Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If everyone was fully fit, this would be my first choice back four:

Chiriches. Kaboul. Vertonghan Rose

Kyle played very well today but still makes too many unforced errors.

One of the reasons Walker had to quit Tennis.

Do you know he lived in Florida since he was 11 at the Nick Bollitelli tennis academy?

Who knows, I'll wait till tomorrow comes. ATM Daws is one of our first choice CBs and has been all season, despite many people claiming, wrongly, he wouldn't be.

Just answer the question mate, which two players make up our best centre back partnership? Dawson has been playing centre back a lot this season however I get the feeling that is down to injuries and the like.

Unfortunately I can't be bothered to pull up stats for Dawson's cross field passes but I can guarantee they have a stupidly low success rate and more often than not there is a fair easier and simpler pass available.
Maybe they do, they just don't bother me. Soldado waving his arms around the other week, that bothered me. Some of Jan's apparent/alleged behaviour over playing LB bothers me. Well done to Naughton BTW today for stepping up well. The lack of league goals in open play by JD and Soldado, the fact that Ade can't seem to play more than half an hour without breaking down, Lamela's underwhelming start to the season ... I could go on :)

F
You had to ruin a perfectly sensible football debate didn't you.

Where would you like me to begin with the destruction of this ludicrous point?
Feel free to start anywhere. Chiriches is a RB and smallish for CB. He is a fast, fluid and intelligent footballer who likes to attack. Kaboom , if fit , is potentially our best CB. Vertonghan goes without saying. Rose has great speed, attacks well and scores goals. I'd have taken Benny if he was here.

Just answer the question mate, which two players make up our best centre back partnership? Dawson has been playing centre back a lot this season however I get the feeling that is down to injuries and the like.
I've answered the question Dawson is one of our first choice CBs, and has been all season, despite many people claiming, wrongly, he wouldn't be. When the future arrives , AVB, or whoever is manager, will deal with it. Of course there will be come a time when none of Daws Verts Kab Vlad whoever are first choice CBs.

lots of people claimed during the summer, despite his injuries, that Kab would be one of our first choice CBs, well they've been wrong, big-time so far.

Playing Mystic Meg is a risky business, we all do it, me included. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong, ditto 99.999% of the population.

What I don't like is the vendetta that many Spurs fans have been carrying out against Dawson for years, particularly the last couple of them.

Last edited:
F

Feel free to start anywhere. Chiriches is a RB and smallish for CB. He is a fast, fluid and intelligent footballer who likes to attack. Kaboom , if fit , is potentially our best CB. Vertonghan goes without saying. Rose has great speed, attacks well and scores goals. I'd have taken Benny if he was here.

Firstly, despite what you say we haven't seen Chiriches at right back and so we have no idea how competent he is there couple that with the fact that Kyle Walker has been one of our better and more consitent players this season, aside from his mistake at City. Kaboul* is almost certainly not our best centre back, not by a long stretch, he is so overly reliant on pace, a yard of which he will have lost even if he does recover from his injury. Vertonghen, nothing more needs to be said. Same goes for Rose, but he also still has lot to prove.

In very general terms, that back four is composed of three centre backs and a converted left winger, never a great starting point for a back four.

F

Is chiches faster than the failed tennis player?

Remember his speed attack training.

I've answered the question Dawson is one of our first choice CBs, and has been all season, despite many people claiming, wrongly, he wouldn't be. When the future arrives , AVB, or whoever is manager, will deal with it. Of course there will be come a time when none of Daws Verts Kab Vlad whoever are first choice CBs.

lots of people claimed during the summer, despite his injuries, that Kab would be one of our first choice CBs, well they've been wrong, big-time so far.

All I am asking you to do is tell me, if you had to pick a starting eleven for a game tomorrow, with everyone fit, who would be your centre back pairing, it's not difficult.

Here I will show you; I would go with Chiriches and Vertonghen.

Jan and Rags, end of discussion. If we are playing a big team like Sunderland, maybe bring in Dawson like we did with Caulker last year.
I don't think it's the end of the discussion at all. There's no strong proof at all that your pairing is the best, it;s an assumption you're making. How many Prem games have that duo played together, what were the scores? I would say ATM Daws and Capoue are better than them. Oh, end of discussion :) and I top that with FACT! 100% success rate.

I can imagine all sorts of problems with Vlad and Verts as our regular CB pairing.

Chiriches is a RB
PBj1ok5.jpg

Kaboom , if fit
Never fit.

We actually did. Once. In a Europa League game. For a few minutes.

I was going to say "we haven't seen much of him at centre back, if any at all" however I didn't count on a pedant such as yourself noticing that at this time of the morning. Either way it is largely irrelevant, Kyle Walker is an ever improving prospect.

Back
Top Bottom