Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's not how football is, that's how we are. We are chasing after two players who will cost altogether 100m on the last day of the window. We employed a head of recruitment, he's seen taking a holiday with the team, no one has a fucking clue when this guy is supposed to start work, meanwhile we are still consulting a former DOF done for fraud. What other club is doing this?
What other teams make big signings on deadline day? It happens. City are buying Nunes for around 60m for example.

Perisic said he wanted to go after Conte left, he's 34., his best years are behind him, apart from that one cross when Fulham was down to ten men, he was shite. Just let him go on a free.
He was shite against Fulham cause everyone was shite, you can't rotate 9 players and expect a fluid performance from the team. He's been good otherwise, arguably better than Son at LW.

Spongebob Squarepants Ngapa GIF by The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run

skysports-transfer-inflation_6267347.jpg

Makes you realise what Abramovich actually did. Inflation adjusted transfers, Shevchenko £200m fun times.
I started reading this, but I failed to understand how they adjusted it for inflation.

As for Chelsea inflating prices, yeah, they did, but there's more money than ever in the PL and more in the PL than any other league in the world bar Saudi.
Even the bottom clubs can spend £30m+ on players now. And more pertinantly, they can turn cunts like Levy down when he plays silly buggers and waits until the end of the window

It's a shame our Saudi friends aren't interested in some of our cast-offs. Can't help but feel some of our fringe players will end up there anyway, but only after they've milked us dry and left on a free.

Can see more outs next summer TBH, and not in a good way.

Oh here we go, apparently the factors that impact other clubs are irrelevant for us. Mate you really need to stop pulling out this obviously ridiculous 'whataboutery' card every 5 mins. It's as though you don't understand what it means. Where parallels are being made with other clubs due to factors that must surely impact us as well, it's absolutely not 'whataboutery'. Also where there are plenty of posters who claim that our problems are 'only Spurs' and that other clubs don't have such problems, again it's appropriate, necessary in fact, to compare us with other clubs, in order to prove that the assertion is, quite frankly, utter nonsense (albeit the same nonsense you see on every club's forum).

Also, it's a struggle to have a meaningful conversation with anyone who openly says they are not interested in context unless it is directly about Spurs - surely context is absolutely key to any discussion about anything, including comparisons. :/
I’m not denying other clubs have issues or parralels.

I’m just saying each club is unique for context behind their decisions.

I can speak in Spurs because I know those details better.

If we use other clubs in the conversation we stop focusing on Spurs and the context behind Spurs

It's just Barca have been hawking him around all summer, which has led to scores of links at other Clubs. Nothing got done because the terms to take him weighed heavily in favour of Barca, so no Club was interested. It's all about Barca getting his astronomical wages off their books.

It's gone down to the wire because of the terms but now Clubs are smelling an opportunity in the last 48hrs of the window as Barca might have to move on their terms. 100% this would have peaked our interest and is worth seeing what could be negotiated (although personally I'm hugely dubious of the motive of the player, his injury record, and his desire to get back to Barca when loan finishes - we aren't some school for invalides recovery so they can get back to their club).

Our target is clearly Johnson (or one of him with a couple of irons in fires used to smoke out or fall back on as alternatives).

Any issues we have regarding getting rid of players though his hugely frustrating, especially as the players concerned aren't on massive PL wages. It's this area where we are underperforming and we are still feeling the effects of not having Munn and/or another under him with our Sporting Director/Technical Director operations. Still reflects on poor planning and execution.
Fully agree.

Great post imo.

Back
Top Bottom