Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hello Spurs fans
I’m a Celtic fan and I’ve read this thread, mainly to see if any of you were ITK about Ange but a few comments need to be addressed.

A lot of you seem to be referencing Gerrard as a measure of success in Scotland. Gerrard won a single title and no cups in three seasons. It was 1 trophy out of 9 he competed for. He wasn’t a success, he was hyped up by his friends in the media because he’s Steven Gerrard. Ange won more than him in ten months. He’s currently on 4 trophies out of 5 with a cup final this weekend to make it 5 out of 6.

“Rangers have a bloke in charge that must have won a competition or something” is another comment that has stood out. After Gerrard left, Rangers appointed GVB who had won the league at Feyenoord… Isn’t that the same pedigree as the guy Slot you all wanted last week? He then took Rangers to a Europa league final 11 months ago.
This season we’ve won the league against a Rangers team that had over 90 points. A total that would have won the title 9 times out of 10. We did it by scoring a record number of goals. We beat them in a semi final and a cup final. As I said, they were in a Europa final… not a bad team you know, beating Dortmund, RB etc.

Rodger’s was a good manager who was up against incredibly poor competition. A Rangers side that had just returned to the league and had people like Mark Warburton I charge and Scottish players with no pedigree. His trebles do not compare to the one Ange is on the verge of winning and frankly his football was extremely boring for the most part and he had the personality and charisma of a dish cloth.

When Ange joined us we were also underwhelmed, our forums had splits down the middle too and we started the season really poorly going out of the CL to some Danish team and losing quite a few of our opening games but when it clicked, it clicked and I’ve watched some of the most exciting, dynamic and expansive football I’ve ever seen us play. The guy has a good ethos on how the game should be played which is quick, front foot, attacking football. It’s all about winning and winning playing the football he likes. He has no time for defensive, turgid approaches to games. We went into a game against Real Madrid with one pivot in the 6, two 8s, two wingers and inverted full backs. He has no fear and we love that. We play single pivot against everyone and we press really high up the pitch, 100 miles from the off with a lot of great rotations on each wing. We take quick free kicks, corners and throw ins. You can find a lot good examples of that play from these games:

I can understand your reservations although some of it does come across as slightly entitled but you’re a club that seems a bit lost, there’s no connection between fans, manager and players. You’ve had a lot of big time hires that haven’t worked out. This guy is probably exactly what you should be looking for. He really unites the team and the fans together, he’s a passionate guy with incredible presence. Our players will run through walls for him but they are also shit scared of him. He has no time for egomaniacs or primadonnas. He’ll weed them out fast.
Lastly, this man is a mentality monster. You are criticising his lack of pedigree. Wake up, do you know how difficult it is for a guy who’s managing in Australia to get noticed? There’s a bias towards managers from Europe or in Europe. The Morocco manager referenced it during the World Cup.
Ange has had no help, no leg up ala Gerrard, Lampard etc. He started off with Australia U17s and now he could become the first Australian to manage in the EPL. He rocked up at Celtic with not one member of staff. He backs himself like you wouldn’t believe and people follow this guy, he gets everyone on board. As for Levy, Ange is in charge of everything at Celtic. He does all the signings, he rejigged all the youth set up so now they all play the same tactics as the first team. He oversees the full project. We don’t have a DOF.

Absolutely desperate for him to stay at Celtic but I know the nature of the beast. We worship him like a God. I’ve never known a manager to be so in sync with the fans. We know Ange though and he’ll be very keen on being the first Aussie to manage in the EPL given everything he’s had to overcome to get here.

Cracking post. Thanks for taking the time.

Hello Spurs fans
I’m a Celtic fan and I’ve read this thread, mainly to see if any of you were ITK about Ange but a few comments need to be addressed.

A lot of you seem to be referencing Gerrard as a measure of success in Scotland. Gerrard won a single title and no cups in three seasons. It was 1 trophy out of 9 he competed for. He wasn’t a success, he was hyped up by his friends in the media because he’s Steven Gerrard. Ange won more than him in ten months. He’s currently on 4 trophies out of 5 with a cup final this weekend to make it 5 out of 6.

“Rangers have a bloke in charge that must have won a competition or something” is another comment that has stood out. After Gerrard left, Rangers appointed GVB who had won the league at Feyenoord… Isn’t that the same pedigree as the guy Slot you all wanted last week? He then took Rangers to a Europa league final 11 months ago.
This season we’ve won the league against a Rangers team that had over 90 points. A total that would have won the title 9 times out of 10. We did it by scoring a record number of goals. We beat them in a semi final and a cup final. As I said, they were in a Europa final… not a bad team you know, beating Dortmund, RB etc.

Rodger’s was a good manager who was up against incredibly poor competition. A Rangers side that had just returned to the league and had people like Mark Warburton I charge and Scottish players with no pedigree. His trebles do not compare to the one Ange is on the verge of winning and frankly his football was extremely boring for the most part and he had the personality and charisma of a dish cloth.

When Ange joined us we were also underwhelmed, our forums had splits down the middle too and we started the season really poorly going out of the CL to some Danish team and losing quite a few of our opening games but when it clicked, it clicked and I’ve watched some of the most exciting, dynamic and expansive football I’ve ever seen us play. The guy has a good ethos on how the game should be played which is quick, front foot, attacking football. It’s all about winning and winning playing the football he likes. He has no time for defensive, turgid approaches to games. We went into a game against Real Madrid with one pivot in the 6, two 8s, two wingers and inverted full backs. He has no fear and we love that. We play single pivot against everyone and we press really high up the pitch, 100 miles from the off with a lot of great rotations on each wing. We take quick free kicks, corners and throw ins. You can find a lot good examples of that play from these games:

I can understand your reservations although some of it does come across as slightly entitled but you’re a club that seems a bit lost, there’s no connection between fans, manager and players. You’ve had a lot of big time hires that haven’t worked out. This guy is probably exactly what you should be looking for. He really unites the team and the fans together, he’s a passionate guy with incredible presence. Our players will run through walls for him but they are also shit scared of him. He has no time for egomaniacs or primadonnas. He’ll weed them out fast.
Lastly, this man is a mentality monster. You are criticising his lack of pedigree. Wake up, do you know how difficult it is for a guy who’s managing in Australia to get noticed? There’s a bias towards managers from Europe or in Europe. The Morocco manager referenced it during the World Cup.
Ange has had no help, no leg up ala Gerrard, Lampard etc. He started off with Australia U17s and now he could become the first Australian to manage in the EPL. He rocked up at Celtic with not one member of staff. He backs himself like you wouldn’t believe and people follow this guy, he gets everyone on board. As for Levy, Ange is in charge of everything at Celtic. He does all the signings, he rejigged all the youth set up so now they all play the same tactics as the first team. He oversees the full project. We don’t have a DOF.

Absolutely desperate for him to stay at Celtic but I know the nature of the beast. We worship him like a God. I’ve never known a manager to be so in sync with the fans. We know Ange though and he’ll be very keen on being the first Aussie to manage in the EPL given everything he’s had to overcome to get here.

Great post mate.

Thanks for taking the time.

Appreciated.

Hello Spurs fans

You're Ange, aren't you?

Not happy we didn’t get Pochettino or Naglesmann but I am ok, it a gamble but at least one trying to play proper attacking football and improve players.

Was more worried we would get the prick Rogers or a bore like Amirom or another manager like Luis Enrique who we wouldn’t be able to support.

Wanted

Pochettino
Naglesmann

Didn’t want for different reasons

Rogers
Amorim
Luis Enrique
Mason

Was curious

Kompany
Slot
Postecoglou

So in effect for me it’s the guy who plays the right brand of football and is a big personality but is a huge risk stepping up a level.

Kind of see Ange as a Martin Jol type. Avuncular, down to earth, good man manager, attacking football, good record in a smaller league, who'd be making a big step up.

It's a dial-down-the-expectation choice, likely driven by Munn, maybe thinking about someone who'll stick around for a post Kane rebuild. I'm OK with it - he's proved he's a good coach. More important thing long term will be can we spend our money more wisely. DoF and structure behind that is what determines our medium term success.

The truth is our players play they way the coach asks them to. Under Conte he wants his teams to reset, which means lots of going back to go forwards.

I don’t know of any academy that hasn’t concentrated on teaching youngsters to use the whole of the pitch by using your GK as an extra outfield player in the last 10 years.

Pretty standard these days.

Maybe going against that mindset is the next mini evolution of the game.

Or you are just going to continuously lose the ball in midfield playing into an outnumbered area!

This has BMJ vibes writ large.

This is the guy I wanted above all. Fuck. It may even break my embargo of not giving that useless, incompetent fraud of a bald cunt some of my money.

I'm getting stirrings in places I long thought dead.

I’m a bit surprised at how against some people seem to be at the prospect of Ange.
Bar his age he’s exactly the type of manager that people were clamouring for, wants to be here, plays attractive football, and isn’t a complete asshole.

Yes he’s risky, but the same would go for Gallardo, Carrick, Slot.

All good with Postocoglou as a coach.

They still need to fucking get a structure at the club in terms of DOF and a direction, identity.

Unless the plan is that Ange becomes the DOF, direction, and Identity?
Then I'm not sure that's a great idea at all.

I don’t know of any academy that hasn’t concentrated on teaching youngsters to use the whole of the pitch by using your GK as an extra outfield player in the last 10 years.

Pretty standard these days.

Maybe going against that mindset is the next mini evolution of the game.

Or you are just going to continuously lose the ball in midfield playing into an outnumbered area!
Conte's specific reset of the game was to draw oppo up the pitch but when I now see De Zerbi's Brighton's version of this, it's like watching a different sport!

I think what he is doing in deep build-up is totally unique and as such I expect will be emulated next season, just as the entire league has almost gone with playing a back three now. But the teams that are first to brake away from the norm do tend to have the surprise and do well until the problem is solved.

Kind of see Ange as a Martin Jol type. Avuncular, down to earth, good man manager, attacking football, good record in a smaller league, who'd be making a big step up.

It's a dial-down-the-expectation choice, likely driven by Munn, maybe thinking about someone who'll stick around for a post Kane rebuild. I'm OK with it - he's proved he's a good coach. More important thing long term will be can we spend our money more wisely. DoF and structure behind that is what determines our medium term success.

I must be hms conqueror as I posted about jol same time you did.

Pinky finger shake.

Don't tell me what you wished for or it won't happen.

I hoped levy remains at the helm till this Christmas at least.

Conte's specific reset of the game was to draw oppo up the pitch but when I now see De Zerbi's Brighton's version of this, it's like watching a different sport!

I think what he is doing in deep build-up is totally unique and as such I expect will be emulated next season, just as the entire league has almost gone with playing a back three now. But the teams that are first to brake away from the norm do tend to have the surprise and do well until the problem is solved.
Bring back Redknapp, 442 big man/little man up top and get it in the facking mixer

All good with Postocoglou as a coach.

They still need to fucking get a structure at the club in terms of DOF and a direction, identity.

Unless the plan is that Ange becomes the DOF, direction, and Identity?
Then I'm not sure that's a great idea at all.
Nail the DoF (by that I mean one that is good that has a philosophy and owns the philosophy and strategy to implement it) and the Coaches to a degree become interchangeable. For things to be perfect then obviously Head Coach is crucial, but if the philosophy is in place you can make successive hires e.g Potter, followed by Di Zerbi, followed by 'X', 'Y', 'Z' etc...

Back
Top Bottom