January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The names you mentioned just aren't realistic at all, Leao as I said has a release clause of £175m, Krava won't be sold anytime because Napoli will receive money for Oshimen in the Summer and you can forget about Vinicius, he isn't leaving Real and certainly not coming to Spurs.

I think you and me would have known if there were certain players we could have taken advantage because they'd stick out like a sort thumb.

It would be different if it was a Summer window but this window is honestly shit, it's a dead market because players don't tend to move mid season.

I don't agree with that necessarily.

Those players are more unrealistic because of the wages they'd demand than the transfers but they were just examples. I'm willing to bet Milan would take less than Leao's release clause if it was offered. I doubt anyone is turning down 100m for anyone this winter with the way the market is frozen,

It's a dead market because of FFP and because it's January.

Anyway, we are going nowhere. I'm not saying we haven't had a decent window, it's been ok. We got a great prospect at CB and a handy stop gap at LWF while Son is away.

Not really. Maybe I should’ve added emojis or something to soften the tone of my post.

No issue with you at all, just I don’t agree with what you wrote!

:nunothumb: :ange-arms::richtongue:
Thank god for the softening pill of emojis!!

I honestly just think that to give us enough options to cope with the last few months we've got to have players prepared to rotate in and out of the squad as needed... It doesn't make them lesser players... If anything it says more about their team ethic, and being prepared to play (or not play) for the greater good...

Not turn up demanding to play every game... That's unrealistic.

My message to Nusa would be; if you wanna play every game, fine.
...But if you get injured, (which is inevitable) you STILL have to play, as we don't have anyone else prepared to come in and help the SQUAD out when injuries strike...
So as long as you're ok with that, we're good!

*Fuck, just re-read that last bit...
I sound like the Harry Enfield/Paul Whitehouse characters: The Self Righteous Brothers!
"Oi, Nusa, NO!!"

I don't agree with that necessarily.

Those players are more unrealistic because of the wages they'd demand than the transfers but they were just examples. I'm willing to bet Milan would take less than Leao's release clause if it was offered. I doubt anyone is turning down 100m for anyone this winter with the way the market is frozen,

It's a dead market because of FFP and because it's January.

Anyway, we are going nowhere. I'm not saying we haven't had a decent window, it's been ok. We got a great prospect at CB and a handy stop gap at LWF while Son is away.

Rafael Leao is a bad example, the guy hasn't scored since September so I don't really want us spending anywhere near £100m on him and we shouldn't be shelling out that kind of money this month regardless

The market is dead because it's January and that's always been the case, it's just been exaggerated this year because of the restrictions.

Jacob Ramesy eh?

Highly rated but have seen very little of him.

So villa need money too it seems! Are we the only club not in desperate need of a cash injection

Or we stood back and let him make his mind up, passively, and got "lucky" that he chose us.

I do appreciate we need players who want to play for us. But at the same time, we may be cutting our noses off to spite our faces by not going balls deep on top talents to elevate the team.
But isn't that the Ange model? We tabled a bid, Bayern came in and if the player really wanted to play for us, and really believes in our playing model then he'd choose us, which fortunately he did.
Instead of 'going balls deep' and ending up with players who don't have the passion to play for us but joined because we were willing to pay them outrageous wages....ref: Tanguy

Rafael Leao is a bad example, the guy hasn't scored since September so I don't really want us spending anywhere near £100m on him and we shouldn't be shelling out that kind of money this month regardless

The market is dead because it's January and that's always been the case, it's just been exaggerated this year because of the restrictions.

Sure, he's a bad example, that's fine with me. You could also argue that his form dip could grease the cogs for Milan being willing to let him go. That is where you trust your scouting.

Either way, whether it's this winter, or the summer, Klopp leaving and FFP has presented us that opportunity to push on. Maybe ahead of schedule but we are coming into 6-12 months that are very much like when we had a talented team under Poch and had the opportunity to push on but got overtaken by Liverpool.

The club has another opportunity to show how ambitious it really is.

Sure, he's a bad example, that's fine with me. You could also argue that his form dip could grease the cogs for Milan being willing to let him go. That is where you trust your scouting.

Either way, whether it's this winter, or the summer, Klopp leaving and FFP has presented us that opportunity to push on. Maybe ahead of schedule but we are coming into 6-12 months that are very much like when we had a talented team under Poch and had the opportunity to push on but got overtaken by Liverpool.

The club has another opportunity to show how ambitious it really is.

Do you want to spend that much money on a player who's so badly out of form though? £100m for a player who is having a rank bad season is a terrible investment, it's even worse now because it's mid season and Milan are unlikely to let him go for cheap now anyway, the smart money is waiting on him until the Summer to see if he picks up form and he's more likely to be cheaper regardless - players tend to be cheaper in the Summer because it gives other clubs time to look for replacements as there's more movement on the market.

I don't think there's any rush personally, I've always said that I've been happy at the kind of moves the club's been doing and the progress that's been made - have always maintained that if we get the Summer window right we are 100% challenging for the league next season and that's due to the progress we've made - think fans just need to be a little patient IMO.

I don't think the Nusa one is money, and I'm not convinced it was down to game time either.
I don't think we moved quick enough, we didn't a "rival" bid coming and before we knew it, we lost a target.

Again, completely made up bollocks.

Just say that you have no idea, because you don't.

EDIT: Anyone who disagrees with this post is wrong.

Last edited:
But isn't that the Ange model? We tabled a bid, Bayern came in and if the player really wanted to play for us, and really believes in our playing model then he'd choose us, which fortunately he did.
Instead of 'going balls deep' and ending up with players who don't have the passion to play for us but joined because we were willing to pay them outrageous wages....ref: Tanguy
It's massively arrogant to think all it takes is a brief call from a bloke nobody was taking seriously a little while ago.
Bigger clubs than us, with more successful coaches than ours, often need to work on getting a player to sign.
Absolutely don't want players that really don't want to be at Spurs. That's fine. But I also don't think walking away from those that need a little bit more convincing than others is the right thing to do. If that player is the one that ticks all the boxes in terms of team needs, and there's a chance he can be swung, we should try.

Do you want to spend that much money on a player who's so badly out of form though? £100m for a player who is having a rank bad season is a terrible investment, it's even worse now because it's mid season and Milan are unlikely to let him go for cheap now anyway, the smart money is waiting on him until the Summer to see if he picks up form and he's more likely to be cheaper regardless - players tend to be cheaper in the Summer because it gives other clubs time to look for replacements as there's more movement on the market.

I don't think there's any rush personally, I've always said that I've been happy at the kind of moves the club's been doing and the progress that's been made - have always maintained that if we get the Summer window right we are 100% challenging for the league next season and that's due to the progress we've made - think fans just need to be a little patient IMO.

Thankfully, the club don't rely on me to answer the question about specific cases like Leao. Was just floating that there is 2 ways to see it.

This just popped up on my twitter feed:

View: https://x.com/JackPittBrooke/status/1751896549787889776?s=20

He's saying exactly what I'm saying. Opportunity knocks again. Last time Liverpool had the opportunity and took it with Van Dijk and Allison. The question is, how ambitious is the club to take the opportunity this time?

Thankfully, the club don't rely on me to answer the question about specific cases like Leao. Was just floating that there is 2 ways to see it.

This just popped up on my twitter feed:

View: https://x.com/JackPittBrooke/status/1751896549787889776?s=20

He's saying exactly what I'm saying. Opportunity knocks again. Last time Liverpool had the opportunity and took it with Van Dijk and Allison. The question is, how ambitious is the club to take the opportunity this time?

That would be better answered in the Summer window not the January one.

So this'll be the 437th time that an opportunity presents itself to ENIC owned THFC
Will it be the 437th time that opportunity is passed up?

:levystare:

Back
Top Bottom