The Home Grown Dilemma

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The problem as I see it is that most of the homegrown players that we have are substandard if we want to reach a UFFA position this coming season.

Winks
Dier
Sessegnon
Forster
Davies
Tanganaga
Rodon
And the other two goalkeepers are unknown, as far as being quality,

Dier is NOT HG - he trained in Portugal.

Davies and Forster fine as squad players. Rodon an unknown. Others generally agree, hence need to buy one quality HG this window, preferably two

Not saying that but it shows how disastrous that our academy has been that it has only produced 4 players that are current members of the squad.

kids coming in has been ok - development due to no loans and not played in first team has been the problem. Fans and manager need to understand developing kids is necessary for the long term.

2023-24
1FORSTERNO. 2HG
2LLORIS----replaced
3AUSTIN ----sold
4WHITEMANNO. 3HG
5TANGANGACBHG
6RODON----sold
7DAVIESLB defensiveHG
8ROMEROCBNON-HG
9DIERCBNON-HG
10SANCHEZ----replaced
11ROYALRB defensive NON-HG
12PORRORW NON-HG
13SPENCERB attackingHG
14SESSEGNON----loaned/sold
15PERISIC----sold
16REGUILLON----loaned/sold
17UDOGIELB attackingU 21
18HOJBJERGCMNON-HG
19BISSOUMACMNON-HG
20LO CELSO ----sold
21NDOMBELECMNON-HG
22BENTANCURCMNON-HG
23WINKS - sold----
24WHITE----loan
25SARRCMU 21
26SKIPPCMHG
27KULUSEVSKIRWNON-HG
28GILLWNON-HG
29RICHARLISONCFNON-HG
30SONLWNON-HG
31KANECFHG
HG TOTAL7
NON-HG TOTAL12
U 212
19 + 2 u21s

2023-24
1FORSTERNO. 2HG
2LLORIS----replaced
3AUSTIN----sold
4WHITEMANNO. 3HG
5TANGANGACBHG
6RODON----sold
7DAVIESLB defensiveHG
8ROMEROCBNON-HG
9DIERCBNON-HG
10SANCHEZ----replaced
11ROYALRB defensiveNON-HG
12PORRORWNON-HG
13SPENCERB attackingHG
15PERISIC----sold
17UDOGIELB attackingU 21
18HOJBJERGCMNON-HG
19BISSOUMACMNON-HG
20LO CELSO----sold
21NDOMBELECMNON-HG
22BENTANCURCMNON-HG
23WINKS - sold----
24WHITE----loan
25SARRCMU 21
26SKIPPCMHG
27KULUSEVSKIRWNON-HG
28GILLWNON-HG
29RICHARLISONCFNON-HG
30SONLWNON-HG
31KANECFHG
HG TOTAL7
NON-HG TOTAL12
U 212
19 + 2 u21s
Tanganga needs to leave for himself more than anything.
Think we will have 6HG that are already here but will need to pick up 2 this window.
Out of Tosin/Maddison/Scott/Barnes/Eze most probably.

I see a lot of posts saying we need to sign Home Grown players this summer such as Raya, Maddison, etc. however I’m not sure that is correct given
- the only HG we are likely to offload this summer are benchwarmers / reserves such as Tanganga and Winks
- we are not in Europe which has a higher requirement for HG / club trained

We will have an issue in the summer of 2024 with Forster and Kane going. Kane will be the biggest issue given he’s club trained. But without want to kick the can down the road, that is next years problem.

what disaster of biblical proportions am I missing? Can someone enlighten me?
More importantly can’t you change your avatar to a picture of Ulrika when she didn’t look like a mental patient?

She was quite cute in her youth. You’re not doing her any favours now.

Tanganga needs to leave for himself more than anything.
Think we will have 6HG that are already here but will need to pick up 2 this window.
Out of Tosin/Maddison/Scott/Barnes/Eze most probably.

to be honest, all of our centre backs could leave lol! dier, like son, played most of last year with an injury so here's hoping they both come back strong next season,

but as far as homegrown, I'd be more than happy to see our academy getting integrated. that would boost our figures for the future and would probably get fans to fall back in love with our playing staff

More importantly can’t you change your avatar to a picture of Ulrika when she didn’t look like a mental patient?

She was quite cute in her youth. You’re not doing her any favours now.
How would you look if you’d spent time getting slapped around by Collymore and licking Sven’s ballsack?

She should count her blessings she’s still alive.

to be honest, all of our centre backs could leave lol! dier, like son, played most of last year with an injury so here's hoping they both come back strong next season,

but as far as homegrown, I'd be more than happy to see our academy getting integrated. that would boost our figures for the future and would probably get fans to fall back in love with our playing staff
Yeah but the youngsters won't count towards HG yet so do still need to buy a couple.
Good thing Devine had enough time here to count so can go out on loan this season.

2023-24
1FORSTERNO. 2HG
2LLORIS----replaced
3AUSTIN----sold
4WHITEMANNO. 3HG
5TANGANGACBHG
6RODON----sold
7DAVIESLB defensiveHG
8ROMEROCBNON-HG
9DIERCBNON-HG
10SANCHEZ----replaced
11ROYALRB defensiveNON-HG
12PORRORWNON-HG
13SPENCERB attackingHG
15PERISIC----sold
17UDOGIELB attackingU 21
18HOJBJERGCMNON-HG
19BISSOUMACMNON-HG
20LO CELSO----sold
21NDOMBELECMNON-HG
22BENTANCURCMNON-HG
23WINKS - sold----
24WHITE----loan
25SARRCMU 21
26SKIPPCMHG
27KULUSEVSKIRWNON-HG
28GILLWNON-HG
29RICHARLISONCFNON-HG
30SONLWNON-HG
31KANECFHG
HG TOTAL7
NON-HG TOTAL12
U 212
19 + 2 u21s
That's a sensible list. I disagree about keeping Tanganga. He needs a loan at least.
As for Ndombele....well, I'll just say fingers crossed.

Isn’t club trained where our bigger problem is going to be?

We’ve had practically no one come through our academy in the last 5 years. Pretty much just Skipp and then an unreliable tanganga.

Yeah but the youngsters won't count towards HG yet so do still need to buy a couple.
Good thing Devine had enough time here to count so can go out on loan this season.

I know what you mean but we don't 'have to' include 8 home grown players. sarr and udogie, for example, won't be counted in the 25 yet I'm hoping will get a fair amount of game time. the same with our u21s from the academy.

if we could create a base of around 16~18 'senior' players, that would create space to blood in academy prospects. I mean, what's the point of having one if we never give them a chance.

That's a sensible list. I disagree about keeping Tanganga. He needs a loan at least.
As for Ndombele....well, I'll just say fingers crossed.

I'm hope he gets a chance. he might not get one and you're probably right but still, that man city game gives him hope of making it.

move over, I can't see him having such a low level of commitment, or being out 'injured' like one of our other centre backs

Tanganga needed a season long loan three years ago. Probably too late now.

Levy should have insisted he go on loan. Now he’s not good enough to play for us regularly and prob too old to develop much further.

ham fisted asset handling strikes again :/

Tanganga needed a season long loan three years ago. Probably too late now.

Levy should have insisted he go on loan. Now he’s not good enough to play for us regularly and prob too old to develop much further.

ham fisted asset handling strikes again :/
Can't see him being linked with a team like Milan again like last summer

Back
Top Bottom