he offers nothing. Lennon on the right, Townsend on the left, ripping full backs a new one. Defoe first choice now. WERE GONNA WIN THE LEAGUE!!!!!

Townsend to me is pretty weak, he's good when we're winning and he has the space to hit people on counter attacks but doesn't break teams down or offer any defensive support in a tight game.

Back
Top Bottom